User Tag List

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default Shyness equated with Introvertedness. Annoying?

I just found this article, it's titled: Shyness is all in your brain / Introverted individuals may process the world a bit differently

The brains of shy or introverted individuals might actually process the world differently than their more extroverted counterparts, a new study suggests.

About 20 percent of people are born with a personality trait called sensory perception sensitivity that can manifest itself as the tendency to be inhibited, or even neuroticism. The trait can be seen in some children who are "slow to warm up" in a situation but eventually join in, need little punishment, cry easily, ask unusual questions or have especially deep thoughts, the study researchers say.

The new results show that these highly sensitive individuals also pay more attention to detail, and have more activity in certain regions of their brains when trying to process visual information than those who are not classified as highly sensitive.

The study was conducted by researchers at Stony Brook University in New York, and Southwest University and the Chinese Academy of Sciences, both in China. The results were published March 4 in the journal Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience.

Individuals with this highly sensitive trait prefer to take longer to make decisions, are more conscientious, need more time to themselves in order to reflect, and are more easily bored with small talk, research suggests.

Sensitive all around?
    Previous work has also shown that compared with others those with a highly sensitive temperament are more bothered by noise and crowds, more affected by caffeine, and more easily startled. That is, the trait seems to confer sensitivity all around.

The researchers in the current study propose the simple sensory sensitivity to noise, pain, or caffeine is a side effect of an inborn preference to pay more attention to experiences.
    ^This is only the first half. I just wanted to quote enough to make my point.

Is anyone else really annoyed by the way Introvertedness is equated with shyness, being "highly sensitive" and even neuroticism in this article?

I don't think it would annoy me so much if there weren't so many people irl- who I have to interact with on a somewhat regular basis (and I can't be the only introvert who butts heads with these kinds of people) - that don't seem willing to grasp the difference. And people who don't 'get' how introverts need time alone to recharge can be inadvertantly condescending, trying to 'fix' the way I need time alone by throwing silly affirmations at me (because they project their own insecurities as being the underlying reason I 'claim' to need time alone). It doesn't happen a lot, but it happens enough to make finding articles like this grating.

So, anyone else kind of feel like this article is casting Introvertedness in a particularly insecure and somewhat pathological light?
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Logically I could assume that an E is more likely to be shy and insecure.. since the opinions of others seem to matter more to them.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    So, anyone else kind of feel like this article is casting Introvertedness in a particularly insecure and somewhat pathological light?
    Hmmm. I didn't get that at all from the article. It coincides nicely with what I've already learned about HSP's (Highly Sensitive People). I fit the HSP description myself (probably more so as a child). The Highly Sensitive Person

HSP traits, at least from my perspective, have a lot of overlap with my introversion. And the information in this article just further confirms all of this for me.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Hmmm. I didn't get that at all from the article. It coincides nicely with what I've already learned about HSP's (Highly Sensitive People). I fit the HSP description myself (probably more so as a child). The Highly Sensitive Person

HSP traits, at least from my perspective, have a lot of overlap with my introversion. And the information in this article just further confirms all of this for me.
    I've read about HSP before, and it did occur to me while reading the article that it might be applicable about some introverts. My quam with it is that it kind of implies it the reason behind all introvertedness. Basically I started this thread because I'm wondering how many other introverts get annoyed by this stigma.

Individuals with this highly sensitive trait prefer to take longer to make decisions, are more conscientious, need more time to themselves in order to reflect, and are more easily bored with small talk, research suggests.
    See, ^this part- to me- simply describes the condition of being introverted. I'm not sure why it bothers me to have the 'highly sensitive' label slapped on to it. I'm just wondering if that ever bothers anyone else.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari