User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Seriously, how cute is this guy?

+1
    I'd say he is completely correct. It is a very valid concern. I've seen no indication that this translates to higher quality posts so far.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I'd say he is completely correct. It is a very valid concern. I've seen no indication that this translates to higher quality posts so far.
    But do you agree that he's adorable?

For the record, he wasn't arguing that the point system would increase post quality, but decrease it by making people more concerned with their reputation, which I still think is far-fetched since the people who care so much about their reputation to compromise their posts aren't posting from "their essence" anyway. Second, the point system can still add to the overall quality of the site by providing incentive for people to post quality posts (despite Seahorse's contention). Third, even assuming people compromise their posts, the system can still add to the fun of the site, boost moral and quality of "life," and in a roundabout way, lead to better conversation and post-quality. And of course, the benefits don't all have to measured in terms of their effect on independent thought; simply making the site more fun and interactive is a virtue by itself.

MBTI
    yupp

pink-thanks

x (whom I'm guessing is xander)-Thank you

to the person who said I was nice-That's sweet, but I wouldn't go that far.

to the person who blames me for the invonking 'wretch' notion of the rep system-I don't see how. I posted a poll and people before I posted a poll were worried about negative comments/points. Also I had nothing to do with the rep system I was just curious as to if anyone had received negative comments or points.And I have no problems with this system one way or the other.Also I think this rep system should be light hearted and not taken seriously.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    It was a mistake to add the reputation feature. Undermines the integrity of our posting by exhorting us to prostitute our ideas to appease the fancies of the readers.
    Because I agree with your opinion, RATE UP!!!! However I didn't bother reading your other posts which have more content, i.e. waste of time.

My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    For the record, he wasn't arguing that the point system would increase post quality, but decrease it by making people more concerned with their reputation, which I still think is far-fetched since the people who care so much about their reputation to compromise their posts aren't posting from "their essence" anyway.
    I keep hearing this phrased in such extremes. Some people will change, some won't... some will care, some won't. It will influence forum culture and that will change the way people post. There'd be no point having it otherwise. Even if some are treating it as a game, others won't. Some will ignore it - some will take it seriously. Some types that we want to encourage will see it as a signal of authority.

Second, the point system can still add to the overall quality of the site by providing incentive for people to post quality posts (despite Seahorse's contention).
    It could do a lot of things, good or bad. Behaviour will follow the path of least resistance. In a technical forum, it will reward knowledge and advice because the purpose of the forum, it's social purpose, is to provide that kind of feedback. It also follows the path of least resistance in a mostly social forum, - popularity, circles and group reputation giving. Improvement comes from encouraging the behaviour that will be +repped. As I say below, diversity is the main concern for "quality" posts. Least resistance says - do what gets +repped and takes the least effort.

Third, even assuming people compromise their posts, the system can still add to the fun of the site, boost moral and quality of "life," and in a roundabout way, lead to better conversation and post-quality.
    So, even if the posts become worse, the quality of the forum will improve because people encourage more posts of kind? I'm not even thinking that people will compromise their posts - it isn't that simple or direct... but that makes no sense to me.

And of course, the benefits don't all have to measured in terms of their effect on independent thought; simply making the site more fun and interactive is a virtue by itself.
    I was on the fence on this for a long time. There could be benefits. However, after thinking about it for some time, I've come to realise that it is highly unlikely that it will encourage what I'd want to see in a forum. Realising, however, that this is mostly a social forum (and the social part is not something I participate in much), it may just be my preference not to be back in highschool.

I don't expect to be 'unpopular' since I have an approach that will attract attention to my more direct opinions. But I have 2000+ posts. Others won't. We can say "it doesn't" matter as much as we want - it does... it matters even to me, just a little bit. Something to fight for after being here so long. Not having it would amount to not being a contributing member.

I'd much rather not have a bunch of green dots under my name and a collection of "support" in my PMs. I'd rather hear why people agree or disagree, in the thread. I'd like to see no way out of contributing to a thread. I don't want to be the one fighting for something just because I have time to post, speaking for others. I'd rather have a discussion. I really don't want a crowd behind me, or even to be aware of if people supported me or not.

In short, I don't want to be keeping score. Not for myself and certainly not for others. Although, I do find it amusing that I have be +repped for my opinions on not wanting the reputation system.

And I'd really become irritated if my reputation ever became a proxy for "authority" when talking. Everywhere I went to see the reputation system, this was an present. I want an egalitarian forum, without social divisions based on post count, status, join date... and certainly not reputation. This is a great concern for me - the other things I can temper and deal with, this one I cannot.

Everyone approaches the forum from different angles. I like it because of the topics, the intelligence, the arguments... not much of it is social. I like sharing my life and hearing others sure, but I'm just not socially minded. Others are looking for exactly the opposite. I fear that the reputation will cause small social fractures between groups that normally get along, for example, the social groups ranking each other up in turn, while others fall "behind" (say, like BWs posts, which I don't enjoy, but are well thought and expanded upon - part of the diversity of the forum). You are putting pressure, even if it is resisted, to certain behaviours and actions. It will take its toll. Not active? Low reputation. Hell, really good, if rare, posts? Low reputation. Active poster with friends? high reputation. These things all contribute to the atmosphere of a forum.

MBTI
    ENTP

Thanks, Ivy!
    I don't wanna!

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

eh.. whatever, is it you leaving me the big green grins. lol.

if so thanks, if not, thanks to whoever.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    eh.. whatever, is it you leaving me the big green grins. lol.

if so thanks, if not, thanks to whoever.

“Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

To whomever said I was a whore and smelled like poor people covered in cheese...

...thanks. That's a great improvement over the other feedback I've been getting.