User Tag List

First 12

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I would think everybody does this to some degree.
    Is anybody always the same with everyone?
    What about your personal feelings for people?
    Don't they determine how you behave to someone?
    Do you behave with your partner as you do with your neighbor?
    When you are out with just the girls or guys are you the same
    as when the crowd is mixed, or when you are when you are one on one with a single friend.. what about this friend's gender?
    Do you act the same with members of the opposite sex the same way you do with people of the same sex?
    Do you act the same way in front of your partners parents as you do your own?
    Think about your behavior with your workmates when the boss is around and the the boss isn't..
    I could go on.. But I'll spare you.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post

The first time I read about this trait, I was a bit shocked. Simply because I had never really heard a tendency that I possessed described to me in such a way, as well as why I did it. I had noticed it before: adopting language, adopting body language, adopting expressions and euphemisms of those around me. Sometimes I'd say something in a manner so unlike myself I'd wonder if someone had found my remote control and was just pressing buttons willy nilly. It leads to a sort of...ebb and flow of engaging in such mimicry vs. distancing oneself from that group in order to regain control of oneself. Sometimes I think this can be a reason for INTP tendency for hot and coldness: we figure out we're operating bizarrely in response to some stimulus and recede from it in order to inspect what is going on.

Apparently [and I concur] we can do this because we want to understand and assimilate another person's or group's position and viewpoint, so mimicry ensues. Do what they do, and soon you will see how they see. Also, maybe it doubles as a social defense mechanism. How these people interact seems to be working for them, and I want to be part of this group, and since I am terrible at being able to derive the rules these people operate by, I'll copy them until I can understand a bit better. I do think that, eventually, we may stop and begin to interject a little more of ourselves into interaction once we understand better. Or the opposite: we have decided we don't like you and you'll find a cold, disinterested, asshole of an INTP looking back at you. At least in my case.

One of the reasons we might be able to gravitate towards certain people with normally uncharacteristic enthusiasm is when we don't seem to have to do this mimicry. The interaction goes along so smoothly, and idea exchange is so fluid and without lost meaning it's almost a drug.

Is it fake? I guess you can say so. We're presenting an image of our surroundings in order to fit in. But really, is any kind of interaction not somewhat fallacious in terms of the genuine nature of the exchange? There's always a tiny bit of editing in presentation; ours just seems to be on another level.

I've been asked that if this is the case, what am I like when I'm alone? Well, can see the video challenge for one With no one to extract rules from, I present myself with relative neutrality, at least I think so. It seems odd because most people at least emote. When I'm by myself...I don't. It's a bizarre question, to me, because it seems like it should be an obvious answer, but it's not.

Natural disclaimer that these are my just my thoughts. If other INTPs don't notice this or want challenge certain parts, go for it.
    Some of my thoughts about why/when INTPs do it.

MBTI
    ISTP

If you want something, you have to try to fit in.

Sad as that may be.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by No Exit View Post
    Do you behave with your partner as you do with your neighbor?
    God forbid!

And as to the rest of your post - no, I certainly am not the same when around different people, however, the difference between me and a few other people here is that i don't change my physical appearance in order to make some kind of weird impression on the unsuspecting idiots i come into contact with. You know you do this, you who shall remain nameless bob.

MBTI
    ISTP

The majority of highly skilled social chameleons would not respond to this unless they're feeling divulgent

I will tell you that it is about preventing others' ignorance from negatively influencing your agenda, I always do my best to avoid abusing it to manipulate or use people maliciously.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNoLimits View Post
    The majority of highly skilled social chameleons would not respond to this unless they're feeling divulgent

I will tell you that it is about preventing others' ignorance from negatively influencing your agenda, I always do my best to avoid abusing it to manipulate or use people maliciously.
    this pretty much sums up what my thoughts were, I was wondering if it was because a person didn't want anyone else to get in the way of personal plans and objectives. So if it's not social, or to cover up an insecurity, it's more of a defense mechanism?

When I do it, I notice and try to ask myself why I'm changing myself. If it's for good reason, I'll continue, if it's to cover up because I feel naked, well I try my best to come out of my shell. I'm a pretty open person in general, but that whole soft squishy interior thing I happen to be protective over gets in the way sometimes.

On a type to type basis, any other ENFJ's do the Chameleon thingy? (yes I said thingy. Shut up.)
    Kymlee: Life Story
    ENFJ
    sx/so/sp
    2w3
    Libra (Sun)
    "When you run into someone who is disagreeable to others, you may be sure he is uncomfortable with himself; the amount of pain we inflict upon others is directly proportional to the amount we feel within us."
    -Sydney J. Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Kymlee View Post
    On a type to type basis, any other ENFJ's do the Chameleon thingy? (yes I said thingy. Shut up.)
    My good ENFJ friend does it ALL THE TIME. In some cases she will even begin to mimic people's accents, which makes me feel embarrassed for some reason.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    My good ENFJ friend does it ALL THE TIME. In some cases she will even begin to mimic people's accents, which makes me feel embarrassed for some reason.
    omg I've done that. But not because I was actually trying, I thought I was weird and just picked up on accents really quickly!
    Sometimes, clients call and they'll be from Southern USA and I will answer back with a slight hint of their accent. Its actually wicked embarrassing for me, its a subconscious thing. lol all I can think about here is that movie called "The Master of Disguise"
    hahaha

anyhow, I'm from northeast USA (New England) but I don't have that exaggerated NE accent, so I moved to Hawai'i in 2008 and I picked up on their slang and dictions, called "Hawaiian-Pidgin" really fast, but I never meant to be offensive, or poser-ish you know?
    Kymlee: Life Story
    ENFJ
    sx/so/sp
    2w3
    Libra (Sun)
    "When you run into someone who is disagreeable to others, you may be sure he is uncomfortable with himself; the amount of pain we inflict upon others is directly proportional to the amount we feel within us."
    -Sydney J. Harris

MBTI
    SEXY

Hmm, all Fe users have something of a chameleon ability. But since XXFJ's use their Fe more naturally than XXTP's, Id reckon the term chameleon applies more to XXTP's.
    (removed)

We all do this to some degree. It's interesting but predictable that those who rate high in empathy do it more.

We're All Copycats | Psychology Today

...students who rated high on empathy were more likely to imitate others. "Those who pay more attention mimic more," says Chartrand—and make more friends in the process.