MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Default Poor little tyke

I'm enraged right now.
    I live next door (but one) to a junkie household where there are two kids who go in and out of social services care. I'm outraged ot see the older child has been put back with his mother again. He's been outside on the street for the last two hours looking utterly dejected, there are various junkies hanging around, all ignoring him. He's about 8 years old and really should be being looked after.
    About two years ago in winter, when it was snowing, i had to go out to him as he had been calling her name trying to get into the house for at least an hour, he must have been about 6 then and he just had a vest on and no shoes. He was freezing and his skin was purplish, i had to shout through her letterbox and threaten to break her door if she didn't open it.
    The thing is, i don't believe the mother is a bad person but i am positive she can not look after this child and i am disgusted that social services keep sending the kids back home when their mother has done nothing to get off the smack and crack she has been on for years.
    There is a dealer supplying them who lives a couple of doors away the other side. Getting involved on a personal level is a definate No (except in emergencies), i have learnt that the hard way with previous neighbours where i used to live-it ended badly.
    It just makes me so angry that this poor kid has been put back into an environment where he is totally neglected....
    Thoughts?
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

yeah...i feel sick now.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

so unfortunate. it would be very difficult for me to be around that and not get involved but being involved probably isn't safe for you. it kills me to hear about children in those situations.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

me too...that's the exact reason i thought of being a social worker years ago...but god imagine what that social worker has to go through when the law isn't on her side...if she has no power to make it right....hands tied due to some bureaucracy....i couldn't live with that....but i guess the times you do help have to make it worth it....so sad.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    It just makes me so angry that this poor kid has been put back into an environment where he is totally neglected....
    Thoughts?
    You can become the mom in the neighborhood whose house is the place where the kids always go. Even that's a big step, but it can allow you to serve milk and cookies without having to have anything to say about your neighbors or their lifestyles.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

It's bloody heartbreaking, he always looks in my window hopefully. He used to knock on my door and i had him in to play once but he was only about 5 then and wondering around outside on his own. I had to go ask his mother and then i had loads of junkies trying to come in to collect him. Then they started ringing my bell at all hours asking for tea bags and ciggerettes and trying to sell me random stolen shit.
    I have kids myself and they have special needs and i grew up with a lot of junkie adults around and i just can't have it around my kids.
    I thought of calling social services annon but i'm not sure if it would help seeing as they keep sending them back despite the obvious fact that nothing has changed.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Oberon

You didn't make this situation, and it's not your fault... but now you've got to decide whether you're going to get involved, and then you have to live with your decision.

Is there a Big Brother/Big Sister program where you live?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

ughh...yeah you can't have that around your kids. i might call tho and just talk with them about it...maybe there's an activity center in the area they can go during the day? can they not have free child care by the state at least? so they have some sense of normalcy?
    -Jim Morrison

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    You didn't make this situation, and it's not your fault... but now you've got to decide whether you're going to get involved, and then you have to live with your decision.

Is there a Big Brother/Big Sister program where you live?
    Nope, I don't even know what that is. I'm in London in the U.K. It's really very hard for me to get involved, the last time i got involved in something i had to be moved by the police for my own safety whilst the other party served a setance at her majesty's lesuire.

MBTI
    ISTP

Now I don't feel hungry anymore. =(