User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Thumbs up Go west, young man.

Hi there. Been a while

So I've been accepted to Arizona State University to study architecture. I'll be living, working and studying in Tempe, AZ come August.

I'm just curious: what's it like to live out west? I understand that it's a vastly different pace out there. Those I know who live there say that to me, coming from the hustling, bustling Northeast Corridor it will be "painfully slow."

I'm okay with that though. In all honesty I feel I've done my time in the northeast. Things move too quickly around here. It's very easy to hurry and get nowhere very fast. And people around here are just rude, quite frankly. Everyone drives like an asshole. It's taking a toll on my good NF feeeeeeelings, man.

In any case, I'm not too sure what to expect when I make it out west. The only source I have on the American southwest is Breaking Bad on AMC. It's a great show, but doesn't show the region in a terribly flattering light.

Okay, so I know lesson one: don't get involved in selling or taking methamphetamine.

Other than that? I'll still be in an urban center but I've only been to two western urban centers in my life. I've been to San Francisco, which felt very much like Philadelphia. The other was Rapid City, South Dakota, which had the feel of the suburb I currently live in. How's mass transit out west? Should I bring my car? What are gas prices like? What are prices like in general, specifically food? What is there to do out west? Which reminds me, is there a gay population to speak of in Arizona?

The only thing that's on my To Do list at this point is visit Maynard's winery in central AZ.

I'm going out to visit the school this coming Monday, so I'm anxious to see how everything will pan out.

I'M SO EXCITED.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post

The only thing that's on my To Do list at this point is visit Maynard's winery in central AZ.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

hot, dry, scenic, maybe spiritual

my top piece of advice, soak in the greenery now while you can, we don't have much of that out here. there are pine trees, but in terms of like green yards, lots of bushes, lots of plants, lots of flowers and stuff yeah not so much

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

oh yes, and hot. southern AZ does not get much snow as I understand. my friend form there told me they've been in a drought for like 4 decades or something

There are plenty of wildflowers and greenery in the Sonoran Desert. :rolli: Look at the Mojave Desert if you want to see desolace.
    Mass transit is not very popular, yes bring your car. Gas prices are normal, if not lower than many other regions. Food prices are normal, I think. Get ready to experience a lot of Mexican food options. There is certainly a gay scene. Phoenix and environs are on track to be little-imitation-LA. They like to model themselves in that fashion to accommodate all the CA transplants. Outdoor activities like hiking and golf are really popular there. There are national sports teams to see. Lots of concerts, too. What you need to prepare for is the summer heat, which is intense but manageable. The summer nights will take on special significance.
    One thing you also really need to prepare yourself for is completing architecture. It can be very demanding and rigorous. You might want to put a visit to Taliesin West on your to do list since you want to do architecture. HTH.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

[YOUTUBE="_k18F2d1iBI"]Road to the west[/YOUTUBE]

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Good luck during your Architecture studies!

I teach in an Architecture school myself, but in France. I hope your school will have a green architecture department, since climate in southern Arizona is one of the biggest issue.

One of the most famous contemporary architects who have worked in a similar hot desert-like environment is Glenn Murcutt, an Australian. Maybe you have heard of him?

(And visiting Taliesin West is indeed mandatory if you live around Phoenix)
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I have nothing constructive to add, but it's good to see you and know you're doing well.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I have nothing constuctive to add but this:

Ooooh, architects
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

[YOUTUBE="K22ZD1HUV4g"]Go West! Live[/YOUTUBE]