User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    infp

Default Explaining the meaning of a word??

Does anybody else have trouble explaining what a word means to other people?

I do. I know what the word means, but I can not for the life of me, at times, translate that into words that someone else can understand.

I had to explain what a dictatorship meant to someone yesterday lol and I was saying "You know, it's a dictatorship, you know......."

Infact I'm not very good at explaining things at all, even if I know something, when it comes to verbalizing those things, I become quite flustered and find it very hard to put it into concrete terms that they will understand.

Anyone else find this happening to them?

I would make a crap teacher.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Phantonym

YES! This is very, very, VERY troublesome for me. I also know what the word means but it's too difficult to put it in some coherent form without frustration. It's so clearly in my mind, I can FEEL the meaning, but when I try to put it into words, it's so inadequate.

And then, after I think I've put my thoughts into at least some kind of an understandable form, I still get the look. I can try to explain myself for all eternity but I still get the feeling that not many get it, not really. That certainly doesn't make me feel good.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I try to put it in a context or sentence.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    YES! This is very, very, VERY troublesome for me. I also know what the word means but it's too difficult to put it in some coherent form without frustration. It's so clearly in my mind, I can FEEL the meaning, but when I try to put it into words, it's so inadequate.

And then, after I think I've put my thoughts into at least some kind of an understandable form, I still get the look. I can try to explain myself for all eternity but I still get the feeling that not many get it, not really. That certainly doesn't make me feel good.

Yes, exactly. I can feel the meaning so clearly, one of those "tip of the tongue" moments, and when I think I have managed it, my audience still appears confused.

If I'm near my pc, I will simply look it up and tell them what the dictionary says lately because I've given up trying.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Salt n' pepper View Post
    I try to put it in a context or sentence.
    TBH this is how I learnt all the words I do know. I've been an avid reader all my life, and as a kid read adult books, and simply knew the meaning based on the sentence and it's context. Obviously some words needed to be looked up, and sometimes still do, but that's how I learn.

I think I will try this way. This is how I help friends through MBTI (online) testing, give them examples of the question and fitting it in to concrete real life examples. It's hard even then, because concrete examples aren't exactly my thing, but worth a shot.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    TBH this is how I learnt all the words I do know. I've been an avid reader all my life, and as a kid read adult books, and simply knew the meaning based on the sentence and it's context. Obviously some words needed to be looked up, and sometimes still do, but that's how I learn.

I think I will try this way. This is how I help friends through MBTI (online) testing, give them examples of the question and fitting it in to concrete real life examples. It's hard even then, because concrete examples aren't exactly my thing, but worth a shot.
    Yeah. I find it to be much easier to remember a word if I understand how to use it and how it fits into a context, rather than just remembering the definition of the word.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Words are a lot easier to me than trying to explain what's going in my mind with math! I definitely "feel" knowledge and it makes it harder to express.

MBTI
    SEXY

Never had problems with this. You just throw in a billion metaphors until they get it.
    (removed)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Chuh, today I talked to a deaf lady and her husband and neither understood a word I said...something about delivery, no we don't want tea delivered, no we didn't order any tea pot gas, no we didn't ask for slip slop slap, now look here sunny, I don't know what kind of prank your pulling but we don't go for any of this telemarketing bull, yeah like o_kay I so don't have an accent that bad. T_T hahaha me trying to explain you've got a delivery, when do you want it?

And as to explaining words, hahah, latest example alla my favorite brother. Do u know what protean means. I pause for almost five minutes, ye_s...I don't believe you. Explain it, I can't, look it up on the internet. See you don't know what protean means. I do, I ah just can't explain it. Then he explains what protean means, guh like gummy balls.