User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    hey guys can u explain what explanation means?

It means to explain something.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

usually people paint some sort of picture that includes the word as an element of it.

some odd people choose a picture that is supposed to be rather familiar than accurate. for example this autistic guy explains internet servers by comparing them with servants and he is very proud that his explanation is so "easy to understand". he should draw children books. except no children of the future will ever understand what a server is, if they learn to picture something that works completely differently instead. a servant does funny things like observing you, following you, being polite. a sever is expecting a request that must possibly include correct referrer information.

what i am saying is, that some people feel that an explanation is sufficient, when they can picture how the thing works internally, while other people need to have basic information about how to use or interact with it, while others feel that it is sufficient if they know it's context .... where it is, what it consist of... there are many different ways of explaining something, few of them click with the person you happen to talk to right now.

carl jung differentiated "negative" thinking, which explains things away, by replacing them with a solid image (or label) that prevents you from asking further questions and "positive" thinking, which adds something (speculative, that could possibly be tested) that explains the functionality. (the modes negative and positive can be found in all judging functions, possibly similarly in perceptive functions)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I kind of like the challenge of trying to explain things like that. My mum tutors a friend's daughter (the friend is Chinese and so they mostly have functional English in their home). The daughter writes down all the unfamiliar words and then my mum goes over them with her. The other day her and I were like a tag team to come up with the best, quickest explanation. Learning to explain words is mostly a function of having to do it frequently and finding what works and what doesn't. Giving examples of context though is often the main way people seem to catch things. I think that's why it is so difficult for people who dislike reading to expand their vocab very quickly.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm pretty horrible at this too.

My brother always tries to ask me... "Lace, what does '_____' mean?". I want to smack him upside the head, because he knows I can't do that.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

There's this thing called a dictionary ...

Enneagram
    9w8

No. I actually extremely enjoy explaining concepts or words to other people, and normally can understand what wording or method of explanation works best for those I speak to.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Actually, it would be fun to start a thread where we gave difficult words to explain and people had to take a stab at it.

Enneagram
    9w8

Without looking it up to clarify the specific meaning and different possible facets of a word's definition?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Taking common words, and asking people to come up with an explanation on the spot. I was just thinking about how I would define the words explanation and I came up with "telling someone what something means".

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

It is often difficult to translate English words to Estonian. A girl asked me for the meaning of the word "menace", I couldn't find anything, so I told her that if there were a lot of rats in a city, and they ate all the people, then the rats would be a menace.
    Last edited by The Outsider; 03-23-2010 at 07:28 AM.