User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I have an arsenal. Don't provoke me to unleash it.
    You know how sometimes, no means yes, and yes means no? No. . . don't unleash all these boys of lost summers. My boss is already asking me why am I smiling so dreamily every day now.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I would agree, in theory, but disagree with the results (least from my own small sample of posts that have been ranked).
    is that a hint? But I digress.

The most likely outcome is that people's natures of posting will change in order to appeal to a particular class of people - those that will add to reputation. Self censorship of ideas that may not gain reputation (ie: not be popular, seperate from the value it may or may not have) would occur, while an increase of posts that would be, essentially, karma whoring.
    My question is, is the majority here really rewarding overt karma-whoring? Or are the posts which are getting repped useful in some way? I doubt there're that many Paris Hiltons on the board using this as an exercise in self-affirmation?

My read of it was that after a teething period of karmic back-rubbing (ENFPs haha ), the forum will settle into rewarding the right posts vs only negativing things you do not like. I think the only one who got really badly repped was t07, no?

It rarely increases the value of posts because good posts take a very long time to write/research/think about. Short witty posts get as much attention, and certainly the cost-benefit between the two favors the shorter posts by far.
    That is contingent upon the fact that posters are only posting to gain rep? And also contingent on the assumption that short, witty posts are not as valuable.

I'd argue that the length of a post does not necessarily correlate to its quality.

The argument I am having with myself is if having the feedback itself is worthwhile relative to the influence on behaviour. Even as someone who doesn't care much about the reputation, other behaviours will change to adapt to their 'perceived' rank. It is akin to ranking students in a class - even though it may be "fair", those at the bottom of the ranks simply try less hard, while those at the top expect it.
    Point taken.

But that is an individual choice what to make with the feedback, is it not. If for e.g. you had 1 negative comment, vs 10 positives. Vs 10 negatives and 1 positive, surely that is cause for reflection?

I think as the forum grows, if a certain amount of self-discipline is not enforced, sooner or later, the modmins decisions will be challenged at most turns. I couldn't think of a better way actually.

Between a bunch of wildcats or a bunch of wildcats who know the boundaries, which system would we rather be in?

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I don't think people are likely to change the way they post to get more positive reputation points. I think they may, however, avoid posting anything which could conceivably offend anyone after a little negative reinforcement, even if everyone else on the forum would enjoy the post. If you have one negative report for a post and no counterbalancing positive reports, then you could well decide that such comments are universally disapproved of on the forum.
    Perhaps this is a matter of perception, but I wouldn't take one comment on one post as a universal disagreement of my overall content or style actually?

And Haight did say this was a test anyway. . If it doesn't work, or someone can come up with a better system of organisation, why not share it? I've been thinking through the past nights, but couldn't come up with a better idea, actually. It is flawed, but not without merits. Personally I feel more pros than cons. Perhaps that should be the vote?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    That is contingent upon the fact that posters are only posting to gain rep? And also contingent on the assumption that short, witty posts are not as valuable.
    Agreed. There's value in getting to the point.

MBTI
    INTj

Hahahahaha....

Let me get this straight: A little phrase (that is freaking hilarious, by the way) shows up when you hover over a little green light in your avatar and now your censored?

I repeat. . . Hahahahaha. . . That's absurd.

EDIT: Oops. . . notta must have been logged into this computer. My apologies.

- Dr. Haight

MBTI
    Infx

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Which they demonstrate by making an unjustified personal attack?
    I dunno. o.O I just didn't want to seem like I was rubbing it in someone's face that they were totally wrong or whatever.. covering both sides so that I wouldn't be intruding on their intentions?

er.. this is why I generally keep my mouth shut. heh.

And...wow.. people are arguing over the reputation thing now. Kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
    Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence. - Elihu Burritt

Member of the Maverick's Biker Club - Now crashing through walls instead of just..walking into them.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    is that a hint? But I digress.
    Aha! So it was you leaving those comments! (But no, no hint.)

My question is, is the majority here really rewarding overt karma-whoring? Or are the posts which are getting repped useful in some way? I doubt there're that many Paris Hiltons on the board using this as an exercise in self-affirmation?
    You can review it for yourself if you want - you can sort by the top members of reputation and search back over the posts that have been made in the last couple of days. My own sample is notably empty of any "helpful" posts (ie: higher time and content) while my one liners seem to get +reputation. I do see a similar pattern when judging just by content merit.

As it currently stands, I would say that posters are not changing behaviour yet, only that posts that are being encouraged are not really being ranked along content. Temporary or not, I don't know.

My read of it was that after a teething period of karmic back-rubbing (ENFPs haha ), the forum will settle into rewarding the right posts vs only negativing things you do not like. I think the only one who got really badly repped was t07, no?
    The bad rep doesn't seem like it'll be the problem. As I said, I'm not sure if it will be good or bad, but there is a certain amount of social engineering that needs to go with it. Throwing it to the wolves, so to speak, of the forum will be much less likely to be beneficial than a set of guidelines on what to encourage. Course, that's why I asked if it was going to be permanent, but I got another non-answer.

Contingent upon it influencing behaviour. It's logically true - it is either useless or will influence behaviour. People will change the way they post.

A board of funny wit is not what I look for, anymore than I encourage group-think (ie: those that show "virtues" according to the public due to image or common beliefs are normally ranked up - something like Digg or Slashdot, even with a different form of "reputation" falls to this)... but that's my opinion. I think the quality of the board, in general, would change if there was encouragement of this.

I'd argue that the length of a post does not necessarily correlate to its quality.
    Hence why I used "good" rather than long... wit just isn't normally long. Good advice takes time to think out, good research does as well... In short, good posts take more time than bad posts or one liners. This again comes down to encouraging a certain type of post through the reputation system. The natural inclination for reputation is certainly biased towards "like minded" posts.

But that is an individual choice what to make with the feedback, is it not. If for e.g. you had 1 negative comment, vs 10 positives. Vs 10 negatives and 1 positive, surely that is cause for reflection?
    That may be true, but my point is more about distribution of positive reputation (where reputation itself has an influence of perception). No negative feedback is required to cause the distinction.

I think as the forum grows, if a certain amount of self-discipline is not enforced, sooner or later, the modmins decisions will be challenged at most turns. I couldn't think of a better way actually.
    As I said, I haven't decided if it is better or not. I probably won't be able to until it plays out. However, I do entirely disagree with this. This is not a small forum already, but there are both larger and smaller that manage without a reputation system. It is not a requirement and it is rarely effective at policing activies - or rather, it is very effective as policing a particular mindset in the board. That can be good, although I don't think it is effective for more social boards.

MBTI
    INTJ

This is what someone wrote to me:

You're alright... but imo mistyped. I would guess you're really an ISTJ.

They didn't sign it, so I have no way of responding, except for posting here, that I had almost no "S" preference for most of my young life. Now that I am 48 years old, and I have lived with a super-observant husband for 25 years, I have learned how to be observant, but it doesn't come naturally.

INTJs don't really have a whole lot going for them. I try to adopt good traits that I see in other people.

I guess I should be happy that I got some rep points out of it.

I'm looking forward to when the author's name automatically shows up.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    This is what someone wrote to me:

You're alright... but imo mistyped. I would guess you're really an ISTJ.

They didn't sign it, so I have no way of responding, except for posting here, that I had almost no "S" preference for most of my young life. Now that I am 48 years old, and I have lived with a super-observant husband for 25 years, I have learned how to be observant, but it doesn't come naturally.

INTJs don't really have a whole lot going for them. I try to adopt good traits that I see in other people.

I guess I should be happy that I got some rep points out of it.

I'm looking forward to when the author's name automatically shows up.
    I'm sorry you received that comment INTJMom (from whoever it was).

One of my pet peeves has to be when one poster types another poster when it's completely unsolicited. Sure sometimes people ask things like, "Can you help me figure out my type?" But there are other times when it's completely off topic and the person just says, "I think you are really X type." Geez it's almost impossible to type someone solely from internet posts. :rolli: The fact that it's anonymous just makes it worse.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    One of my pet peeves has to be when one poster types another poster when it's completely unsolicited.
    Why? It's not meant personally, so it shouldn't be taken that way. The purpose of the forum is to explore the theory and its application -- there's hardly a reason not to posit a type. And if all conjecture here is depreciated by the fact that it is "solely from internet posts," what's the point of being here in the first place?

Edit: I do acknowledge a fleeting intuition that Reputation will send this place to Lord of the Flies.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Edit: I do acknowledge a fleeting intuition that Reputation will send this place to Lord of the Flies.
    I admit, I am intensely curious what would happen if INTPc just suddenly had a reputation system, no guidelines and no controls.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I admit, I am intensely curious what would happen if INTPc just suddenly had a reputation system, no guidelines and no controls.
    A) supernova, b) black hole.