User Tag List

First 12

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I disagree actually.. I think the underlying thoughts of existentialism are shared and discussed by a great many people. And many just fall under one of two categories. That of Keirkegaard's or that of Camus'. While it's never discussed in those terms explicitly, many people are finding meaning in God (Keirkegaard) or in self created meaning (Camus). You can find many people in the media making reference to either viewpoint.
    Really? You mean talking about actually applying philosophy to daily life? I don't remember ever seeing such a discussion on tv or newspaper...

Not exactly.. I just mean existential thoughts, so to speak, are kind of like a theme in the modern age. Very few are knowingly voicing the concerns of existentialists, but they are voicing them nonetheless. It's as pervasive and part of the public consciousness as much as, say, psychology is. Few actually study psychology, but many are self proclaimed psychoanalysts nonetheless, and adopt much of the lingo. Same deal with existentialism, I think.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Ah, yeah, I know what you are saying... it certainly is there somewhere between the lines, but it seems to be more so outside the media. It is like people have almost unconscious idea and fascination with it. I think they would like to hear someone put it in a practical and compact form...

I think some do. I think it's one of the jobs of artists to communicate philosophy in more compact ways. And by art, I don't just mean Picasso. It could very well be a Hannah Montana song.. Although I don't listen to Hannah Montana, I wouldnt be surprised if she has a song about looking for meaning in the world... from a tween perspective :P