User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    I, being an INTP, frequently feel compelled to restrict the number of emoticons in my posts. Don't tell me this isn't type-related. I know you have thought of this before. In fact, I also happen to know your social security number, and the satellite coordinates of where you live, but this is an entirely different story. Anyways, back on subject, there must be a correlation. No question about it. The question is, what do you think the correlation is? I would have thought that an over-dose of emoticons would directly relate to Fe, but in fact, I have actually observed this quality to be more prevalent amongst xxFP types (Fi).

So...your thoughts?
    I am an INTJ & INFJ mix.

I have never considered restricting the amount of emoticons in my posts. As a matter of fact, I have used too many emoticons before, and the software - on a different forum - told me to delete some! I'm very visual and I prefer pictures to words. I like the little emoticons because they help describe my feelings. Many a sentence could be taken the wrong way unless accompanied by a wink or other emoticon that helps convey to the reader the manner in which we are saying what we are saying. Am I joking, am I angry, am I sarcastic? The emoticons help convey the message correctly.

I agree with your assessment that FPs use a lot of graphics in their posts. Usually the graphics are of soft and cuddly critters.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I use them in moderation, when I think they make the point more clearly than words would. I don't try to avoid using them, although it makes me cringe a little when I see smiley overloads.

I see smiley-use correlated in general here with E, F and P.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I use them in moderation, when I think they make the point more clearly than words would. I don't try to avoid using them, although it makes me cringe a little when I see smiley overloads.

I see smiley-use correlated in general here with E, F and P.
    now you don't need to kill me Merkw! I DO have an E and P so I'm not destroying your theory on this!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Forfe View Post
    Anything verbal is far better than just text I think, but I'll gladly use emotes to make it less dull/plain.
    I very much agree with you that words express far less than I would wish to. I often have trouble putting my thoughts into exact words (an N trait I suspect). I am a very visual-spatial thinker. Images and abstract constructs express more than words. However, I have problems with reading emotions. Thus, I do not like the emoticons.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    now you don't need to kill me Merkw! I DO have an E and P so I'm not destroying your theory on this!
    But you lack the F. Wait a minute...I thought I was the one killing whatever. Oh well. That's how life goes.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

I don't know, but smileys have simply become a part of my vocabulary since I started posting on forums like this. Possibly even prior to that. I use them so very, very naturally, and I find I hardly even notice when I add something like , :P or ^^ to the end of a sentence.

Of course, I'm rarely annoyed/upset/angry when posting on these sort of boards, so the 'negative' smileys don't come naturally. So they then vanish from my writing, leaving it more 'emotionless' than angry, when it's read back. (Course, this also happens when I'm trying to discuss something logically! )

But if I had to think about it, I would say that when communicating with someone IRL, you don't just listen to their words. You see whether they're smiling or frowning, you hear whether they're joking or being serious, you use far more cues that just the words that are coming out of their mouth. And when you talk yourself, you let off those same hints as to what your meaning is. So that's what smileys are, for me - substitution for those visual clues you lose in anonymous communication like this.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Tacky clutter. I used them in years before but don't today. If something needs qualification or softening, I turn to interjections.

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I am an INTJ & INFJ mix.

I have never considered restricting the amount of emoticons in my posts. As a matter of fact, I have used too many emoticons before, and the software - on a different forum - told me to delete some! I'm very visual and I prefer pictures to words. I like the little emoticons because they help describe my feelings. Many a sentence could be taken the wrong way unless accompanied by a wink or other emoticon that helps convey to the reader the manner in which we are saying what we are saying. Am I joking, am I angry, am I sarcastic? The emoticons help convey the message correctly.

I agree with your assessment that FPs use a lot of graphics in their posts. Usually the graphics are of soft and cuddly critters.
    Precisely.

Another INTJ & INFJ mutt, here.

I also use far too many emoticons on a different forum and probably more so than the FPs themselves.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by OctaviaCaesar View Post
    Whenever I think that someone might possibly take something even a LITTLE harshly, I put a smiley by what I wrote.
    Interesting. I very seldom feel obligated to do that and when I do I HATE it. It means I care about that person's feelings, for whatever reason, yet I can't be my dry-as-dust self with them. It's a horrible place to be.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    Interesting. I very seldom feel obligated to do that and when I do I HATE it. It means I care about that person's feelings, for whatever reason, yet I can't be my dry-as-dust self with them. It's a horrible place to be.
    Don't you ever enjoy dropping a smiley because it mirrors your state of mind?