User Tag List

123 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Default Anti-Introvert inventions.

An idea that's crossed my mind from time to time, is the way our ever developing society seems to increasingly produce inventions that Introverts hate. Yes, it did give us the internet, which was great, but it's mostly been stacked against us.

I'm thinking of cell-phones, for instance. I hate those things.
    We are becoming more and more obligated to carry them and leave them on. Any where I am, I could be struck by an annoying tune that means someone wants to pester me. It's not prudent to leave your cell-phone anymore.
    People bitch at you when you do.
    I also don't enjoy being the only person talking to someone, and suddenly having my conversation hijacked by a person on a cell-phone.
    And of course, they're everywhere... The dial tones all over the place,
    even in theaters and libraries!
    I hate the cell-phone.

Can anyone else here think of an invention aggravating to Introverts?
    And by all means, if you are an Introvert that is not bothered by cell-phones, then speak up.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Can anyone else here think of an invention aggravating to Introverts?
    ENTPs.

Oberon

At a place where I used to work, everyone used IBM 286's with Novell Netware on a Token-Ring architecture (that dates me severely, but truly it was old hardware even then).

Within the OS, you could type a one-line message to a co-worker using Novell's SEND function and it would pop up on the recipient's workstation (interrupting whatever that co-worker was doing at the time and requiring the user to clear the message before it would allow you to do anything else in the user interface.)

Fortunately, if you really didn't have the time or inclination to respond to such messages, there was another command... CASTOFF... that would prevent your workstation from receiving them.

What was really strange was that I (an extrovert if there ever was one) would occasionally make one of my co-workers (an introvert if there ever was one) really angry by using the CASTOFF command and thereby preventing him from sending me any messages.

He seemed to regard it as his right to use the SEND function just whenever, and that it was my obligation not to use CASTOFF or I was being rude.

I still haven't figured that one out.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Cell phones make me crazy. I have to have one for security reasons, but otherwise, I really hate the thing.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah I hate cellphones too, I've often ranted about them. I only got one a few months ago for the first time cos I moved into an office that didn't have a phone line yet, and I never really use it outside of the office. I often leave it in there.

I really hate it when I'm having a conversation with someone, or lots of people, it doesn't matter, and someone's cellphone rings and they answer it, then proceed to have a totally different conversation with someone on their phone, meanwhile the rest of us can neither continue our previous conversation, nor join in with his new one. I think it's pretty rude to leave cellphones on when you're at dinner with someone for instance, unless you're like a doctor or a social worker or something.

As far as I'm concerned, my cellphone is there so that I can be reached when I want to/need to be. Not so that anyone can reach me anytime THEY want to.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Oh, I HATE cell phones.

I don't own one, and I hope to never have one. :-) It's probably inevitable though that I'll eventually have one forced upon me!

I don't like most electronic gadgets though.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I'm very analog.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    ENTP

Allow me to introduce the only telephone I use outside of my office

(apologies for the blurry picture, you know how it is with keeping the camera still on long exposure without a tripod - at least it obscures my phone number lol)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

AH! A rotary phone!! You have no idea how much I miss those things. I grew up with one, a black heavy thing you could brain a bull with.

*misty*
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    Infx

I used to have a wall rotary phone!! Sometimes I would go downstairs to call people just so I could use it. :3

I don't mind cellphones, but perhaps that's because people aren't obsessive with calling me. I actually like getting calls or text messages now and again. It makes me feel like people love me. But I do have a tendency to leave it at home.

It's really all in how you use them. It's nice if you're in a group and get separated, or in the car and need directions(pull off to the side to call please. ) And even if it interrupts conversations.. as long as the person acknowledges that fact and hits the ignore button or something, I'm cool. It's when they answer it and pretend like you disappeared that gets to me. Or when they're hanging out with you, but walk off to the side just to randomly call someone else. WTF?! Am I that boring?
    Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence. - Elihu Burritt

Member of the Maverick's Biker Club - Now crashing through walls instead of just..walking into them.