User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Since the reputation function is so devoid of accountability, I thought I would make a thread which allows people to reply to comments made on their reputation page. Let that which was typed in darkness be exposed for all to see! So show us any comments which you want to whine about protest or seek some explanation for. There is of course no guarantee that the anonymous commenter will answer you, but you never know...

My contribution:
    This post elicited this pronouncement: "your comments are gross and mean-spirited."

My reply: Gross, okay I will grant that. But mean-spirited? Don't go visiting my intentions. Don't ever.

Attachment 956
    Honestly, I think you're overreacting a bit. The whole point of that function is so that you can say what you really think about a post (positive or negative) without having to worry about politics. Trust me, I have a lot of critical (and even kind) comments about posts that I usually withhold, and now I can let some of them out without fear of retribution. And if someone doesn't like anything in my post, I appreciate them telling me so, so I can know what they didn't like about it. And I would be more likely to use the criticism constructively since I don't have a knowable person to blame for the comment.

And... "Don't visit my intentions"? When you post on a public forum, you're opening yourself up to that. As far as I know, you don't have any sort of fundamental right to not have your intentions questioned. Sorry if that bothers you.

My personal motto (and others may disagree) is, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the oven." Also see, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

I don't dislike you (in fact I think you say insightful things at times, for instance when you brought up a topic about European-American cultural differences about traveling), but I do disagree with your disdain for the anonymous reputations in this case.

MBTI
    INFP

Aha! A nibble!

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Honestly, I think you're overreacting a bit. The whole point of that function is so that you can say what you really think about a post (positive or negative) without having to worry about politics. Trust me, I have a lot of critical (and even kind) comments about posts that I usually withhold, and now I can let some of them out without fear of retribution.
    Firstly, if you don't like a post, then why not PM the person responsible and allow them the opportunity of a reply? Secondly, I have no problem with criticism regarding a post. But when unjustified inferences are made concerning my motivations in posting something, then I get tetchy. Not hugely tetchy, but definitely tetchy.

And if someone doesn't like anything in my post, I appreciate them telling me so, so I can know what they didn't like about it.
    As do I. Preferably on the relevant thread or via PM, however, so I may explain/defend myself.

And I would be more likely to use the criticism constructively since I don't have a knowable person to blame for the comment.
    Seems like a recipe for paranoia to me.

And... "Don't visit my intentions"? When you post on a public forum, you're opening yourself up to that. As far as I know, you don't have any sort of fundamental right to not have your intentions questioned. Sorry if that bothers you.

My personal motto (and others may disagree) is, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the oven." Also see, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."
    Actually, that was a Firefly quote offered for humorous effect. Hence the picture. And posting on a public forum does indeed open me up to being groundlessly insulted, as does any form of communication. Until recently, we have always been able to reply to such insults.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    This post elicited this pronouncement: "your comments are gross and mean-spirited."

My reply: Gross, okay I will grant that. But mean-spirited? Don't go visiting my intentions. Don't ever.
    Yikes (!).

Maybe they don't know you, but you are generally not the type of person to be mean-spirited, even when you don't like something someone's done.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Honestly, I think you're overreacting a bit. The whole point of that function is so that you can say what you really think about a post (positive or negative) without having to worry about politics...
    I think that's a little ridiculous -- you think it's simply better to insult someone to their face, in a medium that affects their reputation? It's *still* politics!

Honestly, if you really don't like something someone wrote, and you don't think it's something to make a public issue out of, whatever happened about addressing someone privately in PM about it... where they have an opportunity to actually respond to your complaint? That way, misunderstandings can be worked out.

One of the most insulting things I ever received in my life was a little note someone left me on the piano that I found Sunday morning right before worship, telling me that the piano looked messy and I should really clean it up and honor God... and it was signed "anonymous."

If they had talked to me first, they could have found out that we already realized there was a problem but had no easy storage for the music.

They would have found out that we were looking for a bookcase or some other item we could purchase to organize the music.

They would have found out I was actually bothered by it and trying to be conscientious.

Instead of talking to me on a personal level, that I could respond on, they basically just "rated" me as defective or wanting and slurred my character.

Obviously it bothers me to this day, and it happened 14-15 years ago or so. I don't remember ever feeling so hurt and outraged and embarrassed that someone thought so poorly of me and didn't bother to even address the issue like an adult.

So there you go: If you have an issue with someone, please use a PM rather than slapping numbers on them and ruining their rep needlessly.

EDIT: Obviously this is a bit redundant with Jeff's reply. But maybe that just gives more power to the validity of this solution.

EDIT 2: This is me wearing my "Member's" hat, not a Mod hat.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Weird. I don't see the mean-spirited part. Besides, like Jennifer said, it's not like JJJ to be mean-spirited.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

When I was in automotive school, I had a teacher who came up with an idiot idea to have a peer review.

This meant, as the only female amongst an OCEAN of rural alpha males, that I was going to be "little lady"-ed right down the drain. And I was. It was humiliating. The teacher even posted the results on the chalkboard for everyone to see, complete with comments. My abilities as a mechanic were always being undercut by SOMEONE wanting to either drum me out or "put [me] in my place". I stood up in the middle of the review (or should I call it, the character slaughter), called out a few names, gave them the finger, told them to go straight to hell, then did the same to my teacher after I got done verbally carving him up.

It destroyed me. That's why I never EVER shred someone unless they deserve it and I do it to their face. To have anonymous criticism that I can't mount some sort of rebuttal to really makes me feel ambushed. If I've done something wrong or offensive, I want a chance to square it or clarify. That's also why I've only used the Reputation system to be silly and try to make people laugh a little. What else could it possibly be good for but starting fights.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

erm. well. I don't know about everyone, but I've taken to signing off my comments. Almost signed off with my real name once, that was a close call. *lol*

whatever happened about addressing someone privately in PM about it... where they have an opportunity to actually respond to your complaint? That way, misunderstandings can be worked out.
    Exactly. Issues are solved MUCH better when they are dealt with personally and empathetically. When they are delivered anonymously, it makes me think of a coward who doesn't want to be held accountable for their criticism.

If someone has a complaint that they have to make anonymously, they aren't interested in discussing anything. They just want total compromise on your part, and don't want your side of the story or your defense. They just want to prick you enough that you snap to attention. I agree that those anonymous criticisms can really hurt. Your story just made me go, "Aw." Sorry that happened to you, Jen!

Jeff and Jen, those criticisms were totally misinformed and inapplicable!

erm. well. I don't know about everyone, but I've taken to signing off my comments. Almost signed off with my real name once, that was a close call. *lol*
    Same. I like people to know that I appreciate them. So far, no criticisms. Those probably are better dealt with through pm, and they're certainly better dealt with bearing a name.

MBTI
    ISTP

Actually, this may one of the rare times I agree with Athenian, even if I disagree with the original comment. The reputation system exists for exactly those reasons.

1) To create a ramification that carries through to the poster for the public opinion of every post made to date. Obviously this only exists so that people can make snap judgments on the value of the poster - otherwise the reputation would be silent or tagged only to posts/threads. This transcends rating the value of a particular post independently.

2) To allow feedback to be passed back in detail and in aggregate. This is the stated purpose and was used in exactly that way - ironically, this is better than any friendly back scratching in terms of using it for its stated purpose. This follows from NPGs comments about it being about rating the posts and not the people. That was what was done, and it seems to have been done in honesty. The system is suppose to show the net balance on that post that should reflect people's opinions on it.

To be clear - I haven't made an opinion on if the reputation system is good as a whole.

As a side note, I've made a point to make several "witty" comments and several informative posts since it was incepted. Want to guess what gets modded up? At least this comment actually conveyed some form of value (though I still don't even get the joke to start with <_< ).

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I simply worry people are going to start censoring everything they say for fear that they aren't being witty or insightful enough.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious