User Tag List

First 3111213141523 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    It was a mistake to add the reputation feature. Undermines the integrity of our posting by exhorting us to prostitute our ideas to appease the fancies of the readers.
    You observation suffers from 3 major holes:

1. You assume people won't give credit for independent and original ideas, which is false. If people reward independent thought, then there is no added incentive to compromise the integrity of your ideas.

2. You assume that people who are willing to prostitute their ideas are already contributing to this site, which is at least questionable. People who are willing to sacrifice their ideas for status are probably not contributing in any deep way anyway by virtue of their independent thought. (Though they certainly contribute to the culture and connection felt here.)

3. The reputation system didn't suddenly introduce anything new. People who say things to appease others were doing it before the system was implemented, and getting congratulated for it as well; it simply wasn't memorialized. Rest assured that if the Rep System is nixed, they'll still be their fawning, smarmy selves.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    to the person who left me a smiley in the christmas cookie thread-

sorry for never leaving my name since I know that it drives some of you crazy! if it's along the lines of a or Because I Can it's probably me!

I don't think that the reputation system is bad- I use it as a way to thank people, or when I would smile, laugh or say "awww" in real life! It's just another way to express some form of gratitude!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

just so you know I will be the only one randomly giving rep based solely on the fact of whether or not I like the person....

and just so you all know I like everyone.... therefore depending on my mood at one time or another I will find something good in every post, that is worthy of rep
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

sorry for never leaving my name since I know that it drives some of you crazy! if it's along the lines of a or Because I Can it's probably me!

I don't think that the reputation system is bad- I use it as a way to thank people, or when I would smile, laugh or say "awww" in real life! It's just another way to express some form of gratitude!
    I don't mind if you leave a name or not. I mean as along as it's not a mean comment, and if you are going to something mean you should leave your name so I have a fighting chance. Otherwise it doesn't matter

I'm not saying it's bad, I just don't see why we can't compliment people through pm or on here instead.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I still don't know how to change the amount of points I'm giving.
    It's automatic. You don't have much control over it. It's based on factors of how long you've been here, how many posts you have, etc.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    3. The reputation system didn't suddenly introduce anything new. People who say things to appease others were doing it before the system was implemented, and getting congratulated for it as well; it simply wasn't memorialized. Rest assured that if the Rep System is nixed, they'll still be their fawning, smarmy selves.
    It didn't introduce anything new, but I do think it matters to some people and they're doing what they can to increase their reputation. I didn't realize internet ass kissers are more tolerable than the ones we see everyday. But when it's wrapped clever wordsmithing and dry humping I suppose it's OK.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

[QUOTE=ThatsWhatHeSaid;87228]You observation suffers from 3 major holes:

You assume people won't give credit for independent and original ideas, which is false. If people reward independent thought, then there is no added incentive to compromise the integrity of your ideas..
    This tends to be rare. As people too often tend to confuse appearance for essence.

You assume that people who are willing to prostitute their ideas are already contributing to this site, which is at least questionable People who are willing to sacrifice their ideas for status are probably not contributing in any deep way anyway by virtue of their independent thought. (Though they certainly contribute to the culture and connection felt here.)...
    The point is that such people constitute the masses who are hardly noticed. Their presence will have a lot to say about your reputation.

The reputation system didn't suddenly introduce anything new. People who say things to appease others were doing it before the system was implemented, and getting congratulated for it as well; it simply wasn't memorialized. Rest assured that if the Rep System is nixed, they'll still be their fawning, smarmy selves.
    No it did not introduce anything new. It only promoted our initial toady tendencies.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    It's automatic. You don't have much control over it. It's based on factors of how long you've been here, how many posts you have, etc.
    Ah! I didn't know it worked like that. That's why Cze Cze was calling me Voltron then. LOL! I gets it now.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    The point is that such people constitute the masses who are hardly noticed. Their presence will have a lot to say about your reputation.
    And in what way does that tarnish the quality of the site? Sounds like what you're really worried about is your own reputation here, eh?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I really don't see how this will be bad for the more introverted or technical in the group. At least not any worse than for the Fs or for the Sensers. What I worried about was childish backbiting, but again, I'm beginning to believe that that's not going to materialize because the people here really aren't jerks or grand-standers. I don't see how the technical approach will be any less appreciated.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious