User Tag List

MBTI
    estj

Default emotions and the T/F function

Hello everyone,

In the following video, Tony Robbins says that the moment you decide to focus on something you give it meaning and whatever that meaning is produces emotion. This emotion then creates what we are going to do, or the action.

YouTube - Tony Robbins: Why we do what we do, and how we can do it better

I am having trouble reconciling this information with the thinking/feeling function.

Am I correct to assume that emotions implies the feeling function?

Is the above statement universal in that everybody's decisions are based on their emotions?

Does the statement rule out thinking as a decision making function?

thanks for your thoughts :)

MBTI
    INTJ

Ouch. 22 minute video
    Q: "What is the process of seeking the truth?"
    A: "Distilled liquor"

Q: "If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?"
    A: "Between a starving prostitute and a steak sandwich."

Q:How would a mathematician capture an elephant?
    A:He would build a cage, step inside, and rename his new location as "outside."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by p0l0mint View Post
    Hello everyone,

Not in the sense I think you mean, no. Everyone has emotions, of course, unless they are severly brain damaged. The thinking /feeling divide is more to do with what gets a persons interest. Fi and Fe types are more interested in how things effect people and emotions. Ti and Te types are more interested in things and pragmatic issues.

Hello everyone,

In the following video, Tony Robbins says that the moment you decide to focus on something you give it meaning and whatever that meaning is produces emotion. This emotion then creates what we are going to do, or the action.

YouTube - Tony Robbins: Why we do what we do, and how we can do it better

I am having trouble reconciling this information with the thinking/feeling function.

Is the above statement universal in that everybody's decisions are based on their emotions?

Does the statement rule out thinking as a decision making function?

thanks for your thoughts
    He's an ENFJ; that's his perspective...

ENFJs have a tendency to speak incorrectly for "everybody"...

MBTI
    estj

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyBunny View Post
    Ouch. 22 minute video
    watching the video isn't necessary, I added it for reference.

MBTI
    estj

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Not in the sense I think you mean, no. Everyone has emotions, of course, unless they are severly brain damaged. The thinking /feeling divide is more to do with what gets a persons interest. Fi and Fe types are more interested in how things effect people and emotions. Ti and Te types are more interested in things and pragmatic issues.
    I still don't understand the difference between emotions and the feeling function as it is used in typology. Doesn't feeling always imply feeling emotions? (apart when we are feeling something physically e.g feeling physical pain, or feeling a massage)

Robbins says that emotions lead to action, therefore emotions help us to decide. If you are a feeling type and you make decisions based on how things affect other people how is that different to letting emotions guide your decision making?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I still don't understand the difference between emotions and the feeling function as it is used in typology. Doesn't feeling always imply feeling emotions? (apart when we are feeling something physically e.g feeling physical pain, or feeling a massage)

Robbins says that emotions lead to action, therefore emotions help us to decide. If you are a feeling type and you make decisions based on how things affect other people how is that different to letting emotions guide your decision making?
    Yes it is, because even a healthy F type will recognise that sometimes their emotions can lead them astray. If an EFJ has a friend whos relationship is not working out, they may well feel obliged to step in try and make things better. Lets say they would rather see the two stick together, because the EFJ has been friends with both for a long time... but she really doesn't think their relationship is going to work. Thus she advises them to seperate before it becomes too bitter.

The whole issue is tied up in the emotions and social relationships involved - it's all F based, which is why the EFJ felt complelled to get involved. However, she still overruled her own feelings inorder to do what she thought would be the best thing in the long run for them.