User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 135

  1. #71
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I was referring to this:
    I do think that it would broaden some people's minds in terms of language.

    However, since you have such a strong emotional response to the word "bitch" no matter how it is intended, that is your personal preference. Don't force it on others, and I won't force mine. I certainly don't use the word "bitch" casually with people I encounter, only those who I know will take it in the intended context.

  2. #72
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Ok...but I would like to point out that I didn't pull out the "uptight" word myself until someone else pulled it on me in a linguistic context!!

    I was actually hoping there would be more in this thread about the sinister pornification of society, but maybe that really is completely separate. We might need a thread about that.
    For example, you think the words "sinister pornification" are terribly serious, and I find those words hysterically funny...and strangely melodic.

    Edit: I think I'll employ them as my new subtitle.

  3. #73
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I was actually hoping there would be more in this thread about the sinister pornification of society
    srsly?

    ...but maybe that really is completely separate.
    Uh... yes.
    I really think it is separate.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #74
    Symbolic Herald Vasilisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Exactly. It's just cool to be bad.
    Bingo.

    I've heard some theory that English language degrades because people want to be seen as friendly to counter-culture, not part of a stodgy authoritarianism.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project


    Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

  5. #75
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Bingo.

    I've heard some theory that English language degrades because people want to be seen as friendly to counter-culture, not part of a stodgy authoritarianism.
    English doesn't necessarily "degrade" it just changes. The entire point of language is communication, not propriety.

    I'd love to see all of these people who worship "correct" English start speaking and writing like 19th century British aristocracy on a regular basis. Or better yet, like Shakespeare...who, as a matter of fact, was the person largely responsible for even giving the English language a "standard" form.
    Of course, you guys could go all the way back and talk like Beowulf. We wouldn't want to offend you with the degredation that has come since the Norman conquest.

  6. #76
    Symbolic Herald Vasilisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    English doesn't necessarily "degrade" it just changes. The entire point of language is communication, not propriety.

    I'd love to see all of these people who worship "correct" English start speaking and writing like 19th century British aristocracy on a regular basis. Or better yet, like Shakespeare...who, as a matter of fact, was the largely person responsible for even giving the English language a "standard" form.
    Of course, you guys could go all the way back and talk like Beowulf. We wouldn't want to offend you with the degredation that has come since the Norman conquest.
    I understand what you are saying, its natural to assume that from what I said. But I certainly don't see reverting to Old English as making English correct again, I couldn't relate to anyone who does. I don't work myself up getting offended over how other people talk. I don't appreciate grammarians either. The theory I was mentioning (not sure I accept it btw) actually isn't taking that position either, in fact it says there isn't much of a place for dressed up English in public life anymore. But thats getting away from the op.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project


    Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Do you have a problem with the terms "bitchy" or "bitching"? What's the difference?

    Err....No. Not really.
    Lot of high horses in here.

    What I find interesting is that people can take so much offense at a teasing/playful use of the word "bitch", yet repeatedly on this board there are comments made such as "women are so bitchy". "I don't make friends with women because I can't stand how catty they are". And nobody seems to bat an eyelid.

    That's fucked up.
    My Goodness you sure love the sound of your own opinion..
    I take everything you say with a grain of salt. My advice would be to do the same.. You'll give yourself wrinkles and grey hair before you turn 20 dear!!

  8. #78
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    ^nice example on how women are catty.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

  9. #79
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    No Exit is a dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  10. #80
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    lol...oops...still...nice example.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Similar Threads

  1. Famous Women and their Types!
    By VagrantFarce in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: 07-14-2016, 03:35 PM
  2. How regularly do you expect your friends to have time with you?
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-20-2010, 03:02 AM
  3. [NT] NT women list of shit they put up with from men.
    By ThatGirl in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 06-12-2010, 02:10 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-23-2009, 12:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO