User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Like maybe some girls are trying to emulate some image in the media. I'm thinking though that there are others like the above who completely live it. And probably would be that way no matter what was in the media.. like maybe my bartender friend would have been a loud serving wench in medieval times Some things never change.
    This is close to what I was thinking... People are faking to be what is supposed of them. I don't see the situation much different from when it was custom to fake to be a nice and pure girl. The tragedy is that now it would be quite ok to be yourself. It doesn't have far-reaching consequences like it may have been back in the old days. People are not taking this chance, I don't know why...

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Apparently there are a lot of men who get off on this sort of behaviour, though.

I'm not sure if girls who behave/talk like this are doing it more for each other, because they think it's fun or whatever, or if they think it's a good way to get attention from guys.
    I'm sure there are a gazillion male and female barbarians out there. Unfortunately for the rest of us, they tend to breed in mass.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Apparently there are a lot of men who get off on this sort of behaviour, though.

I'm not sure if girls who behave/talk like this are doing it more for each other, because they think it's fun or whatever, or if they think it's a good way to get attention from guys.

I think it's for women. Why, I don't know. They act different and quieter with me at least.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I think it's for women. Why, I don't know. They act different and quieter with me at least.
    I wonder if it's the female equivolent of a metrosexual?

Maybe a bitchosexual?

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    I wonder if it's the female equivolent of a metrosexual?
    They are part of the same phenomenon... Looking around you to conform to what you think others will like. But, isn't the main issue here really: Why don't we like them? Because they are popular, or at least try to appear in a way that makes them popular. But who are we? If we are as real as we can, doesn't it make it more possible for us to be noticed by people who we would like to notice us?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Err, I dunno. maybe women are getting b-word priveliges the same way black people are getting n-word priveliges?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I want privileges too!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Err, I dunno. maybe women are getting b-word privileges the same way black people are getting n-word privileges?
    Pretty much. Those two + other words (like "tranny" in the transcommunity) can be "reclaimed" by the demographic they originally were used against as a slur, but you can't use them if you were not part of the demographic without them coming across as yet another act of oppression.

I just see it as generic slang at this point, although when it's overused it becomes annoying. I'll say it to close friends when we are joking around with each other, but it can get old fast. The guy who I rent a room from tends to use it more than my name, because he thinks he's being trendy, and I'll have to have a talk with him soon if it continues; I'm flexy and appreciate humor, but it gets old.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I want privileges too!
    Okay, what oppressed group are you a part of?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Pretty much. Those two + other words (like "tranny" in the transcommunity) can be "reclaimed" by the demographic they originally were used against as a slur, but you can't use them if you were not part of the demographic without them coming across as yet another act of oppression.

I just see it as generic slang at this point, although when it's overused it becomes annoying. I'll say it to close friends when we are joking around with each other, but it can get old fast. The guy who I rent a room from tends to use it more than my name, because he thinks he's being trendy, and I'll have to have a talk with him soon if it continues; I'm flexy and appreciate humor, but it gets old.
    My ex called me "bitch" jokingly once and I was like "THAT'S NOT FUNNY." It was probably the nail in the coffin of him thinking I was humourless. He was 20 and I was 24 at the time. Maybe it was another slightly-younger/different perceptions thing.

I still think it's a problem, though I know there's always the "reclaiming" argument.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING