First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Edit: I do acknowledge a fleeting intuition that Reputation will send this place to Lord of the Flies.
    A) supernova, b) black hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I admit, I am intensely curious what would happen if INTPc just suddenly had a reputation system, no guidelines and no controls.

A collective hearty LOL for you two gentlemen.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Actually, pt, you pointed out something very relevant which is making all these debates just a little beyond conjecture (or I'm reading in between your lines too much):

The motive and rules for the repping were not that clear in the first place.

Or did I miss them somewhere.

pt: "My own sample is notably empty of any "helpful" posts (ie: higher time and content) while my one liners seem to get +reputation. I do see a similar pattern when judging just by content merit."

Perhaps they didn't find the helpful posts any that helpful? .

I take your points, I'd be interested to see what happens in about a month though, if this is implemented for real, after the fluff gets settled.

And I kind of agree with sub somewhere here where he said posting more would be playing into Haight's hands. (Picture: All the borogaves, mimsy-ing, Haight: )

And Piranha. . . you're evil . . you're vibrating me remotely.

MBTI
    INTJ

I belong to another board where other people rep each other just because they're friends and just to increase their rep power.
    (They disabled the "negative rep" a long time ago - before I joined.)

Usually I rep someone to compliment them in some way.
    It's faster than writing a PM.

Any post that makes me laugh, makes me cry, I admire, think is well-written, I heartily agree with, etc will get a rep from me. Or sometimes they have a really awesome avatar, and I will rep them for that! :-)

MBTI
    INTJ

Why? It's not meant personally, so it shouldn't be taken that way. The purpose of the forum is to explore the theory and its application -- there's hardly a reason not to posit a type. And if all conjecture here is depreciated by the fact that it is "solely from internet posts," what's the point of being here in the first place?

Edit: I do acknowledge a fleeting intuition that Reputation will send this place to Lord of the Flies.
    I have known my MBTI type for over 15 years and have been using MBTI to understand myself and my children for that long as well. It has helped me understand the differences in behavior and helped me be a better mother.

I frequently second-guess myself. This person's comment could have sent me on a wild goose chase for months with re-questioning my type, if I was any less secure in my certainty that I am an INTJ.

Just for the record, I belong to another MBTI type forum where offering your opinion on people's "wrong" type is against the rules.

The rep comment was not unkind on the surface - but as Laser said, it was unsolicited. And it did "hurt my feelings" a little, for lack of the proper descriptive. It's a little bit of an insult to my intelligence that I can't figure out my own type, and a brash assumption - on the part of most likely a young person - that they know more about myself than I do.

I am not anything like the ISTJs I know. The healthy ones are awesome people, but I am not one of them.

MBTI
    GONE

Wow, FWIW, I have to say I had no idea the reputation system would be taken so seriously. I thought it was kind of a joke or lighthearted function. I crack myself up leaving people points. I gave Kiddo +1 for being misunderstood, I gave 2 others +1 for their avatars, I gave Whatever +3 -- +1 for each post in the rep thread where she kept on saying "What's going??? What's rep??? I'm confused!" I thought it was funny. And I left it with the comment "Stop being confused!" for the first two and then finally 'OMG!!!!' when she kept saying it. Hahahaha.

I thought no one else could see our rep so it was really for our benes, own amusement, etc. The equivalent of a thumbs up across the room.

MBTI
    GONE

I just noticed if you put your pointer over people's 'reputation bars' it tells you a bit about their rep. Apparently many of us are worthy of a garage sale bowling trophy, some of us shouldn't change our avatars, and one or two are doing better than others but not some.

It makes me feel like I'm playing an RPG...

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Why? It's not meant personally, so it shouldn't be taken that way. The purpose of the forum is to explore the theory and its application -- there's hardly a reason not to posit a type. And if all conjecture here is depreciated by the fact that it is "solely from internet posts," what's the point of being here in the first place?

Typing a person solely based on their posts is both ignorant and inconsiderate. #1, you can only see a small portion of what a person is like from their posts. #2 you are saying that you know a person's type better than they know themself, which is quite an ignorant viewpoint in light of #1. #3 you are assuming that they are not projecting a false persona over the internet. And #4 it's someone like unsolicited advice in that it's usually rude to give unless specifically asked for.

Basically it's ignorant, rude and unproductive. There is no good reason to do it. You may try to figure out the person's type in your head, but it's best to keep that thing to yourself unless asked.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Just for the record, I belong to another MBTI type forum where offering your opinion on people's "wrong" type is against the rules.
    I don't see this being implemented here- we wanted to have as few rules that were as general as possible because this is a casual environment. Basic civility is pretty much all we ask, or plan to enforce. If the person had said "Good grief, you're boring, where do you get off calling yourself an INTJ? you're probably an ISTJ, you boring lady" then we would do something about that. Simply offering even an unwelcome opinion of your MBTI type, while I can see could be annoying, isn't hostile or anything like that.

I am sympathetic to your concerns, but we have purposefully avoided a very top-down management strategy, expecting people to police themselves for the most part.

Edit: just to clarify, I do not think INTJMom or ISTJs in general are boring. That is all!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Typing a person solely based on their posts is both ignorant and inconsiderate. #1, you can only see a small portion of what a person is like from their posts. #2 you are saying that you know a person's type better than they know themself, which is quite an ignorant viewpoint in light of #1. #3 you are assuming that they are not projecting a false persona over the internet. And #4 it's someone like unsolicited advice in that it's usually rude to give unless specifically asked for.

Basically it's ignorant, rude and unproductive. There is no good reason to do it. You may try to figure out the person's type in your head, but it's best to keep that thing to yourself unless asked.
    If people never mentioned their actions, this would be true. However, they do. When they do this enough, you can piece together a pretty complete picture after a while.

Or they're the kind of person who lies chronically to strangers on the Internet.

Either way it tells you a lot about them.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

ha.

it's amazing how serious these 'rep' points are being taken. much like real life, some will get you and some won't. where's the shock? for the ones with a 'great rep', all they really know is that the ones who like them are people who take the time to say. the same goes for those who don't have a 'great rep'... for all you know, you do have a great rep, but the ones who think so just aren't the type to let you know by bothering with a click.

all it inevitably tells is that some people share their opinions, and some don't.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery