User Tag List

MBTI
    INFx

Default Kids under 5 are free

I understand why you shouldn't have to pay for kids under the age of 5 for most things (like eating out= they don't eat much, mini golfing- they just kinda run around). I get that.

My question is why do kids aged 5-12 get a discounted rate and over the age of 12 they are full price?

This wondering of mine came about last night. I took the kids mini golfing. It was $7 for me and $5 for kids.

Same thing with movies, lazer tag, amusement parks, ect.

Now when we go to a restaurant, they order a smaller portion off of the kids menu so their meal should cost less, but at the movies they are cheaper.

Why? They fill a seat just like the adults. Because I am older my ticket is $4 more?

Why did playing the same game of mini golf cost me $2 more than it did for them?

I have really been wondering about this. All insight (and spam) welcome.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Incentive to get families to go. They make up the cost in concessions, usually. I wouldn't be surprised if it was shown that a child makes the park more money than an adult due to the fact that most kids are insufferable beasts and the parent will buy a 5 dollar bag of popcorn to shut them the hell up.

Phantonym

Because kids under 5 aren't really people. And 5-12 they're just barely scraping the border of humanity, as it seems. There's bias towards people who actually make decisions that are considered as something that counts. And they make sure you pay for it.

Oh yeah, and what Jock said.

Because over the age of 12 you can leave them at home.

Let me elaborate: Put yourself in the shoes of the parents of a 6 year old and an 8 year old. You can't leave them at home alone, so you have to take them out with you. This is the demographic that children concessions are fighting for- the amusement parks and other places you're going to want you to think that they are ultimately more cost-effective for you as a family. It's as simple as that.

They also know that it's unlikely that they'll get a large crowd of 7 year olds coming in on their own, so they can afford to discount the kids- knowing that they'll always be accompanied by adults.
    Call me Visa, please!
    visakanv.com
    visaisahero.tumblr.com

MBTI
    INFx

Quote Originally Posted by visaisahero View Post
    Because over the age of 12 you can leave them at home.

Let me elaborate: Put yourself in the shoes of the parents of a 6 year old and an 8 year old. You can't leave them at home alone, so you have to take them out with you. This is the demographic that children concessions are fighting for- the amusement parks and other places you're going to want you to think that they are ultimately more cost-effective for you as a family. It's as simple as that.

They also know that it's unlikely that they'll get a large crowd of 7 year olds coming in on their own, so they can afford to discount the kids- knowing that they'll always be accompanied by adults.
    That does make sense, but upon seeing the price, I drove the kids home. I wanted to mini golf. They didn't have to.

So I went home, locked my 5, 9, and 10 year old in the basement, and returned to the mini golf establishment.

It only cost $7 that way and I got to golf alone. I saved $15! I call that a win.

The kids were already asleep by the time I got back, so I just threw an old sheet over them and let them sleep in the basement.

It really was a nice evening out.