User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    he shouldn't have joined the SS then
    This just made me think of a youtube clip by Dendrophilian. He address this very subject in a funny and entertaining way as usual. But since linking to offensive material is forbidden I would advice anyone who consider themselves sensetive to freespeech to skip forward to 6:00 where he's proving his point.

YouTube - Holocaust Fun Fact!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Sometimes I wish the nazis had won just so that people would stop whining.
    It's been 65 years. Seriously.

The people shot were probably opposing the German war effort.
    There are no innocents in war.
    And in war, you can't be as picky about who you execute as in times of peace.
    If I had been in the Waffen SS, I would probably have killed more than three people due to my brutal efficiency and low tolerance for bullshit.

I do not judge this man. I would have done the same, and more, objectively speaking.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    I felt sad for that guy. He is trying so hard to be annoying...

His facial expressions are annoying.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Sometimes I wish the nazis had won just so that people would stop whining.
    It's been 65 years. Seriously.
    65 years doesn't mean "no consequences"

MBTI
    ESFP

Many people seem to forget that punishment has no value aside from prevention of wrongdoing. Regardless of the details, this was 7 decades ago and nothing can be gained by sentencing this man. Time to let it go. Also, I am highly skeptical of anyone claiming the moral high ground, as if they would have done nothing wrong had they been born in this man's place and brought up with the same influences.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I really see where nolla's coming from in this thread...

If someone puts a gun to your head and tells you to kill someone, and you do...it's not so clear that you should be punished. Even if that person was your friend, or someone you trusted, it's not like your poor judgment in making friends is the same as you being a cold-blooded murderer.

It seems like many of you are saying, they should have seen that they group wasn't tolerant! As if that's the same thing as consciously choosing to commit murder.

It's possible he made a mistake (and who here can imagine the sociological setup in his situation?), found himself in over his head, and in constant fear for life. When you essentially have a gun at your head at all times, your actions should be blamed more on the gun holder than you. Even if you "should have known". That just seems so closed-minded.

I'd love to say I wouldn't have been involved. I believe I wouldn't have. But I'm not going to take the stance that that large of a percentage of a population was made entirely of individuals personally responsible for their actions. There's more to it than that. So many people were dying all over the place that you have to allow for the effects that has on psychology.

I hate nazis, by the way.

Kultainen Kuningas Devil Flamingo's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    LOL

Well, judge and convict me all you like but... If I have to choose between getting myself killed and killing a stranger, you can bet I will choose to kill the stranger. I don't need to be in Nazi Germany to know that much. I'd not have joined the SS if I could help it, period, as I hate the military and all that, but you gotta do what you gotta do. The thing is, after a certain point I'd probably just break, and the Holocaust lasted long enough that I'd probably get sick of following orders and either run away or die trying. :\

However, if it were the case of killing my mother or my best friends, or someone I "knew" relatively well despite not being close to them, etc., that I cannot and will not do, so at that point I'd just get shot, XD. To me, the line between killing another human being is drawn between knowing and not knowing at all the person, so.

But anyways, I believe the man shouldn't be judged. This happened decades ago. He's had a lifetime to repent and see how what he did was wrong, but he's also had decades to reflect on the fact that: 1) at the time he had no choice, and 2) you cannot change the past even if you spend your life wishing you could. He should be let go and left to live the rest of his likely troubled life in relative peace.

*shrug* I think it's ridiculous to judge people for something like this when it's been so long, especially given the circumstances. It's not like the man was a goddamn serial killer who just got a kick out of killing people, for chrissakes.
    4w3 sx/so ·· ISFP (?) ·· rcu|E|n
    gryffindor-ravenclaw ·· chaotic neutral
    leo sun ·· scorpius moon ·· earth dragon

metsän ukko halliparta, metsän kultainen kuningas,
    ava nyt aittasi avara, luinen lukko lonkahuta!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    65 years doesn't mean "no consequences"
    Assuming that killing them wasn't justified in the first place, that is.
    Like I said, the dear ol' victims were probably resisting the German war effort in some capacity.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I just read these news:

BBC News - Former Nazi SS member convicted of Dutch murders

I don't know what to make of this. If it is true that he would have been shot if he disobeyed, then who can claim to be any better than this guy?
    Dude didn't do anything wrong.
    Oh, its
    You