User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Jaguar, is that meant to clarify the contrast between Liquid Laser's mention of what you consider normal/healthy levels of confidence vis a vis Bill Gates and Warren Buffet, or did someone ask and I missed it?

Essentially, I'm asking why you posted that.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

I was making reference to the quote in Disco's original post:
    “ The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I assumed as much, I just wasn't aware it needed clarification, I guess.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Oh, wow. Thanks for this OP. This is why when I was little I swore to never trust anyone overconfident with an important task.

You guys might want to check out the link for "Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments" in that wikipedia article. The author, Kruger, has a great sense of humor.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

Epiphany

Thanks for posting this thread. The same thought has been running through my mind lately, particularly, in the realm of dating. It seems like the single most attractive attribute a man can possess is confidence, which I think is overrated compared to other qualities. The reason why I didn't have much confidence growing up is because I didn't value it as much as intelligence, kindness, and even passivity to a certain extent. I never regarded these traits as unmasculine until I realized that women view non-assertiveness in men as a weakness. I couldn't understand why neanderthals had better luck with women than I did, but I think the answer lies within their lack of self-consciousness. Ignorance is bliss, and if they can convince themselves that they're "the shit," they can certainly convince others who are just as ignorant. I find that I am slow to make judgements because I prefer to consider all possibilities first, but to some people this comes across as fickle, indecisive, and ultimately "unmasculine." F*ck gender roles!

MBTI
    ENFJ

The problem is that with this comes with the assumption that everyone confident is ignorant. So nobody wants to follow the confident guy and get anything done. And thus, we stagnate.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    The problem is that with this comes with the assumption that everyone confident is ignorant. So nobody wants to follow the confident guy and get anything done. And thus, we stagnate.
    We should try for the best of both worlds; have confidence be a neutral element. It would be unwise to believe either the confident are incompetant or the confident are competent.

The reason the latter has to be objected to alone is that it is such a common belief among humans.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

And yet it's often these less-skilled but confident people who make waves in the world.

Meh. Making waves is making waves and not much else. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

The problem is that with this comes with the assumption that everyone confident is ignorant.
    Not at all.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

true
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp