User Tag List

First 123

Thread: Unschooling

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

While I'm alright with the basic premise, I think it does still require more enforcement than is given.

Alot of it depends on the child too, some it won't work well at all for... I know I myself would be HORRIBLE to be unschooled as described there. I'd never learn anything unless I'm forced to.

I WANT to learn... but I won't do it unless I have a reason to do so. Just hoping I magically pick up on things doesn't work. Even expecting me to learn stuff on my own won't. I just don't do crap all if I'm left to my own devices, I NEED school to teach me stuff XD

There's exceptions to every rule though; some will go out of their way to learn stuff simply so they can. Most children don't do that past a certain age. Some may but it's not something that's a good idea to test out at random.

If it WORKS though, I imagine it'd work better than normal, as stuff learned would make more sense and would be more likely to be remembered and understood completely rather than just forgotten, like most school stuff.

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Parents adore their children, but school teachers don't adore their pupils, anymore than the peer group adore their peers.

So home schooling is more about adoration than education.
    Well, is it to say that a person learns better if the other people around him or her actually cares about him or her and that person´s choice and willingness to learn?
    Yep, I believe that...if no one shows around that person shows a like for learning it is more likely that it influence the learning process of that person. I´ve known it first hand, when I was young I got a scholarship for a music program to learn an insturment, but I didnt take it. I had not learned the joys of music yet to the fulliest. It did not help that I had a guardian who was ignorant of music styles and choices too, untill I explored music myself and found all these genres of music and later I regreted that choice...(I still learned to play an instrument though after that).

Who knows, maybe if she had introduced me to those many genres I would have most likely taken that scholarship...
    Kindblue,from globalchatter...
    And still wonders were it has gone...

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudblue View Post
    Well, is it to say that a person learns better if the other people around him or her actually cares about him or her and that person´s choice and willingness to learn?
    Yep, I believe that...if no one shows around that person shows a like for learning it is more likely that it influence the learning process of that person. I´ve known it first hand, when I was young I got a scholarship for a music program to learn an insturment, but I didnt take it. I had not learned the joys of music yet to the fulliest. It did not help that I had a guardian who was ignorant of music styles and choices too, untill I explored music myslef and found all these genres of music and later I regreted that choice...(I still learned to play an instrument though after that).

Who knows, maybe if she had introduced me to those many genres I would have most likely taken that scholarship...
    Sure, it's just that we learn to speak our language naturally at home. But most of us are sent away to an institution to learn to read and write.

And this is because learning to speak is intuitive and learning to read and write is counter-intuitive. It is so counter-intuitive that we are compelled by law to attend the institution of school.

For instance, some Australian Aborigines won't send their children to school because they know that their spoken culture is intuitive, while the literate culture is counter-intuitive.

And quite reasonably they don't want to deracinate their children by sending them to school.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    While I'm alright with the basic premise, I think it does still require more enforcement than is given.

Alot of it depends on the child too, some it won't work well at all for... I know I myself would be HORRIBLE to be unschooled as described there. I'd never learn anything unless I'm forced to.

I WANT to learn... but I won't do it unless I have a reason to do so. Just hoping I magically pick up on things doesn't work. Even expecting me to learn stuff on my own won't. I just don't do crap all if I'm left to my own devices, I NEED school to teach me stuff XD

There's exceptions to every rule though; some will go out of their way to learn stuff simply so they can. Most children don't do that past a certain age. Some may but it's not something that's a good idea to test out at random.

If it WORKS though, I imagine it'd work better than normal, as stuff learned would make more sense and would be more likely to be remembered and understood completely rather than just forgotten, like most school stuff.
    LOL, I would be the exact same way or I would read the most irrelevant things all day long.