User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Thread: Best Superhero

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    From a writer's perspective, Batman's limitations make him a more interesting character. Who wants to write Superman? Not me.
    Certainly. Has far more depth and is more relatable, and is more a representation of the ultimate human than aliens or mutants with magical powers.

My favorite superman comic was when he actually died.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post

However, in a vs. scenario, you essentially have to completely game the confrontation for Batman to win against a variety of opponents.
    Oh, you must have missed my post about how Batman has a half dozen plans to take down the entire JLA (which includes a number of the nominees mentioned here, like Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, and others included) just in case, one of which was stolen and used completely successfully, causing him to be kicked out for being too dangerous for them. And I mean that as a collective group. Or how I mentioned Superman giving him a kryptonite ring because he was the only other superhero he trusted to actually be able to take him down if he went nuts. Or that time he beat Superman in a fight in Dark Knight Returns, without any kryptonite, while being over sixty years old (in fact, the only reason he didn't finish the dude off then was because, actually, he had a self-inflicted heart attack to fake his own death, which was in his plan from the get-go, before finishing the job).

I guess if the others jumped him he'd probably fall, but if he had even a little time to plan, he'd win handily.

Also, who said this had anything to do with actually fighting anyways? I thought it was more matter-of-opinion.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Oh, you must have missed my post about how Batman has a half dozen plans to take down the entire JLA (which includes a number of the nominees mentioned here, like Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, and others included) just in case, one of which was stolen and used completely successfully, causing him to be kicked out for being too dangerous for them. And I mean that as a collective group. Or how I mentioned Superman giving him a kryptonite ring because he was the only other superhero he trusted to actually be able to take him down if he went nuts. Or that time he beat Superman in a fight in Dark Knight Returns, without any kryptonite, while being over sixty years old (in fact, the only reason he didn't finish the dude off then was because, actually, he had a self-inflicted heart attack to fake his own death, which was in his plan from the get-go, before finishing the job).

I guess if the others jumped him he'd probably fall, but if he had even a little time to plan, he'd win handily.
    I read it, I just assumed it highly unrealistic. Superman can just stay away from Batman and fly around the earth backwards to go back in time before Batman made the plan and kill him, or melt him from 1000 yards away with his heat vision. Dr. Manhattan can't be killed and just has to wave his hand and *poof*. Jean Grey can essentially do the same thing. Ad infinitum. Yes I'm mixing DC and Marvel.

And using actual literature proofs is odd, simply because it's not like they're determining the outcome of these fights in a simulation: they create an outline and fill in the details. I'm simply going by abilities. If you're going to say that Batman can win because he did so in his own comic, well then, no shit.

Also, who said this had anything to do with actually fighting anyways? I thought it was more matter-of-opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Best as in...who gets to win when they start killing each other?

Pfft...Wonder Woman...observes and walks out alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by human101 View Post
    yes

Super Heroes are Fantastic

We fantasize about super heroes as a reflection of our own impotence.

Super Heroes are truly fantastic. And we are all fans, fantasizing about super heroes.

But we would do far better to understand our own impotence, where it comes from and what we can do about it.

"Character Analysis", by Wilhelm Reich, and, "The History of Childhood", by Lloyd deMause are good places to start.

Unfortunately analysing our impotence is emotionally painful so we seek comfort in fantasizing about super heroes.

Also we need help with our emotional pain and Alice Miller in her books, such as, "For Your Own Good", gives us some idea of how we might seek help.

So we can start to understand the nightmare of our childhood. And we can start to understand our own fantasies born of impotence, and start to share the sunny uplands of reality.

MBTI
    ISFJ

MBTI
    ENFJ

-Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by StrappingYoungLad View Post
    The Tick.

He's like Superman with ENFP personality.
    I would like to see The Tick, the Civic Minded 5, Earthworm Jim, and Inspector Gadget band together to form a Justic League of Justice.

If I am picking a "real" superhero, then hands-down Spider-man. Both for his true identity (Peter Parker) and his superhero ego. Spider-man isn't quite as "gadgety" as Batman, but he is more "sciency." While Peter Parker may take longer to rig up a grappling hook weapon, Batman would take longer to dismantle a proton emitter before it destroyed the whole city. (Superman, on the other hand, would just pick the whole thing up and carry it into space, which as has been mentioned before, is BORING!)
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    ...backwards to go back in time before Batman made the plan and kill him...

...If you're going to say that Batman can win because he did so in his own comic, well then, no shit.
    Probably you are correct that Superman could defeat Batman in a number of scenarios, but I'm going to argue anyways because Superman, as a rule, has always annoyed me.

Overall, that's technically fair. However, considering Superman's moral hang-ups, I seriously doubt he'd just kill him from far away, and, again, I would guess Batman could come up with a way to avoid that/trick him into going just where he wants him with relative ease if he tried.

As for the "reverse time" thing. Really? The go around the world to reverse time thing, because apparently that's at all close to how time works? I'll grant you this: assuming Superman actually could go around the world fast enough to reverse its orbit (not something he can do in the comics, nor can the slightly quicker flash), he could probably destroy its atmosphere and kill everyone on earth.

Also, that JLA defeat thing thing was, I believe, in a JLA comic, not a Batman comic.

I genuinely think there's two ways this happens:
    1) Superman just randomly busts in and tries to take Batman down out of nowhere or only minutes after Batman was made aware he was after him. In that case, Superman wins pretty easily.

2) There is time to prepare, probably as little as a half hour. Batman really easily outsmarts and proves more resourceful than Superman, wins easy.

In a related topic, I'm beginning to think I should be ashamed of myself and the way I have chosen to live my life.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

The Joker