User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 135

  1. #21
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    My ex called me "bitch" jokingly once and I was like "THAT'S NOT FUNNY." It was probably the nail in the coffin of him thinking I was humourless. He was 20 and I was 24 at the time. Maybe it was another slightly-younger/different perceptions thing.

    I still think it's a problem, though I know there's always the "reclaiming" argument.
    I'd sooner call a guy bitch than call a woman one. Totally different connotation there.

    Although, I'd kind of feel bad about even that later.

  2. #22
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    My ex called me "bitch" jokingly once and I was like "THAT'S NOT FUNNY." It was probably the nail in the coffin of him thinking I was humourless. He was 20 and I was 24 at the time. Maybe it was another slightly-younger/different perceptions thing.
    Well, in that case, (1) he's your EX and (2) he's a guy. That's outside acceptable boundaries because the term is coming from the potential "oppressor" caste. Such words only work in the (1) target caste; and in a romantic relationship, "bitch" already has a meaning of dismissing your female partner in some way, it's typically degrading.

    It seems to be a younger generation thing to me. I'm in the "mom" generation here, and my age group IRL tends to not use it much, I've gotten it a lot more, it seems to be filtering up from the Gen Y slang-savvy crowd and what's popular on TV. (That's where the guy I mentioned got it from; he's gay, and it's part of "hip gay talk" from what I can tell by watching TV, but I'm not really into it.)

    I still think it's a problem, though I know there's always the "reclaiming" argument.
    Yup. And I have mixed feelings on that argument, I can see some validity on both ends.

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I'd sooner call a guy bitch than call a woman one. Totally different connotation there.
    Well, yeah... and that's sort of funny.

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I want privileges too!
    We'll let you use the bathroom three times a day and the vending machines once, but you're gonna have to pony up with something good to get any more from us.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  3. #23
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It seems to be a younger generation thing to me. I'm in the "mom" generation here, and my age group IRL tends to not use it much, I've gotten it a lot more, it seems to be filtering up from the Gen Y slang-savvy crowd and what's popular on TV. (That's where the guy I mentioned got it from; he's gay, and it's part of "hip gay talk" from what I can tell by watching TV, but I'm not really into it.)
    True - I definitely think the whole "biiiiaaaaaaaaatch!" thing is supposed to be "hip gay talk", (or a parody of it), although I've mostly heard it between women, or occasionally a woman to a man (even a straight man) who is a platonic friend and who she considers her, um...bitch.

    Can't your gay landlord call you "girlfriend" or something, instead?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  4. #24
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    True - I definitely think the whole "biiiiaaaaaaaaatch!" thing is supposed to be "hip gay talk", (or a parody of it), although I've mostly heard it between women, or occasionally a woman to a man (even a straight man) who is a platonic friend and who she considers her, um...bitch.

    Can't your gay landlord call you "girlfriend" or something, instead?
    Yeah srsly... nothing worse than an over-aged queen trying to sound hip.

    I'd go for "girlfriend" much better, even though that would get old too.
    (After all, I do have an actual name!)

    (I keep wanting to blurt out, "Whadayawant, fag?" to sort of get my point across, but it feels so passive-aggressive. )
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  5. #25
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Err, I dunno. maybe women are getting b-word priveliges the same way black people are getting n-word priveliges?
    Yep, this. I expect it's a similar dynamic.



  6. #26
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Err, I dunno. maybe women are getting b-word priveliges the same way black people are getting n-word priveliges?
    But is this a good thing by any stretch of the imagination? I find the n-word thing pretty unsettling too.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  7. #27
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Yes. I don't really find anything wrong with using such words though... and I don't know if there is anything deeply wrong with the "pornification". It is just like when they made a big deal of women wearing pants. It is just fashion. I hope someday I am able to walk the streets naked.
    What has one got to do with the other?
    Pornoization and fashion are not equivalents. And calling someone a "bitch" affectionately or otherwise is unrelated to either.

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    What is this about? I find it creepy.
    Comments?
    *shrug* I think it has become innocuous through overuse.
    Where are you from? Americans seem to be a bit more sensitive about that word I've noticed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  8. #28
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    What has one got to do with the other?
    Pornoization and fashion are not equivalents. And calling someone a "bitch" affectionately or otherwise is unrelated to either.


    *shrug* I think it has become innocuous through overuse.
    Where are you from? Americans seem to be a bit more sensitive about that word I've noticed.
    I'm Canadian, but I live in the UK.

    Aussies, Kiwis and South Africans seem to be particularly fond of these turns of phrase, from what I've observed over here.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  9. #29
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    So how much trouble would I get in for calling Jennifer a "bitch" in rep?

    The first time I was called a "bitch" was by a male friend who was obviously doing the "in" thing. He also had apparently been dating a "rough around the edges" female so was picking up some habits. I pretty much thought "is this an in thing now, calling random people bitches?" It makes more sense between female friends though. I also have a gay friend who uses the word but it seems so very different when he does, not sure why. I had to edit to add this because I had forgotten he says it.

    I think it is the n-word thing, which I always thought was kind of dumb, but I get the idea of it. "You" put "us" down that's one thing, but "we" can put "ourselves" down and it's empowering.

  10. #30
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    So how much trouble would I get in for calling Jennifer a "bitch" in rep?
    Infracted. Next!

    (actually, if you were funny, I'd laugh. )
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Similar Threads

  1. Famous Women and their Types!
    By VagrantFarce in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: 07-14-2016, 03:35 PM
  2. How regularly do you expect your friends to have time with you?
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-20-2010, 03:02 AM
  3. [NT] NT women list of shit they put up with from men.
    By ThatGirl in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 06-12-2010, 02:10 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-23-2009, 12:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO