First 23456 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Where are you from? Americans seem to be a bit more sensitive about that word I've noticed.
    Frankly, our culture tends to be sensitive about lots of crazy things...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Frankly, our culture tends to be sensitive about lots of crazy things...
    I tend to think it's better to be a bit too sensitive than not enough, though extremes are seldom good.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I'm Canadian, but I live in the UK.

Aussies, Kiwis and South Africans seem to be particularly fond of these turns of phrase, from what I've observed over here.
    Canadians too.

I think if you'd been brought up here, you'd struggle to be offended by it. It has lost any kind of power as an insult and there has never been a sexual connotation (other than "bitch-in-heat" which is uncommon). Language evolves/degenerates according to your perspective.
    "Skanky whore" I could live without.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I tend to think it's better to be a bit too sensitive than not enough, though extremes are seldom good.
    Sometimes it feels extreme.

I feel like our culture is passive-aggressive; we try to repress certain words and attitudes in our day-to-day contact, coddling others and making cozy little environments for ourselves, but all the frustrations and excesses have to come out somewhere else and they do.

I feel like we take ourselves far too seriously.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Canadians too.
    My impression about the down-under people might be partly to do with many of the people I've met from that part of the world being in that somewhat-younger-than-me age group.

I do remember being jokingly called "skinny bitch" by an Aussie co-worker who was about my age (and yes, I am skinny). I wonder how "fat bitch" would go down with someone not as skinny...

I think if you'd been brought up here, you'd struggle to be offended by it. It has lost any kind of power as an insult and there has never been a sexual connotation (other than "bitch-in-heat" which is uncommon). Language evolves/degenerates according to your perspective.
    "Skanky whore" I could live without.
    But "bitch" does still get used quite commonly as an insult. Maybe it's not as strong as it used to be, but it's still an insulting term for a woman if it's not very, very obvious that it's joking.

And yeah, "skanky ho" etc is pretty scary, IMHO.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I feel like our culture is passive-aggressive; we try to repress certain words and attitudes in our day-to-day contact, coddling others and making cozy little environments for ourselves, but all the frustrations and excesses have to come out somewhere else and they do.

Well, being Canadian and coming from the most politically correct country on earth, I can tell you about some extremes...which I think are in a totally different category to thinking that calling someone "bitch" is not right.

Like, my university didn't have an ombudsman...it had an "ombudsperson," because "ombudsman" is gender-specific. My brother went to the same uni and was once asked to change a word in a music review for the uni paper from "craftsmanlike" to "craftspersonlike." (He decided instead to change the word completely. And by the way, the CD he was reviewing was by a man!!)

THAT's extreme, if you like. And like I said, I think it's in a totally different category from what we've been discussing.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Like, my university didn't have an ombudsman...it had an "ombudsperson," because "ombudsman" is gender-specific. My brother went to the same uni and was once asked to change a word in a music review for the uni paper from "craftsmanlike" to "craftspersonlike." (He decided instead to change the word completely. And by the way, the CD he was reviewing was by a man!!)
    We've seen arguments like that here, I haven't run into as badly as I did back in the late 80-90's, though, i think, when PC was rocketing ahead gung-ho.

We've even made some shifts back. From what I understand, the word "actor" is now typically used for all genders, vs the "actor/actress" split, in common language (aside from the Oscars).

THAT's extreme, if you like. And like I said, I think it's in a totally different category from what we've been discussing.
    True. I think I was also referring to more the moralistic aspects of American culture, where certain words and behaviors are "morally bad" and have to be repressed or sugar-coated but then we bitch about how our media and art become saturated with the things we repress in day-to-day life.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    So how much trouble would I get in for calling Jennifer a "bitch" in rep?

The first time I was called a "bitch" was by a male friend who was obviously doing the "in" thing. He also had apparently been dating a "rough around the edges" female so was picking up some habits. I pretty much thought "is this an in thing now, calling random people bitches?" It makes more sense between female friends though. I also have a gay friend who uses the word but it seems so very different when he does, not sure why. I had to edit to add this because I had forgotten he says it.

I think it is the n-word thing, which I always thought was kind of dumb, but I get the idea of it. "You" put "us" down that's one thing, but "we" can put "ourselves" down and it's empowering.

I tend to perceive individuals who engage in such speech as lacking self-respect. So I chose people who are more mindful of their speech.

As your example points out, we often pick up habits from those we more closely associate with. For me, I like to keep it as positive as possible.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

My God, this is so true.
    Shoot an intruder by all means, just so long as you use a gender -neutral expletive first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I really think its empowering that the term 'cumdumpster' has been 'reclaimed' of recent.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"