User Tag List

View Poll Results: Ni Dom Users: Which best describes your beliefs about God?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • INTJ: I believe there is a God

8 14.29%
  • INTJ: I am agnostic, but believe there's a >50% chance that some kind of Divinity exists

1 1.79%
  • INTJ: I am agnostic, but believe there's a 50-50 chance that some kind of Divinity exists

3 5.36%
  • INTJ: I am agnostic, but believe there's a <50% chance that some kind of Divinity exists

5 8.93%
  • INTJ: I believe there is no God

15 26.79%
  • INFJ: I believe there is a God

9 16.07%
  • INFJ: I am agnostic, but believe there's a >50% chance that some kind of Divinity exists

2 3.57%
  • INFJ: I am agnostic, but believe there's a 50-50 chance that some kind of Divinity exists

4 7.14%
  • INFJ: I am agnostic, but believe there's a <50% chance that some kind of Divinity exists

5 8.93%
  • INFJ: I believe there is no God

4 7.14%
First 34567 Last

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

If you pick "Other" in the poll, could you take a second and explain how your beliefs don't fit one of the five given answers for your type?

Thanks,
    Z

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    If you pick "Other" in the poll, could you take a second and explain how your beliefs don't fit one of the five given answers for your type?

Thanks,
    Z

I did
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Jesus/God = No

Universal connectivity, we are the cosmos figuring itself out = yes.
    Yes.

I picked other...for...many reasons.

1. Religion has some interesting qualities that can really make people feel a positive connection with their lives and can bring peace from nothing.

2. But Religion can do the exact opposite of 1. This opposite destroys the value it's supposed to have.

3. We have no control or understanding over many circumstances of our existence - our birth, what environment we happen upon, or even time itself. We use logic to create religions, philosophies, and explanations for as much as we can, but they have their own inherent flaws and contradictions; questions like "how do you create something out of nothing?" or "how do you define or understand something that has infinite details, when each detail learned changes and invalids all the results of what was known?". So how do we describe these things? Can we? Should we try or is the effort fruitless? Does trying and failing produce a positive outcome, an outcome that wouldn't have been reached had we deemed the effort fruitless and not tried to begin with?

4. Every time I try to make some kind of spiritual sense of the world, history and my life and past, I can only go on hunches as to what might be going on or is going to happen. But what it really comes down to is that life is very unpredictable. My hunches if deemed correct are also influenced by my suggestion of them. Would they be correct if I had not suggested them? To be alive means I'm affecting everything around me to some degree. And if I wasn't alive there would be totally different results. So which one is correct then? How do I analyze that? I just don't know.

I can't put myself in any other group on that list other than "other" and feel confident backing my choice or belief, as it may be. I figure it is best for me to accept this fragile position in life and not worry about it and enjoy those things that bring me and others a sense of fulfillment, whatever I think that might be and however that might affects others. If it is argued that my Ni is really just a conscious belief factory that others agree on out of its confident suggestion, confident presentation, and lengthy consideration of everything that is going on, then so be it.

I suppose this is why hearing different perspectives and ideas about things really moves me...and why I like to say "I suppose" and "I guess" a lot...and why I feel the need to downplay my thoughts at times if I don't want anyone to take what I'm saying too seriously, but still state what's on my mind...hmmm.

Edit: I always liked the following quote from a movie
    Gust Avrakotos: There's a little boy and on his 14th birthday he gets a horse... and everybody in the village says, "how wonderful. The boy got a horse" And the Zen master says, "we'll see." Two years later, the boy falls off the horse, breaks his leg, and everyone in the village says, "How terrible." And the Zen master says, "We'll see." Then, a war breaks out and all the young men have to go off and fight... except the boy can't cause his legs all messed up. and everybody in the village says, "How wonderful."
    Charlie Wilson: Now the Zen master says, "We'll see."
    Are you satisfied Zara?

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I picked 'Other' because although philosophically I guess I'm agnostic, I don't conceptualize a higher power in the sense of a Divinity or religious-based construct. If anything my idea of any sort of 'higher power' is equated more to the universe and particles themselves - the nature of how all of it exists. No all-powerful all-knowing something or other. Most people though would probably consider me atheist, in terms of everyday beliefs, even though it doesn't make sense to me to completely rule out something that I have no way of understanding completely due to the nature of it and the fact that the universe is enormous and I don't have enough data nor access to maybe all of the various levels of awareness (simple example - we see only a limited spectrum of light. Expand that out to other things and the nature of how we perceive/think has limitations).

And... I've never been one who can 'believe' or have faith without sound reasons or simply because I wished it to be true. I just don't operate that way, although sometimes I think it would be nice if I could. I've thought quite a lot about it and have reached this position. I do have warm feelings when I think of some of the elements of the lutheran church from growing up, but it never made sense to me. However, I still adore and listen to Bach's and Mozart's religious masses... beautiful music. That's off-topic though. haha.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by BRMC117 View Post
    I did
    Keep crying.

You weren't supposed to vote in the first place.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Jesus/God = No

Universal connectivity, we are the cosmos figuring itself out = yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater Typhoon View Post
    Yes.
    Now one of you voted "agnostic but >50%", while the other voted "agnostic but <50%"...

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

p.s. Billy, I'm not that well read on Hegel, but I think that's pretty close to his definition of God.

It's also similar to the idea of God fleshed out in a great little book by Scott Adams (of Dilbert fame) called God's Debris.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Are you satisfied Zara?
    No, now I just think you're a coward.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

^ Truth is: you're an agnostic who doesn't want to put a probability on it.

Here's what I suggest: take my position. 50-50.

Then you can sit back and enjoy being fully open to the mystery of all that is...