User Tag List

View Poll Results: Ni Dom Users: Which best describes your beliefs about God?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • INTJ: I believe there is a God

8 14.29%
  • INTJ: I am agnostic, but believe there's a >50% chance that some kind of Divinity exists

1 1.79%
  • INTJ: I am agnostic, but believe there's a 50-50 chance that some kind of Divinity exists

3 5.36%
  • INTJ: I am agnostic, but believe there's a <50% chance that some kind of Divinity exists

5 8.93%
  • INTJ: I believe there is no God

15 26.79%
  • INFJ: I believe there is a God

9 16.07%
  • INFJ: I am agnostic, but believe there's a >50% chance that some kind of Divinity exists

2 3.57%
  • INFJ: I am agnostic, but believe there's a 50-50 chance that some kind of Divinity exists

4 7.14%
  • INFJ: I am agnostic, but believe there's a <50% chance that some kind of Divinity exists

5 8.93%
  • INFJ: I believe there is no God

4 7.14%
First 4121314

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

This is what we get, I think, from becoming too self-aware of our situation as people. It's scary, so we insulate ourselves from self-awareness by positing middlemen, known as deities, as separate from ourselves. These middlemen strangly have similar interests and dislikes to ourselves...yet contain a certain aloofness from reality. I wonder if this ability to abstract things from reality is what makes Ni-dom people attracted towards deity-belief.
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisica View Post
    This is what we get, I think, from becoming too self-aware of our situation as people. It's scary, so we insulate ourselves from self-awareness by positing middlemen, known as deities, as separate from ourselves. These middlemen strangly have similar interests and dislikes to ourselves...yet contain a certain aloofness from reality
    Mayhaps.

I wonder if this ability to abstract things from reality is what makes Ni-dom people attracted towards deity-belief.
    I was raised in a very religious environment and was once in fact very religious myself (as much as a child/adolescent can be). I suppose Ni+Fe drew me in, but Ni+Ti drew me away. I learned to ask myself, rather than others, the right questions.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I was raised in a very religious environment and was once in fact very religious myself (as much as a child/adolescent can be). I suppose Ni+Fe drew me in, but Ni+Ti drew me away. I learned to ask myself, rather than others, the right questions.
    Thus demonstrating that Ni by itself is no good indicator of belief nor disbelief. There! For me, I was drawn in by the rhetoric that my aunt used on me regarding her beliefs [I think she wasn't self-reflective of that fact] in my youth, but thanks to my autodidact habit and explicit asking of questions to her, was able to, in the end, resist such tactics. Ni with Te, I reckon.
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

I used to be more religious as a kid, although I rarely set foot in church. I believed in God and Jesus and all that, but I didn't feel quite involved with it. I like to believe that there is a deity out there, but honestly, I'm not sure if it even exists. It's impossible to prove or disprove the existence of God, and the fact there is a lack of certainty that there is a God bothers me. I could let fear of others' or my own mortality thrust me into the throes of God's arms, but how can I tell that He is there for us? I think that the concept of "God" is used to define our existence in this world, what humanity's purpose is. I think it's a bit egocentric of human beings to even consider that God created us in His image when, if you think of it, with the mistakes that humans have made in the past and present, crimes against humanity, nature, etc, for someone who is loving of all creatures, we sure as hell failed to live up to His image.

Do I believe in God right now? I'm very agnostic. It may bring me comfort to think that the dead go to Heaven and that there's someone out there watching over us, but there isn't enough evidence for me to make a conclusion. From what evidence I do have, the concept of God doesn't work in concordance with the laws of science and empiricism, let alone the events that have happened and will happen in nature and the universe.

These are just my thoughts on this topic, so if I have offended anyone who believes in God, I apologize in advance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I entered this thread, and only upon reading the poll options did I realize I'm not a Ni dom. lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    I entered this thread, and only upon reading the poll options did I realize I'm not a Ni dom. lol.
    Close but not quite. Just switch your dominant function with your auxiliary and you're set.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

God is a Force which has achieved infinite mastery of creation though there may be some beings who are creators who we may call Gods but nonetheless have not achieved "infinite" mastery of creation. A galactic super civilization for example may be able to create other Universes though they cannot control the entire existence at will.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    God is a Force which has achieved infinite mastery of creation though there may be some beings who are creators who we may call Gods but nonetheless have not achieved "infinite" mastery of creation. A galactic super civilization for example may be able to create other Universes though they cannot control the entire existence at will.
    You know, that was actually a pretty intelligent musing on the idea of God/gods.

I sometimes play around with notions of an imperfect/non-omnipotent God/gods.

It helps explain evil and/or tragedy beyond just "God works in mysterious ways".

If only Jung was some kind of authority figure in whose words I could believe unconditionally...