User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Being an uncle is mostly a meaningless title that exists for easy explanation of family placement. It's rather meaningless in my experience as long as they have a good father, so I don't think it's out of line at all to have no emotional response.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    SEXY

You're only going to become an uncle, not a dad or granddad or something. Just send them a congratulatory card, it's appropriate.
    (removed)

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    well, maybe once you see the kid, everything will hit you.

that, or you have aspergers.
    It's the first time someone tells me I have Aspie.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyBunny View Post
    Are you a closet INTx? When you found out that you were going to be an uncle, did you offer your brother and his wife advice as apposed to showing much emotion?

(Example: Cool, you're going to have a baby. You should baby-proof your house before he's born. If you can, try to put all the poisons and cleaning fluids under lock and key.)

Because that's a very NT type of way to express your emotions.
    *takes notes*

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Being an uncle is mostly a meaningless title that exists for easy explanation of family placement. It's rather meaningless in my experience as long as they have a good father, so I don't think it's out of line at all to have no emotional response.
    As I am quite fond of my nieces and nephews and am particularly close to one of my nephews, I disagree with this.

Unless you take some sort of sexist stance that aunt is more meaningful than uncle, and I doubt that's what you're saying.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I rarely have emotional responses when they are expected. When emotion swells up, it's always the "wrong" situation, the "wrong" emotion, or the attempt to express it comes out "wrong". My positive emotion is actually the most inconsistent with other's expectations. When I am "supposed" to feel one way, I often don't; and when not much reaction is expected, I may be too intense. This is why people IRL sometimes regard me as cold, even though they also see me as emotional. It has given me a sense of alienation in life as I often do not feel what those around me do.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I rarely have emotional responses when they are expected. When emotion swells up, it's always the "wrong" situation, the "wrong" emotion, or the attempt to express it comes out "wrong". My positive emotion is actually the most inconsistent with other's expectations. When I am "supposed" to feel one way, I often don't; and when not much reaction is expected, I may be too intense. This is why people IRL sometimes regard me as cold, even though they also see me as emotional. It has given me a sense of alienation in life as I often do not feel what those around me do.
    Thats what I feel, you just put in words much better then I did I think later on it will hit me thanks for all the input guys!
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Personally, i hate children so i wasn't as enthusiastic as most people would be when i found out i was going to be an Aunt twice (although i do love my nephew and niece).

Very few things get an emotional response out of me.
    Someone i don't know got raped? "That sucks."
    Someone i don't know got killed? "Damn."
    An important bill was passed that doesn't pertain to me or people i know? "Okay, cool."
    Ethiopians are starving? "I don't care."
    A famous person died? "Eh. People die."

The list is so painfully on-going, yet i can be a lot of the opposite if something directly affects someone i know.
    I just can't see the point in investing so much as life and people aren't rainbows and bunnies. I neglect myself enough as it is without throwing the weight of the world on my shoulders. Smaller worlds that are easier to affect are more of my style.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I can identify this. Part of it is being put on the spot I don't like people looking at me or gauging my reactions, so I feel a sort of rebellion when I'm supposed to react a certain way. Also, I really need a lot of time to process situations. It would be best if people would stick to email when expecting a specific reaction out of me.

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

i love my brother a lot and i like his fiance. i'm not close to having children myself, but i love children... i think the emotion of it would come when i thought that the child is a part of my brother. that thought is very emotional for me, as well as the next generation thing... the circle of life. i'm a family person, though, anyway.
    Enneagram 5w4.