User Tag List

First 123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Discworld books!

you get mythical creatures AND parody of other works of literature or historical/social phenomena!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Yeah, maybe you're right. I guess I just don't like the idea of having the background mystery of it all already revealed to me now. That's the kind of stuff that sparks my imagination. Actually I think it's the only thing that will do.

I'll look at Discworld. It sounds interesting, but I'm not sure about that one ;P

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I've enjoyed them so far... there's several different story lines you can choose from
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    I need a good recommendation for a book to read.
    I am surprised how few have read, "The Origin of Species", by Charles Darwin. It is an easily accessible book. And vital for understanding who we are.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

I need a good recommendation for a book to read. I honestly don't really like reading novels very much as the bland writing styles most authors use really just bore me; I find it hard to imagine and care about what I'm reading when this happens.

The only book I can actually say I enjoyed reading and read it entirely from the first page to the last without even realizing that I was reading anything was Amazon.com: Knee-Deep in the Dead (Doom, Book 1) (9780671525552): Dafydd ab Hugh, Brad Linaweaver: Books.

I would like to get into reading a little bit, but don't know what would be similar to this book. Mostly I would like a book that details surroundings of what is going on along with the main characters internal thoughts about everything, and it pretty much has to be...um...exciting...so an adventure of some sort that involves survival fiction...and if it is horrific, that's very exciting. That seems to be the only things I can really absorb myself into.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I must agree that Knee deep in the dead was startlingly good. The three sequels after are pretty interesting but not nearly on the same level as the first.

Considering yeur reaction to lord of the rings, I wasn't surprised there either. Yeu seem to have the same preferance of flow and word choice I do; tolkien can make a wonderful world and history, languages, etc... but his ability to tell a story is flat out piss poor. He gets way too caught up in trying to give so much detail that things drag on and on and on and on and on. I don't need 3 pages describing whot the inn looks like. It's an INN. It looks like an inn!

Now, that being said, I have several recommendations which I think yeu'll find to yeur liking from whot yeu've said so far.

Mechwarrior: Ghost War by Michael A. Stackpole; this's quite possibly the single best book I've ever read. For being the first novel in the start of a new series, they chose an excellent author to get it right. Between setting up the new history that people need to know, the current issues at hand, and still managing to fit in complex, interesting characters, and a detailed storyline at the same time, while keeping it going at a nice pace with wonderful intricacies and alot of parts yeu have to stop and think on, it's one of those few yeu just really don't want to put down.

Bring me the head of prince charming by Roger Zelazny and Robert Sheckley; Excellent storyline, though it does weaken a little bit near the end due to so much going on at once that it can get a little confusing to some, I think yeu'll be able to follow along just fine. Excellent storytelling, and great characters and premise.

ALIENS: Alien Harvest by Robert Sheckley; Weird I didn't even know he wrote this and the previous one until I just checked the authors XD This's seriously the best of the aliens books that I've seen. It's like if all the other aliens novels were Alien 3, or ressurection, and this was ALIENS the 2nd movie XD It keeps the same feeling as the actual ALIENS movie, though it's set significantly in the future after the events of some other books. The important parts are explained well enough, without being hand fed like a history book though, so yeu can get into the actual story.

Shadowrun: Never Trust An Elf by Robert N. Charrette; I LOVES the shadowrun series, but alot of the books assume yeu're familiar with the universe already. Never trust an elf is probably the most self-contained one I've seen. Good characters, sets up the history of the universe extremely well without making it feel like a chore. While the plot's a little lacking, the overall writing style is a good read and hard to put down regardless of that fact.

ANGELMASS by Timothy Zahn; 500 pages of fairly hardcore sci-fi stuffs. If yeu like physics, morality, philosophy and don't mind a stupid amount of scientific terms getting in the way of the story, the actual storyline itself is quite interesting. I found myself giggling wildly at some realizations at the end of it myself, but it's a little dry of a read compared to the previous titles suggested. Not 100% sure whot yeur preferences are, just have whot yeu've said so far. Everything before this would be pretty much guaranteed a match for yeu, this one is a possibility but not sure.

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett; humour, wonderful pacing, excellent storyline, interesting character design, though the main villian turned out to be kinda generic. The stuff on the dwarves are pure epic win though, and Vimes, as always, is <3 Well worth reading if yeu like anything even remotely related to brittish humour or comedy of any sort really. If yeu hate comedy, don't bother though.

Anyways hope this helps! The top few are pretty much guaranteed as I chose ones very similar in style to the doom novel yeu'd mentioned. Seriously, if nothing else, treat yeurself to Ghost War.

Edit: after rereading the first post, I think yeu'd probably like ALIENS: Alien Harvest, and Ghost War the best of the list. Shadowrun is also pretty dark and that particular one does involve alot of suspense/horror, but not sure if it'd be the best choice, but it'd be a good way to get into the shadowrun series if nothing else. They started printing more shadowrun novels recently so there's lots out there to read if yeu like it =3 Same with the Mechwarrior: Dark Age series, though both series are written by random authors for each novel so it's random whot quality yeu'll get sadly.

^ Sweet, thanks . I'm going to try Mechwarrior first.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I am surprised how few have read, "The Origin of Species", by Charles Darwin. It is an easily accessible book. And vital for understanding who we are.
    I need a puke emoticon for this ;P. Wait, this one kinda works . Someone tried giving me his book one day at my school. They were handing them out or something on the campus free-speech space to mock the Christian guy who likes to preach that we are all going to Hell for having sex and not being married (he has little Bibles that he hands out). No one wanted Darwin's book though, lol. Seriously though how do you write a book about such a simple idea such as evolution? How do you stretch something like that out into a book? Is it a bunch of details and anecdotes on his eureka moments of evolution in various species? Sounds boring. But I guess if I was a biologist then the details might interest me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Mechwarrior: Ghost War by Michael A. Stackpole;

Shadowrun: Never Trust An Elf by Robert N. Charrette;

ANGELMASS by Timothy Zahn;
    Good calls, especially the last one. Not sure if you're a Star Wars' fan, but Stackpole also wrote some novels in the X-Wing series.

If you have patience, then I'd also suggest Kevin J Anderson's Saga of Seven Suns series.

Another writer I enjoy reading is LE Modesitt. His concept of morality and good/evil and order/chaos are very intriguing. His writing style might take some time of getting used to though.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

Someone tried giving me his book one day at my school.
    I wonder why children go to school - now I remember, they are compelled to go to school by law.

So children are not free. They are captives of a huge institution.

And as captives they never learn to think for themselves - they never learn to think for its own sake.

In fact they never learn to do anything for its own sake.

And not being able to do anything for its own sake, they are unable to experience ecstasy. So they are reduced to the ersatz ecstasy of a pill.

But even a pill doesn't save them from their fate, which is a lifetime of ressentiment.

And ressentiment is slave mentality - the morality of captives.

No wonder children hate school - no more teachers, no more books, no more teacher's dirty looks.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I like Kidnapped by Robert Lewis Stevenson. Alan Breck is a hoot.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers