First 1234 Last

Thread: Chop Chop

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    So I booked my consultation for my cosmetic surgery, and am pretty exceited. However, after speaking with others I am a little surprised at the social stigma when going under the knife.

How is it any different than hair color, fake nails, or all the other shit we do to alter our natural appearance?

What are your thoughts on plastic surgery? How do you view people who have had "work" done?
    There's a big difference.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Normally I'd keep my opinion to myself on such a personal matter, but as long as you're asking...

I admit that I have very negative feelings about cosmetic surgery. I feel like it's an extreme physical solution to a mental dilemma. I do separate it clearly from hair, nails and the like. The difference is that surgery is a far more extreme solution than those things. You can't really compare them. You're risking all the medical complications that go with surgery, and you're also risking a botch job. I have negative feelings about the idea of appearance being so important as to hazard these risks. I admit that if I learn someone I don't know very well has had cosmetic surgery, I naturally assume that they are more superficial. And I firmly believe that people who think the surgery is going to magically fix their self-esteem are deluded.

Naturally there are a few caveats. The reason matters. If I know someone well, I'm more likely to understand their motivating factors. I also understand that sometimes women are pressured into it by bullying husbands or boyfriends. Finally, I do make a distinction for those born deformed or who suffer a disfiguring injury. I fully admit that I may be making a distinction of degree that may not stand up to rigorous debate. But it's just how I feel.
    I feel like this.

There is a lot about myself that I don't like but I think one of the important things in life is coming to appreciate yourself warts and all. Your flaws are just as much a part of you as your positive attributes and one of the important parts of life is learning to live with them.

No matter how much surgery a person has there will always be something lacking - someone more attractive than you. I know some people that are absolutely gorgeous but they look in the mirror and see nothing but imperfections. The difference between what I see and they see is merely attitude.

I think plastic surgery is an attempt to take a short cut and skip the more difficult path of self-acceptance. But there is no short cut with these things and you will have to face the hard facts sooner or later. Self-esteem is not defined to how you look and surgery cannot fundamentally change it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I agree with FMUU and Southern Kross.

I do think cosmetic surgery is wonderful for defects and the like, however. But in the cases where these people are getting multiple corrections for no real reason there is no doubt in my mind they're mentally fucked.

I post on another forum where a poster is never happy about her appearance. Her boobs are too small, her skin isn't good enough, her whatever is too whatever, etc. She looks beautiful to me, but desires cosmetic surgery for her breasts and facial scars (her breasts are normal btw and I actually have more severe scarring than her). I think she realizes her view of herself is delusional and warped, but she still wants surgery and is saving up for it. I'm not going to say that's wrong but IMO it doesn't solve the issue. I believe she has BDD or something though. She is beautiful but I think when she looks into the mirror she sees an ogre or something.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I am in the school of thought that says.. It's your body.. do what you want with it..

However personally.. I find that a lot of the times the people who want it.. seem to be quite pretty as they are (the OP being no exception to this)
    Many celebs have in fact RUINED their looks by doing it,, Meg Ryan , Patsy Kensit and Jeannie Garth are 3 who I thought were quite lovely before they had it done.. and All 3 will never make my Hot celeb list now.. when they once did.

I also like small Boobs.. so fake ones are a real turn off..
    And I think women overestimate how important their boobs are to men anyway..

MBTI
    INTJ

THIS MAKES ME SO ANGRY
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by No Exit View Post
    I am in the school of thought that says.. It's your body.. do what you want with it..

However personally.. I find that a lot of the times the people who want it.. seem to be quite pretty as they are (the OP being no exception to this)
    Many celebs have in fact RUINED their looks by doing it,, Meg Ryan , Patsy Kensit and Jeannie Garth are 3 who I thought were quite lovely before they had it done.. and All 3 will never make my Hot celeb list now.. when they once did.
    This. I don't have a problem with plastic surgery to fix something that's been a source of frustration, like a hooked nose or a droopy eye or uneven breasts.

Where I have a problem is, like No Exit mentioned, when people who are already perfectly lovely alter their looks so as to be unrecognizable or not-quite-human looking. Or when the altered state of "perfection" becomes the norm--where we all start aspiring to something that can't be achieved in nature, and feel terrible about ourselves in the process, chasing a moving target.

There are some people who've had some fantastic plastic surgery, though. Look at before pictures of Jennifer Garner and Kate Beckinsale. It's good surgery because most people just think they were born that way. Without her lips, though, Jennifer Garner would be a kind-of cute nerd girl. She would never have had the career she's had.

Something Witty

MBTI
    INTx

Circumstantial. Depends what's being done and why.

In the end though, do what makes you happy.

MBTI
    XXFP

am I really the first person in this thread to ask...

What are you getting done, TG?
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    XXFP

as to the general opinions bit:

I suppose, as technology progresses, what is a complicated, expensive procedure will become something accessible and simple. look at the botox party phenomenon.

i'm sure dying your hair even 50 years ago was not as easy as picking up one of 30+ shades of blonde, red, brown or black in a box for a few bucks at CBS.
    of course, it's not permanent...
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I can't speak on it one way or another. Sometimes people get nose jobs to breathe better because of the way things were misplaced earlier in life, or it could be as simple as fixing a toe that was headed in a funky direction.. I don't much see the harm in it.

I think, just like with hair color and make up, people get addicted to it and go a bit crazy with it. But I don't really feel any stigma towards people that do it just because there are some extremists out there.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge