User Tag List

View Poll Results: Ni Dom Users: Which best describes your beliefs about God?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • INTJ: I believe there is a God

8 14.29%
  • INTJ: I am agnostic, but believe there's a >50% chance that some kind of Divinity exists

1 1.79%
  • INTJ: I am agnostic, but believe there's a 50-50 chance that some kind of Divinity exists

3 5.36%
  • INTJ: I am agnostic, but believe there's a <50% chance that some kind of Divinity exists

5 8.93%
  • INTJ: I believe there is no God

15 26.79%
  • INFJ: I believe there is a God

9 16.07%
  • INFJ: I am agnostic, but believe there's a >50% chance that some kind of Divinity exists

2 3.57%
  • INFJ: I am agnostic, but believe there's a 50-50 chance that some kind of Divinity exists

4 7.14%
  • INFJ: I am agnostic, but believe there's a <50% chance that some kind of Divinity exists

5 8.93%
  • INFJ: I believe there is no God

4 7.14%
First 1234513 Last

Phantonym

I opted for the agnostic, <50% poll option. I think that my belief in the existence of some form of Divinity is 1%, ok make it 2%, I'm feeling generous today.

I would like for there to be some form of Divinity. He/she/it would be nice to talk to after all. But in no way am I doing things with the thought at the back of my mind that I must do things this way or that way because there might be someone "beyond" watching and judging me.

I would like for there to be some kind of positive afterlife in whatever form, preferably where everything about everything becomes perfectly clear. It would be nice to tie up loose ends and come to a complete understanding. But I will remain skeptical until the moment I draw my last breath. Simply vanishing would be kind of disappointing.

MBTI
    INTJ

I chose don't believe in God. I'm more like a naturalistic pantheist that can appreciate the power of ritual.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

According to one source, INTJs are amongst the most likely to be atheists (and also junkies, but not necessarily at the same time).

INTJ - Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Judging

Personally, I have no belief in god. I see no reason why the universe can't exist without any sort of divinity.

Was brought up as an atheist and became a Christian now almost 10 years ago. Yes I believe there is a God.

MBTI
    INFJ

Jesus/God = No

Universal connectivity, we are the cosmos figuring itself out = yes.
    Ground control to Major Tom

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I consider myself a weak atheist rather than an agnostic. IMO, the agnostic position does theism too much honor. If you widen the definition to include all phenomena we have no reason to believe exist, feel free to think of me as an agnostic, but somehow no one ever creates polls like this asking people to assign percentages of belief in the existence of the Easter Bunny.
    People generally don't assign the role of Prime Mover and/or Source of Reality to the Easter Bunny... just the role of Prime Candy Deliverer.

IOW, who cares if the Easter Bunny exists?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    I opted for the agnostic, <50% poll option. I think that my belief in the existence of some form of Divinity is 1%, ok make it 2%, I'm feeling generous today.

I would like for there to be some form of Divinity. He/she/it would be nice to talk to after all. But in no way am I doing things with the thought at the back of my mind that I must do things this way or that way because there might be someone "beyond" watching and judging me.

I would like for there to be some kind of positive afterlife in whatever form, preferably where everything about everything becomes perfectly clear. It would be nice to tie up loose ends and come to a complete understanding. But I will remain skeptical until the moment I draw my last breath. Simply vanishing would be kind of disappointing.
    Maybe there doesn't have to be an afterlife for there to be a god, maybe we are all just neurons in this dimension picking up a signal from somewhere else kind of like how a computer uses electricity to carry data to physical components. Maybe when we die that physical component goes away and the data goes back to the source. If the entire universe is 1 organism including all dimensions , because existence spans all dimensions, maybe it develops us like our brains develops neurons and impulses to think.

We are the cosmos figuring itself out. you dont need jesus or god in there for that, but its also kind of reassuring.
    Ground control to Major Tom

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm agnostic, but that doesn't mean I think there is a 50/50 chance for or against the existence of God. While there are two options, there isn't a reason to think that makes both scenarios equally possible. Being truly agnostic includes not assuming a specific likelihood for a particular scenario.

I see both questions as being so reliant on a myriad of underlying assumptions to make both statements nearly meaningless. The proposition that there is a Deity is laden with an entire construct of the nature and specifics of that Being. The same is true of the negative. The flying spaghetti monster or the pink, invisible unicorn as concepts that don't require negation are both highly constructed and specific. For the sake of argument I will approach the pink unicorn as I approach any topic as an agnostic.

Are there pink, invisible unicorns? I don't see it as binary, yes or no, but an opportunity to explore the nature of that concept and the possible ways it could manifest itself. I approach it with an attempt at few or no assumptions. I can only answer as the atheist if I accept the assumption that these are concrete beings interacting in the real world, but why is that a necessary assumption? If a child has a dream of such a creature, if an author writes it as a character, if someone hallucinating mis-perceives a deer in the forest as a pink unicorn unseen to all but himself, then the question isn't "is there a pink, invisible unicorn", but instead "what is the nature of the phenomenon that someone has conceived of or interpreted as a pink, invisible unicorn?"

I approach questions in a holistic, integrative manner in which data is received without previous judgment. Any piece of information is taken, then viewed from every possible angle to see how it might align within the context of the bigger picture. The question is not "is it?", but instead "what is it?" It might be compared somewhat to a mental hoarder. I don't entirely toss anything out because it might be useful at a later point in time to complete the missing segment of a pattern I have long been working on to form meaningful connections.

I find my thinking comes into conflict most with those who use a dismissive process. They possess an internal construct of what they assume is reality. Incoming data that does not fit with this internal model is thrown away. They widdle reality down to a single sine wave of perceived truth. I find this approach dangerous because it is entirely reliant of the truth of that original construct. Having lived long enough to have to rebuilt my internal model of reality from scratch, I know that the likelihood of an individual initially constructing a correct internal model is not particularly high when you take into account circumstance and the limits of human perception. This process of dismissal to construct a model of reality is essentially a closed system with all the assumptions in place and any further interaction with reality is used to flesh out and reinforce that system.

In my thinking closed systems are dead systems. They are limited and even if possessing a degree of merit and reason, are in the end false systems. This is because a single human mind can likely only perceive and interact with a fragment of reality. Our best hope is to construct an internal system that is open and capable of growth.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Maybe there doesn't have to be an afterlife for there to be a god, maybe we are all just neurons in this dimension picking up a signal from somewhere else kind of like how a computer uses electricity to carry data to physical components. Maybe when we die that physical component goes away and the data goes back to the source. If the entire universe is 1 organism including all dimensions , because existence spans all dimensions, maybe it develops us like our brains develops neurons and impulses to think.

We are the cosmos figuring itself out. you dont need jesus or god in there for that, but its also kind of reassuring.
    Oh, yes, I agree. There doesn't have to be this one "divine being", it's not even important. I've never been religious but I guess I've always had this idea of "it" out there, something "concrete" and singular, undoubtedly instilled by the meda and the things I've read and so on. Pondering about it in detail has never been my thing, or trying to search some definite answers and doing that for ever because there are no answers to have. From time to time I merely like to toy with the possibilities. I like the idea of some collective energy "out there" and I've always found it fascinating and that's why death has never been something to be afraid of. I'd rather not die for a very long time, but when I finally do, I would like there to be something fun after that.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Tater Typhoon View Post
    Are you thinking that Ni is more in tune with the subconscious, thus more aware of the spiritual facets of life? I think this is leaning toward Folk Typology.
    I don't have an angle really; just curious to see the results.