User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    estj
    Posts
    3

    Default emotions and the T/F function

    Hello everyone,

    In the following video, Tony Robbins says that the moment you decide to focus on something you give it meaning and whatever that meaning is produces emotion. This emotion then creates what we are going to do, or the action.

    YouTube - Tony Robbins: Why we do what we do, and how we can do it better

    I am having trouble reconciling this information with the thinking/feeling function.

    Am I correct to assume that emotions implies the feeling function?

    Is the above statement universal in that everybody's decisions are based on their emotions?

    Does the statement rule out thinking as a decision making function?

    thanks for your thoughts :)

  2. #2
    Senior Member ObeyBunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Ouch. 22 minute video
    Q: "What is the process of seeking the truth?"
    A: "Distilled liquor"

    Q: "If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?"
    A: "Between a starving prostitute and a steak sandwich."

    Q:How would a mathematician capture an elephant?
    A:He would build a cage, step inside, and rename his new location as "outside."

  3. #3
    Supreme High Commander Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by p0l0mint View Post
    Hello everyone,

    Am I correct to assume that emotions implies the feeling function?
    Not in the sense I think you mean, no. Everyone has emotions, of course, unless they are severly brain damaged. The thinking /feeling divide is more to do with what gets a persons interest. Fi and Fe types are more interested in how things effect people and emotions. Ti and Te types are more interested in things and pragmatic issues.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by p0l0mint View Post
    Hello everyone,

    In the following video, Tony Robbins says that the moment you decide to focus on something you give it meaning and whatever that meaning is produces emotion. This emotion then creates what we are going to do, or the action.

    YouTube - Tony Robbins: Why we do what we do, and how we can do it better

    I am having trouble reconciling this information with the thinking/feeling function.

    Am I correct to assume that emotions implies the feeling function?

    Is the above statement universal in that everybody's decisions are based on their emotions?

    Does the statement rule out thinking as a decision making function?

    thanks for your thoughts
    He's an ENFJ; that's his perspective...

    ENFJs have a tendency to speak incorrectly for "everybody"...

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    estj
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ObeyBunny View Post
    Ouch. 22 minute video
    watching the video isn't necessary, I added it for reference.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    estj
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Not in the sense I think you mean, no. Everyone has emotions, of course, unless they are severly brain damaged. The thinking /feeling divide is more to do with what gets a persons interest. Fi and Fe types are more interested in how things effect people and emotions. Ti and Te types are more interested in things and pragmatic issues.
    I still don't understand the difference between emotions and the feeling function as it is used in typology. Doesn't feeling always imply feeling emotions? (apart when we are feeling something physically e.g feeling physical pain, or feeling a massage)

    Robbins says that emotions lead to action, therefore emotions help us to decide. If you are a feeling type and you make decisions based on how things affect other people how is that different to letting emotions guide your decision making?

  7. #7
    Supreme High Commander Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by p0l0mint View Post
    I still don't understand the difference between emotions and the feeling function as it is used in typology. Doesn't feeling always imply feeling emotions? (apart when we are feeling something physically e.g feeling physical pain, or feeling a massage)

    Robbins says that emotions lead to action, therefore emotions help us to decide. If you are a feeling type and you make decisions based on how things affect other people how is that different to letting emotions guide your decision making?
    Yes it is, because even a healthy F type will recognise that sometimes their emotions can lead them astray. If an EFJ has a friend whos relationship is not working out, they may well feel obliged to step in try and make things better. Lets say they would rather see the two stick together, because the EFJ has been friends with both for a long time... but she really doesn't think their relationship is going to work. Thus she advises them to seperate before it becomes too bitter.

    The whole issue is tied up in the emotions and social relationships involved - it's all F based, which is why the EFJ felt complelled to get involved. However, she still overruled her own feelings inorder to do what she thought would be the best thing in the long run for them.

Similar Threads

  1. Psyche-Type, the MBTI and the so-called "Function Fetish"
    By Article Poster in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-17-2014, 10:10 PM
  2. Life experience and the S/N functions.
    By Hemogl0bin in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 11:04 AM
  3. WTF? Lennore Thompson's book and the secondary function
    By sculpting in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 07:15 PM
  4. J/P and the Dominant Function
    By Kuro in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-15-2009, 06:26 AM
  5. Jungian functions and the brain
    By TaylorS in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 02:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO