User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    1.I think therefore I am
    I wanted to say that! :steam:

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    What is it that inspires you to be something? When you close your eyes and sleep, does everything disapear, or just you?
    I don't even think I am inspired to be something, I just go with the flow. Usually I just feel the need to get up in the morning and start doing things, being "something" because the alternative would be not so...useful...it's not really a good word, but being completely useless is not something I want to be. Now, this does not mean that I am being useful to the rest of the world, but I am certainly trying to live up to my own standards of being "useful".

When I was a little kid I used to think that when I close the TV, all the programs would stop running until I turned it back on again. I was disappointed to learn otherwise. I have that feeling, or rather wish, that when I go to sleep, the rest of the world should be on hold. I don't want to miss anything. But yes, I think that for those precious few hours every night I do disappear and so does the rest of the world as I know it. It disappears for me and for others who sleep. But the life goes on and on and on...

I had a thought today, after I discovered that all the posts from yesterday had disappeared. I felt empty. I know they existed at that precise moment, but they're gone now, so they don't exist anymore. What's the point really? Would I have done something "better" with the time spent writing those posts? Maybe there is no point. But maybe they changed someone's life just a little bit after they read them. Nobody knows...

Maybe believing that I do exist makes me exist?

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

If I thought I don't exist or that there is a possibility that I don't exist, I'd be ignorant.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

[youtube=jZbLn4tBns0] [/youtube]
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I can know nothing for certain about the perspective of others. All I can know with absolute certainty is that my own perspective positively confirms my existence.

With regard to other matters, other perspectives as communicated to me may certainly come to bear. As for that which "seems"... what is this "seems" of which you speak?

well, to me, nothing is ever certain (so things just 'seem' to be). But having that perspective just seems to leave me with no grounding point. Nothing solid to lean on. So I guess your own existence is that grounding point. You need to assume this in order to ground yourself... funny that this is where philosophy starts (at least I think it was??).

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Define "exist" first, please.

There are things happening around me. I observe. I act. I influence the world around me. Existing things are things that can interact. I interact, therefore I exist.

Even while sleeping, the mattress under me is deformed because of my weight. Maybe I'm not conscious while I sleep, but that doesn't defer me from existing.

What if I'm just some character in a huge computer game, like in The Matrix? Who cares whether reality is defined in terms of matter or in terms of code? I'm more able to conduct myself holding the matter-based view of existence.

If it quacks like a duck...
    hmmm, how could you define existence? It almost seems undefinable to me
    5 3 9

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    I had a thought today, after I discovered that all the posts from yesterday had disappeared. I felt empty. I know they existed at that precise moment, but they're gone now, so they don't exist anymore. What's the point really? Would I have done something "better" with the time spent writing those posts? Maybe there is no point. But maybe they changed someone's life just a little bit after they read them. Nobody knows...
    I actually think about that kind of thing regarding all of the thoughts that I have that are just ungraspable, or all of the beautiful experiences which are so transient, or all of the amazing little moments which are gone so quickly... I used to feel pretty sad about it, and still sort of do, but I just tell myself they have become absorbed into me, they are a part of me, carried along on some subconscious level as I walk through life. That the experience itself has altered me in imperceivable but meaningful ways...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I actually think about that kind of thing regarding all of the thoughts that I have that are just ungraspable, or all of the beautiful experiences which are so transient, or all of the amazing little moments which are gone so quickly... I used to feel pretty sad about it, and still sort of do, but I just tell myself they have become absorbed into me, they are a part of me, carried along on some subconscious level as I walk through life. That the experience itself has altered me in imperceivable but meaningful ways...
    Yes! Exactly! I feel the same way. Especially about the bolded part. I like to think that everything I experience, people I meet, give something meaningful to me and whatever I happen to share does the same for others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Yes! Exactly! I feel the same way. Especially about the bolded part. I like to think that everything I experience, people I meet, give something meaningful to me and whatever I happen to share does the same for others as well.
    It probably does...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

If something is perceived than it possibly exists as the person perceiving would be the perceiver and the perceiver must exist or else the other existence would not be able to be perceived so the perceiver and the perceived must exist for perception itself to even exist.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    What is it that inspires you to be something?
    Helping people, To see the face of someone that was in need turn from despair to hope. Its in the little things that we do for others that really show who you are.
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I was quite disturbed about that concept after watching the movie Waking Life years ago... then it occurred to me "why bother worrying as long as I'm not bored?"

of course there was also the time that I thought I was a hologram, but that's another story
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett