First 12345 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    The question is, what do you think the correlation is? I would have thought that an over-dose of emoticons would directly relate to Fe, but in fact, I have actually observed this quality to be more prevalent amongst xxFP types (Fi). So...your thoughts?
    Is there a motivation difference?

I use more here than I use on INTPc. They're "short-hand" for me to add a sense of nuance to the words, so people can understand what I'm saying -- like adding "body language" to a virtual text. If I use too many, it starts feeling like being "overly gushy" and I actually become uncomfortable doing it... like adding a whole string of XOXOXOXO's to a letter. Just... too much.

I don't need to do it on INTPc because people there are more concerned about the content and don't care about the person's intentions as much, they ignore body language in real life and don't emote much themselves. Here, though, the people are much more keyed into that sort of thing.

FPs seem to use them an awful lot to just... emote. (?)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    Verbal ambiguity I do love. But smileys I do despise (I do have an Fe inferior, after all).
    Ditto.

Unless they're obviously sarcastic (:rolli: ) I rarely use them. They're the lazy way out; when you can't get your meaning across with words. Plus they seem... fake / superficial.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INFP

I like to use emoticons if I feel they'll help get my point across about something. Sometimes it's hard to convey the true meaning and feeling of something online without the help them. Or I'll use one or two to punctuate a silly conversation with somebody.

However, I do think that using too many brings down the value of a post and makes it seem less serious then it may be. I do like them but am conscious that others I'm talking to may not like them so try and not to use too many.

MBTI
    ENTP

If I write something that could be taken the wrong way and I don't have the time/interest to say it differently I will use them but most of the time I prefer not to. But I have to say I really like this one

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I have one thing to add to this concept

Use of emoticons, smilies and such is a guidance as to temperament not MBTI. Of course there is a tendancy link but it's vague. Perhaps the more comfortable people are with extroversion, the more comfortable they are at displaying things such as mood or expressions? It's certainly not a T/F thing (whatever proves that nicely ).

As for the usage of such things, I use them as much as I'd use the entirety of my face for expression. Why restrict myself to mere words when I can utilise images to reflect even greater depth. Also such things help form a connection with people. Have a look at who uses smilies lots and check their rep, people feel more connected to someone who is expressive than someone who is effectively locked in a box.

My question to you Merkw is how do you decide when enough is enough?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    As for the usage of such things, I use them as much as I'd use the entirety of my face for expression. Why restrict myself to mere words when I can utilise images to reflect even greater depth. Also such things help form a connection with people.

very true now that I think about it! I do use my face and hands quite a bit while speaking! but in real life I give out much much fewer hugs
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    very true now that I think about it! I do use my face and hands quite a bit while speaking! but in real life I give out much much fewer hugs
    Oh tell me about it. I've almost lost an eye before to an ESTPs "gesticulation"
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

I love using emoticons yet I seem to use them more in silly posts or in PM's than I do in regular posts. A lot of times I won't use one in my post. It all depends on the feel of the thread and the topic oh and my mood.
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    FPs seem to use them an awful lot to just... emote. (?)
    Gah! Liez! I totally don't! :steam: :1377: :yim_phbbbbt:

Usually.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by samIam View Post
    If I write something that could be taken the wrong way and I don't have the time/interest to say it differently I will use them but most of the time I prefer not to.
    Something I do as well....I just don't feel like having to explain it was just something I thought and not to be taken as an insult.

Quote Originally Posted by MerkW View Post
    I, being an INTP, frequently feel compelled to restrict the number of emoticons in my posts. Don't tell me this isn't type-related. I know you have thought of this before. There must be a correlation. No question about it. The question is, what do you think the correlation is? I would have thought that an over-dose of emoticons would directly relate to Fe, but in fact, I have actually observed this quality to be more prevalent amongst xxFP types (Fi).

So...your thoughts?
    I noticed how many emoticons the ExxP people use and started to wonder if it were unusual for an INTP to use them. I guess not. Sometimes it annoys me when I use too many emoticons and for me, two is too many.
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”