User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 75

  1. #51
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatnot View Post
    Is this the part where I casually mention that I was valedictorian of my class...?
    Whatnot, are you Whatever's doppelganger? You are the practically exact opposite type!

  2. #52
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    OOOH! You just called Stanford better than CAL!!! And you'r a CAL student!!!!

    I'm so telling...someone...

    I'm surprised you got into Berkeley if your grades are as low as you say, since they are on a strict mathematical weighted system. And why do they frickin call UC Berkeley 'Cal'???

    And I only vaguely remember the SAT changing to add another 800 point section. And also keep 'readjusting' the curve for the SATS. If they keep this up, the scores will be totally inflated and ridiculous and defeat the purpose of ETS to be taken seriously.

    Nothing personal to the folks with the big ducks on the thread of course.
    haha. stanford just is better than cal... i'm not gonna deny it just because i happen to go to cal. i didn't even bother applying to stanford.

    and i never said my grades were terrible. i got a 3.4. it just happened to be worse than average at my high school

    also, i think they call UC Berkeley Cal because it was the first UC. (just a guess actually)

    p.s. they re-weighted the SAT around '95 i think. but believe me, it's not like high scores are statistically meaningless. i know 1490 is 99th percentile (not sure where the 99th percentile cutoff is, but it's definitely below 1500).

  3. #53
    No me digas, che! Recoleta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ISXJ
    Posts
    600

    Default

    Eh, Ivy....sorry but I officially take your place for lowest SAT score at 1070. In my own defense, I took it at the beginning of 11th grade when I had not yet even taken Geometry (my school went Alg.1 to Alg. 2 to Geometry to Precalc)...so that made the math part kinda hard. I only took it once without studying and didn't care to take it again...that score was good enough.

    My GRE score was a 1210 (670 math, 540 verbal) without studying...not fabulous, but once again, good enough. My Master's program only requires an 800 for entry *shrug*

  4. #54
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    I've always been an horrible student meaning that I never did any homework nor glanced at a book until I was about 20, but I always got very high test scores - still managed to get a good GPA in HS by paying attention at class. I took the SAT as standardized test for entrance at university and got a 1502, actually to my surprise 790 on the maths part and 712 on the linguistic. Still my GPA is around 3.4 right now, but uhm, I haven't really studied anything at college either However I do many extracurricular activities - sports, they're much better than books. My teachers in high school always bothered me for not living up to their expectations, but they didn't understand that some people are just not tailored for sitting all day long and instead need to move all day long.

  5. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    I agree, I'm actually a bit surprised. There are some super high scores being posted here, I would have thought they'd get people into any school. But I'd imagine schools place high value on high school grades too...so if the two don't line up, maybe that's one possible reason.

    Also, back in 95 they re-centered the scores, so maybe there are just a lot more people getting high scores these days? Eh, that probably has nothing to do with it; distribution of scores would have stayed the same.

    Ptgatsby, any thoughts?
    I used to tutor for SAT prep. The post-1995 recentered scores are, on average, worth between 80 and 120 points less than pre-1995 scores. The lower scores have the least discrepancy and the highest scores have the most, obviously. In the eternal wisdom of the testmakers, they decided to fix years of sliding scores by just giving everyone a higher score. They put a new paint of coat on a collapsing house.

  6. #56
    Senior Member celesul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I used to tutor for SAT prep. The post-1995 recentered scores are, on average, worth between 80 and 120 points less than pre-1995 scores. The lower scores have the least discrepancy and the highest scores have the most, obviously. In the eternal wisdom of the testmakers, they decided to fix years of sliding scores by just giving everyone a higher score. They put a new paint of coat on a collapsing house.
    That definitely makes sense. I have a number of aunts and uncles that are extremely smart, and I can't see them scoring as low as they did if the scores meant the same thing. Although the highest scores are more clumped. Some would be brought down a lot, some not. I don't know if mine would be, but a few friends of mine are complete geniuses and one got a perfect score, another took it in middle school and barely missed a thing. When he takes it for real, I will not be surprised if he gets a perfect score. I think they'd both do about the same even if it was harder.

    However, when they added the writing section, they changed the other two a bit. Through a gifted program, I took the SATs in 7th and 8th grade, and my 8th grade year was the first year that they had the writing section. The english got a lot easier (I was surprised. My english tests, intended for 8th graders, that year were far harder than the english SAT, intended for 11th graders). On the other hand, they changed the math section so that it required more knowledge. I had just started Geometry, and although a graphing calculator would have helped a lot (I forgot a calculator and got stuck doing it all by hand), the test did require more. The writing section is stupid though. They require it to be written in pencil, and studies have shown the bad handwriting influences a grader. Also, grading writing in a standardized manner taking barely any time for each doesn't seem logical.

    Still, the SATs are no harder than 8th grade English tests and 9th grade math. More than anything else, they test test taking ability. It doesn't indicate likeliness of success, doesn't measure intellect very accurately, and generally gives very little info. I find it pretty disturbing that a college entrance exam is easier than some middle school tests.

    And, does anyone have advice for convincing my teachers that I really don't want to take AP english next year, and that scoring well on the PSAT means I'm good at grammar and vocab, and has no correlation to writing? My mom pointed out that my scores weaken my argument that I'm not a great writer, but I'd like to avoid AP english without annoying my teachers.
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

  7. #57
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    28

    Default

    I have issues with the SATs because it's an "aptitude test"; however, if there are "tricks" to getting a higher score, it obviously doesn't measure your aptitude.

    By looking at my course load, GPA, class rank and all, my scores were actually pretty average. Meh.

    CR: 620, 620
    Writing: 590, 610
    Math: 510, 590
    Total: 1720, 1820

    I took it again December 1, but I don't figure out until the 15th or something.

  8. #58

    Default

    I can't speak for the new test with the writing section, because I've neither taken it nor seen it. But I think the SAT as a concept is valuable. It measures knowledge, not grades. In this way it serves as a tool to compare students who may come from high schools that grade differently. An "A" at a high caliber high school is much different from an "A" at a subpar school. I don't agree that it "measures how well you take tests". Either you know the answer to a question or you don't.

  9. #59
    Senior Member celesul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I can't speak for the new test with the writing section, because I've neither taken it nor seen it. But I think the SAT as a concept is valuable. It measures knowledge, not grades. In this way it serves as a tool to compare students who may come from high schools that grade differently. An "A" at a high caliber high school is much different from an "A" at a subpar school. I don't agree that it "measures how well you take tests". Either you know the answer to a question or you don't.
    not quite... You can use the questions to help answer the others, depending on the test. It works best on non math sections though. And the ability exists, it's just not taught. It's what lets people ace tests in stuff they don't know...
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

  10. #60
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by celesul View Post
    not quite... You can use the questions to help answer the others, depending on the test. It works best on non math sections though. And the ability exists, it's just not taught. It's what lets people ace tests in stuff they don't know...
    I don't think test-taking ability is quite that strong.

    After taking lots of standardized test I got pretty good at it... there are lots of skills involved that, as you say, are not taught... but they never would have enabled me to get an A on a test on a subject I didn't know.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1147
    Last Post: 11-27-2017, 02:09 AM
  2. What was your school stereotype?
    By prplchknz in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 138
    Last Post: 11-14-2015, 11:03 PM
  3. What was your father (or man who raised you)'s type?
    By Mr. Sherlock Holmes in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 02-20-2015, 11:26 PM
  4. What is your IQ score?
    By Riva in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 191
    Last Post: 09-05-2012, 07:01 AM
  5. What was your income last year?
    By TSDesigner in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2009, 06:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO