User Tag List

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default 30-day challenge

So awhile ago I discovered an interesting blog about self-improvement. No no, don't start running away, this is the first one I've seen that is
    -not cheesy
    -practical (!) and simple
    -actually useful

(You may disagree on all counts, of course)

Zen Habits | Simple Productivity

One of the core ideas presented in this blog that I really like is the 30 day challenge. Basically, you think of 1 (ONE, and only one) habit that you'd like to form/break, and then focus on following it every day for 30 days...the idea being that after that it'll be well on its way to becoming a habit and you won't need to consciously think about it anymore...and then you can move on to another habit if you want.

You can use a trigger to remind you to do your habit (the example they used: you want to form the habit of brushing your teeth daily, so you use the trigger of showering and focus on brushing your teeth after you get out of the shower every day). You can make a chart and mark down the days you stick to it/break it if you want, but I prefer to keep track mentally. It's a really simple, obvious idea, but not one that I'd tend to use normally.

Anyway, I thought other people might be interested in joining in. I'm sure everyone has at least one habit they'd like to form/break, and maybe having a bunch of people doing it along with you would help with keeping to it.

Whoever wants to participate, you can check into this thread daily (or whenever) to share your progress.

EDIT: mods, feel free to move this to the blog section if you want, since it doesn't seem to be a multi-player event.

========

So I'll start.

Day 1:

My habit I want to break is leaving a trail of dirty dishes and garbage in rooms behind me. My trigger is getting up to leave the room (I need to start looking around the room at that time to see if I'm leaving dishes behind). And my progress so far is...not good. Which is why the need for the habit, of course.

Day 2:

Still not very good. I did remember once twice though. And when I forget, I usually notice that I've forgotten before too long.

Day 3:

Remembered twice, forgot 3-4 times. Meh.

Day 4:

It's really hard to remember to think about this! It's getting frustrating.

Day 5-6:

Well, I spent the last two days playing video games and therefore being too distracted to eat, so I'm pretty sure I didn't make many dishes regardless.
    Last edited by Randomnity; 12-17-2007 at 12:19 AM.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

For the next month: Do around 30 minutes or more of some sort of movement exercise a day. (Running, walking for 45 minutes or so, etc.) Alo, keep up weight lifting, sit ups, etc. (My routine got disrupted over thanksgiving, but also wasn't heavy enough to have an effect.)

Edit:

Day 1: successfully did 30 min. of running in place.

Day 2: Did not do it thanks to a stomache ache.

Day 3: Am doing it right after typing this.

Day 4: did not do it, was packing an move out of the apartment day for me.

Day 5: Did not do it, no good reason.

Day 6: Did an hour-15 or hour-30 minute walk (didn't time it exactly.)

Day 7: Did an hour walk

Day 8: Nothing.

Day 9: 1 hour -1:30 walk

Day 10: Nothing

Day 11: Nothing.

Days 12-16: Nothing (Was on vacation, and was sick a little. So far this is not working that well, I'll be starting up again tomorrow and hopefully can finish off with getting this habit going.)

Edit: I'm not actually sure what day it's on now, but with this thread I now actually have a motivation to show something for it, so will just be pushing myself to do some sort of exercise.

For this week (January 1st week): Sunday, Monday, Tuesday: walk. Wednesday, Thursday: No walk.
    Last edited by Zergling; 01-03-2008 at 07:09 PM.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

Where is the 30-day challenge again? I can't see it.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Yay Zergling! Glad you're joining me. Sorry for the delayed response, I've been 'unplugged' for a few days.

The challenge is described briefly here Habits - Zen Habits but it's really pretty simple and exactly what it sounds like.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Helpful.

I'm going to try out stopping my nail biting...
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

Well, I just completed 42 days of no meat, no eggs, and I am really craving seafood right now.

Unfortunately, I have to last till the 27th.

I don't think it counts for your thing though-- since I do this every year, and it is like lent for Catholics.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

Can somebody please post the 30day challenge link that goes directly to the 30-day challenge?

I can't find it. Grrr...

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by anii View Post
    Can somebody please post the 30day challenge link that goes directly to the 30-day challenge?

I can't find it. Grrr...
    This is fairly close to what I meant: Why the 30-day Challenge Worked (with a June Challenge) | Zen Habits

Their pointers:

1. Choose an easy goal. Don’t decide to do something really hard, at least for now. Later, when you’re good at habit changes, you can choose something harder. But for now, do something you know you can do every day.
    2. Choose something measurable. You should be able to say, definitely, whether you were successful or not today. If you choose exercise, set a number of minutes or something similar (20 minutes of exercise daily, for example). Whatever your goal, have a measurement.
    3. Be consistent. You want to do your habit change at the same time every day, if possible. If you’re going to exercise, do it at 7 a.m. (or 6 p.m.) every day, for example. This makes it more likely to become a habit.
    4. Report regularly. I would recommend you check-in every day, or at least every 2 days. Those who checked in every day were much, much more successful than those who didn’t.
    Oh, and I lost motivation for my challenge, but I started it again with the new year for a fresh start. (Zerg, you got me beat! I quit about the same time I stopped updating....lol)

So:

Day 1 (Jan 2): I made a conscious effort to remember to bring my plates to the kitchen in the afternoon. After dinner I left my empty plate in the living room without thinking, so I failed that part, but did come back and clean it up before too long. I still want to form the habit of unconsciously checking for dirty dishes when I leave a room though...

Day 2 (Jan 3): I haven't eaten anything requiring dishes all day. I did bring my leftover food down shortly after finishing eating though, that's gotta count for something....

Day 3 (Jan 4): I forgot my plate a couple times but remembered to check the third time...

Day 4 (Jan 5): forgot once, remembered next time.

Day 5 (Jan 6): don't remember

Day 6 (Jan 7): I definitely forgot a couple times but remembered eventually...

Day 7 (Jan 8): initially forgot my breakfast bowl, then came back for it after 30 seconds of "what did I forget??" feeling. Forgot plate the first time, remember when I came back to the room

Day 8 (Jan 9): same thing, forgot first time, remembered next time. I guess that's something but it's really not good enough for me....

Day 9-10 (Jan 10-11): I have no idea. Mediocrity?

Day 11 (Jan 12): I think I remembered once and forgot once.

Day 12 (Jan 13): I actually wrote it down so I didn't forget: remembered to put my cup/bowl away, forgot a cup once, remembered next time. Also checked a couple times as I was leaving the room but found no dishes to put away.

Day 13 (Jan 14): I didn't use any dishes, except a spoon, which I forgot about.
    Last edited by Randomnity; 01-14-2008 at 07:01 PM.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Day 2 (Jan 3): I haven't eaten anything requiring dishes all day.
    This would *so* be my solution to the issue. The true "P" way of achieving goals yet managing to underachieve while doing so. Hurrah!

Seriously, good for you - stick with it!

I am going to work my way up to exercising regularly.

I haven't exercised in over a year. By exercise, I mean: "Physical exertion for the purposes of improving health."

First goal:Exercise 5-min one time by Tuesday April 1st., and record that I have done so here(starting off small, to make sure I can succeed).

Played an hour and half of basketball April 1st. Tiring but fun. It also revealed to me that not only am I out of shape, but my reaction time is worse too.

Second goal:Play again on Thursday April 3rd. and Saturday April 5th, making it 30+ minutes of exercise (working my way up to the 30-day challenge)
    Last edited by ygolo; 04-02-2008 at 02:50 AM. Reason: tried again, again

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield