User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 14

  1. #1
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Question The Shadow of Information Age

    Cool title, huh?

    I was thinking about all the information that we now get access to, and how the focus of the media still seems quite narrow. I have this feeling that there are so many things I would like to know about but fail to find. Googling is ok, I guess, but many times it is like searching a needle in a haystack, and often I am not even aware of what it is I am looking for, or I am unable to find the right words to describe it.

    So, I thought of a different approach. I dedicate this thread to all things that remain in the shadows. If you feel that you know subjects that are currently either not discussed in popular media or have too marginal status in the media, please share. Sure, this won't solve my searching problem, but might be interesting anyways...

  2. #2
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    en tiiä. mitäs ite?

  3. #3
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    It might be easier for everyone if we kept it in English...

    Ok, I'll start. I feel that there isn't enough talk about the meaninglessness of life. It seems like many, even most of the people are confronted with this question at some point in their lives. Still, you don't see it getting much time on tv. This might be because it is a vague sort of a problem. You can't really solve it, except for yourself, and even then you have this nagging doubt that you didn't actually solve it. Still, I think it would be beneficial to have discussion about this. Too many people are drugged out of this question.

  4. #4
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    No one will tell us.

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Cool title, huh?

    I was thinking about all the information that we now get access to, and how the focus of the media still seems quite narrow. I have this feeling that there are so many things I would like to know about but fail to find. Googling is ok, I guess, but many times it is like searching a needle in a haystack, and often I am not even aware of what it is I am looking for, or I am unable to find the right words to describe it.

    So, I thought of a different approach. I dedicate this thread to all things that remain in the shadows. If you feel that you know subjects that are currently either not discussed in popular media or have too marginal status in the media, please share. Sure, this won't solve my searching problem, but might be interesting anyways...
    Well sure, the media never mention transubstantiate or deracinate. Yet this is what we do every day.

    Both come from the very heart of our culture, and yet it is a heart we hide from ourselves.

    For millennia we were told open heart surgery was forbidden by God, until Dr. Christiaan Barnard performed the first transplant in 1967 in Cape Town, South Africa.

    Dr Barnard did both. Not only did he transubstantiate but he deracinated as well. But all the media told us was what a playboy he was.

    The media rendered transubstantiation and deracination meaningless.

    But the media did this with the best will in the world, for the media were protecting us from ourselves.

    The media watch over us and only tell us what we need to know. Every newspaper, every newscast, is on a need-to-know basis.

    For if we needed to know the meaning of transubstantiate or deracinate, we would already know.

    And as we don't know, we don't need to know.

    And no one will tell us.

  5. #5
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    So, media is the inertia keeping a culture going at a direction? And the need-to-know basically means "for the masses by the masses"? So, what will happen if the free information counters this old trend? What would information anarchy look like?

  6. #6
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Even God won't tell us.

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    So, media is the inertia keeping a culture going at a direction? And the need-to-know basically means "for the masses by the masses"? So, what will happen if the free information counters this old trend? What would information anarchy look like?
    No one will tell us, not even God.

    From the very beginning we had to steal knowledge in the Garden of Eden.

    God even went as far as to forbid us to eat of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.

    But we couldn't help ourselves and helped ourselves to the Tree of Knowledge.

    The truth is that we cannot be told knowledge - knowledge must be stolen from the Gods.

    And as knowledge is power, power can never be given - it must be taken.

    It's the only way, it's our way - we must steal knowledge and take power.

    Like Prometheus we steal fire from the Gods.

  7. #7
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post

    So, I thought of a different approach. I dedicate this thread to all things that remain in the shadows. ..
    All things are born from the darkness.

  8. #8
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Funny that the responses have such a mystical air around them, while the OP isn't meant to imply that the information left in the shadows is any more mysterious than the sport news.

    BTW, sport news are some of the things I would like to see taken to the shadows... The fact that they are almost as important as the real news actually implies that the real news aren't really that important at all.

  9. #9
    Feelin' FiNe speculative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL
    Posts
    929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I dedicate this thread to all things that remain in the shadows. If you feel that you know subjects that are currently either not discussed in popular media or have too marginal status in the media, please share. Sure, this won't solve my searching problem, but might be interesting anyways...
    Home - Coast to Coast AM
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

  10. #10
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    It might be easier for everyone if we kept it in English...

    Ok, I'll start. I feel that there isn't enough talk about the meaninglessness of life. It seems like many, even most of the people are confronted with this question at some point in their lives. Still, you don't see it getting much time on tv. This might be because it is a vague sort of a problem. You can't really solve it, except for yourself, and even then you have this nagging doubt that you didn't actually solve it. Still, I think it would be beneficial to have discussion about this. Too many people are drugged out of this question.
    I disagree actually.. I think the underlying thoughts of existentialism are shared and discussed by a great many people. And many just fall under one of two categories. That of Keirkegaard's or that of Camus'. While it's never discussed in those terms explicitly, many people are finding meaning in God (Keirkegaard) or in self created meaning (Camus). You can find many people in the media making reference to either viewpoint.

    Anyhow!.....

    Shadow of the internet eh? I suppose a picture of tubgirl is out of the question

    Do not step into the shadows... I'm warning you.

Similar Threads

  1. In the age of information...
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-03-2016, 08:31 AM
  2. Donald Trump and the shadow of Europe’s far-right
    By Olm the Water King in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-27-2015, 11:12 PM
  3. Angelina Bennet's 'The Shadows of Type'
    By Zarathustra in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-02-2015, 09:49 AM
  4. The Future of Thinking in the Information Age
    By Mole in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-16-2010, 05:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO