User Tag List

123 Last

Question Type and the Use of Emoticons

I, being an INTP, frequently feel compelled to restrict the number of emoticons in my posts. Don't tell me this isn't type-related. I know you have thought of this before. In fact, I also happen to know your social security number, and the satellite coordinates of where you live, but this is an entirely different story. Anyways, back on subject, there must be a correlation. No question about it. The question is, what do you think the correlation is? I would have thought that an over-dose of emoticons would directly relate to Fe, but in fact, I have actually observed this quality to be more prevalent amongst xxFP types (Fi).

So...your thoughts?
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I didn't inspire this did I?

I use a lot of emoticons to convey things like sarcasm because I know that what I type could be considered rather awful sometimes without a nice smiley to make sure that everyone knows that I'm just joking! I'm not an NF though, so who knows where that part fits in!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I didn't inspire this did I?
    No.

I use a lot of emoticons to convey things like sarcasm because I know that what I type could be considered rather awful sometimes without a nice smiley to make sure that everyone knows that I'm just joking! I'm not an NF though, so who knows where that part fits in!
    Oh no! A discrepancy in my predictions! Ah, no matter. This can easily be fixed. *runs off to track down Whatever, kidnap her, and eradicate every smallest sub-atomic particle in her body*
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    INFJ

Whenever I think that someone might possibly take something even a LITTLE harshly, I put a smiley by what I wrote.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    Oh no! A discrepancy in my predictions! Ah, no matter. This can easily be fixed. *runs off to track down Whatever, kidnap her, and eradicate every smallest sub-atomic particle in her body*
    I'd like to see you try!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    isxp

I, being an INTP, frequently feel compelled to restrict the number of emoticons in my posts.
    :confused:

Don't tell me this isn't type-related. I know you have thought of this before. In fact, I also happen to know your social security number, and the satellite coordinates of where you live, but this is an entirely different story.
    :eek:

Anyways, back on subject, there must be a correlation. No question about it. The question is, what do you think the correlation is? I would have thought that an over-dose of emoticons would directly relate to Fe, but in fact, I have actually observed this quality to be more prevalent amongst xxFP types (Fi).

So...your thoughts?
    I'm some combination of xxFP. I think they're cute? They make me laugh after staring at them for a while. I try to find situations where I could use each one--> My emoticon typing thread

I love ambiguous smileys, especially with people who you know over-analyze everything! Like:

We should have lunch sometime
    I'll see you soon

I have no idea whether it's related to type though, I'm guessing not really. How you write and communicate in general is influenced heavily by the people around you, and also often very dependent on who you're talking to.

Quote Originally Posted by Forfe View Post
    I love ambiguous smileys, especially with people who you know over-analyze everything! Like:

We should have lunch sometime
    I'll see you soon

I have no idea whether it's related to type though, I'm guessing not really. How you write and communicate in general is influenced heavily by the people around you, and also often very dependent on who you're talking to.
    Verbal ambiguity I do love. I am an xNxP, after all. But smileys I do despise (I do have an Fe inferior, after all).

Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    Infx

I'm similar to pocket lint. I think they're adorable, and if it matches what I'm feeling I throw it in there. I think they can be used to make people laugh, and are certainly more interesting to look at than word after word of type. A picture is worth 1000 words, yes? Show rather than tell? I can spit a bunch more cliches if you wish.

Plus.. things like and just spread love and warm fuzzies.

..addicting little buggers.
    Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence. - Elihu Burritt

Member of the Maverick's Biker Club - Now crashing through walls instead of just..walking into them.

Verbal ambiguity I do love. I am an xNxP, after all. But smileys I do despise (I do have an Fe inferior, after all).
    Anything verbal is far better than just text I think, but I'll gladly use emotes to make it less dull/plain.