User Tag List

First 123 Last

Pollyanna

Mrs Isabel Briggs Myers invented MBTI to avoid her depression, and played the role of Pollyanna all her life.

So MBTI is for those who want to play the role of Pollyanna and avoid their own depression.

Of course the role of Pollyanna is a psychological defence against depression and sometimes depression breaks through.

Mrs Isabel Briggs Myers was lucky because she lived in a society that loves Pollyannas, just as they love salesmen, and indeed they are selling themselves to one another all the time, so the role of Pollyanna is handsomely rewarded.

It takes someone like myself outside of this culture to see how phoney the Pollyanna role is.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Though on a bright side, you can take a break from anti-MBTI prose of questionable relevance and great similarity to another OP I remember reading

still, I like you here- you're a warm presence
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It takes someone like myself outside of this culture to see how phoney the Pollyanna role is.
    Holden Caulfield is alive.

Aw... saslou... do you need a tag blanket???

Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I experience this from time to time, its not the forum in all likelihood, hope you're feeling better soon

Hey vic, humor me for a second. If we assume she was just playing a Pollyanna role, then does that have to mean her MBTI system is useless to people? Or better yet, if you are so against MBTI in every shape, piece, and form it has, then are you also against all personality theories as you have constantly suggested? If you said yes, I'm afraid your own judgments in personality theory are one-sided and biased. I like to hope this would bother you if true.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

For what its worth OP is one of my favorite posters.

Consider a break but please please please come back (at least as long as I'm here). I have been in your head space before and its often as easy as taking a short break to gain this fresh prospective.

Special blessings sent your way.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    I am not attacking this site by any means, i am aware of the benefits to all the users.

I am just being very honest here .. In my case, for the last week that i have been here I've logged off feeling like total shit.

Has anyone else felt like this??
    Yes, I get dispirited with things around here sometimes too, but I keep coming back largely for the friends I've made here, and to "stay connected".

Taking a break may help, or simply cherry-pick the threads you read and/or participate in. I know that there are a lot of threads that I just don't "fit" with, in that I'm more often baffled and sometimes frustrated than intrigued when I read them.

But first thing, of course, is take care of yourself . If you do decide to take a break, people will still be here if/when you decide to come back .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I find that comparing myself to others, whether favourably or unfavourably, always makes me feel worse.

People are so complicated that you can't really compare anyway - strengths and weaknesses vary across different areas, in different situations, at different times. Not to mention, what you think a person's strengths and weakness are will often differ from what they think, which will differ again from the objective truth.

I find that what helps me stop comparing is focusing on myself and finding ways to improve/emphasize my strengths. If it helps you to take a break from here, by all means! There've been some periods where I didn't come here for weeks because I was so sick of certain topics and/or people. I actually did feel better (more productive) by staying away, though I still enjoy the forum in general so I come back eventually.

I have stopped reading certain thread-types entirely though, as well as almost anything posted in the politics subforum, which tends to attract the most vehement/circular arguments, and I feel that my forum experience is much improved as a result (I used to read pretty much everything!)
    -end of thread-

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Hey vic, humor me for a second. If we assume she was just playing a Pollyanna role, then does that have to mean her MBTI system is useless to people? Or better yet, if you are so against MBTI in every shape, piece, and form it has, then are you also against all personality theories as you have constantly suggested? If you said yes, I'm afraid your own judgments in personality theory are one-sided and biased. I like to hope this would bother you if true.
    I'd love to humour you. And yes, I am one sided and biased - I am on my side and biased towards myself in the sure knowledge that you will correct my bias.

So first we fall toward me, then we fall towards you.

We all fall about - sometimes laughing and sometimes we get the sulks.

You throw the ball toward me, and I throw the ball towards you.

And you get to throw the ball every time you post.