User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Angry Help me type a character in this book.

I’m reading a story that was based on true advents, but was written postmortem (I think the book was written a few years after the guy died) and I am trying to figure out the main character’s personality.

The character’s name is Chris McCandless, from the book “Into The Wild.” The main story is about the character hitch hiking and adventuring around America with little supplies (By ‘little supplies’ I mean that he walks into Alaska with intent to live through part of winter and early spring- and he only had a 10 pound bag of rice and a hand full of fiction novels in his possession!).

These are his qualities:
    • He was a straight A student.
    • Chris never wanted to be bested by anyone. When his sister began playing an instrument better than he could, he quit playing that instrument all together.
      -
    • Chris had a moral code that he didn’t apply to everyone. Chris had high moral standards for people he hated, and loose ones for people he respected. Example: he admired a man who was a heavy drinker, philanderer, and a wife beater. But he despised his father for cheating on his ex-wife and eventually marrying the woman who would become Chris’s mother.
      -
    • Chris loved hiking as a child. He took a trip to do some mountain climbing at ‘Longs Peak’ in Colorado (14,256 feet at the summit [I think.])
      -
    • He loves taking dangerous approaches to solving problems and achieving goals. At the point of the story where he wanted to cross the river, be bought a canoe (in current times, this would be a $1500 purchase) as apposed to buying a ticket to cross.
      -
    • Chris hates almost all forms of authority. When his manager at McDonalds tells him to bathe more, Chris takes every opportunity to show disobedience to his manager. Example: the rules that all employees had to follow were ‘must wear SOCKS and shoes.’ At the end of Chris’s shift and during breaks, he would take off his socks right in front of the manager with an angry expression on his face. (passive aggressive?)
      -
    • Immediately out of college, he traveled America for 2 years by hitch hiking and walking.
      -
    • He bought a tin canoe on a whim and paddled the Colorado river.
      -
    • He hated the principal of using money, he thought that everyone should just be charitable.
      -
    • He renamed himself Alexander SuperTramp.
      -
    • He ran away from his parents and cut off contact whit his sister.
      -
    • He befriended an 80 year old man (Franz) and told him to ‘sell all of his possessions and live life on the road not knowing where you are going to be next’.
      -
    • He programmed computer code that worked flawlessly. When his father asked him to explain how and why it worked, Chris said “all you need to know is that it works… you don’t need to know why.” (page 120 of ‘Into the Wild’)
      -
    • Back in high school days He tried to persuade his high school friend to enter Guatemala with a hand full of weapons and take down the government. When his friend refused, Chris decided to go and do it alone (he sent a post card to his parents telling them that he was going to be ‘righting wrongs’ down in Guatemala). He ended up visiting Alaska instead.
      -
    • He never once carried a map.
      -
    • The necessary details that might have kept him alive (like carrying more food, extra clothing, a pair of mud boots, where he was going to go next, and what he was going to do once he got there) he viewed as trivial miner obstacles that he would deal with once he set up camp in his new location.
      -
    • Chris wrote in his journal in third-person.

-----
    -----
    -----
    This was a letter Chris McCandless sent to the 80 year old man I mentioned earlier. The letter tells Franz to sell all his furniture and live life on the road.

This is an exact quote from pages 56, 57, and 58 from Jon Krakauer’s “Into the wild.”

“Alex here. I have been working up here in Carthage South Dakota for nearly two weeks now….
    I will not be here in South Dakota very much longer. My friend, Wayne, wants me to stay working at the grain elevator through May and then go combining with him the entire summer, but I have my soul set entirely on my Alaskan Odyssey and hope to be on my way no later than April 15. That means I will be leaving here before very long, so I need you to send any more mail I may have received to the return address listed below.
    Ron, [Franz’s first name] I really enjoy all the help you have given me and the times that we spent together. I hope that you will not be too depressed by our parting. It may be a very long time before we see each other again. But providing that I get through this Alaskan Deal in one piece you will be hearing from me again in the future. I’d like to repeat the advice I gave you before, in that I think you should really make a radical chance in your lifestyle and being to boldly do things which you may previously never have thought of doing, or been to hesitant to attempt. So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun. If you want to get more out of life, Ron, you must lose your inclination for monotonous security and adopt a helter-skelter style of life that will first appear to you to be crazy. But once you become accustomed to such a life you will see its full meaning and it’s incredible beauty. And so, Ron, in short, get out of Salton City and hit the road. I guarantee you will be very glad you did. But I fear that you sill ignore my advice. You think that I am stubborn, but you are even more stubborn than me. You had a wonderful chance on your drive back to see one of the greatest sights on earth, the Grand Canyon, something every American should see at least once in his life. But for some reason incomprehensible to me you wanted nothing but to bolt home as quickly as possible, right back to the same situation which you see day after day after day. I fear you will follow this same inclination in the future and thus fail to discover all the wonderful things that God has placed around us to discover. Don’t settle down and sit in one place. Move around, be nomadic, make each day a new horizon. You are still going to live a long time, Ron, and it would be a shame if you did not take the opportunity to revolutionize your life and move into an entirely new realm of experience.
    You are wrong if you think Joy emanates only or principally from human relationships. God has placed it all around us. It is in everything and anything we might experience. We just have to have the courage to turn against our habitual lifestyle and engage in unconventional living
    My point is that you do not need me or anyone else around to bring this new kind of light in your life. It is simply waiting out there for you to grasp it, and all you have to do is reach for it. The only person you are fighting is yourself and your stubbornness to engage in new circumstances.
    Ron, I really hope that as soon as you can you will get out of Salton City, put a little camper on the back of your pickup, and start seeing some of the great work that God has done here in the American West. You will see things and meet people and there is much to learn from them. And you must do it economy style, no motels, do your own cooking, as a general rule spend as little as possible and you will enjoy it much more immensely. I hope that you the next time I see you, you will be a new man with a vast array of new adventures and experiences behind you. Don’t hesitate or allow yourself to make excuses. Just get out and do it. Just get out and do it. You will be very, very glad that you did.

TAKE CARE RON,
    ALEX”

-----
    -----
    -----

My english teacher is having me do a report on Chris McCandless. I was hoping I could just look up his personality- but I'm not sure what he really is.

... I was thinking that he might be an ISTP, INTP, ENFP, or even an ISTJ. Thoughout the book, there are SO MANY conflicting signals.

I just don't know what to make of this character. God, I hate his ideology though- what little I can make of it. :steam:
    Q: "What is the process of seeking the truth?"
    A: "Distilled liquor"

Q: "If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?"
    A: "Between a starving prostitute and a steak sandwich."

Q:How would a mathematician capture an elephant?
    A:He would build a cage, step inside, and rename his new location as "outside."

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Funny, I just read this book.

Sorry to be nit-picky, but just to be clear, as far as I know this book was 100% factual (well, as far as things are 100% factual when interpreted by another person, the writer), not an "inspired by a true story" kind of thing. Jon Krakauer interviewed friends and family members to build up the picture, as well as using McCandless's diary and letters, etc.

I had a gut feeling he was ISFP or INFP - and unhealthy. He had a questing open outlook and a love of nature but was so idealistic that he couldn't see how much pain his course was going to cause his family and friends.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ENTP

I agree with INFP.

Ne > Ni > Ti > Fi > Te> Fe > Se > Si

Didn't read the book. Most propably a very unhealthy INxP.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

ISFP.

He "listened to his heart" and quit his job to explore the greater unknowns of Alaska. FiSe.

I don't know if I'd call him unhealthy, though. Just full of wanderlust and naivette. He should have taken more precautions if he was going to hitchhike through the country then live primitively in the plains of Alaska. The story is interesting, but I could only relate to the Fi aspect (i.e, follow your dreams, be yourself, do what your heart tells you, etc).
    Last edited by neptunesnet; 03-18-2010 at 10:03 PM.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

My dad took off when he was in his twenties with nothing but his vehicle and worked odd jobs to pay his way around the country, down the west coast and through Mexico... his father did a similar thing by train... he is an intp and his father was an esfp... Definitley a P at least
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

ISTP.

Chris never wanted to be bested by anyone. When his sister began playing an instrument better than he could, he quit playing that instrument all together.
    The definition of Ti.

Chris had a moral code that he didn’t apply to everyone. Chris had high moral standards for people he hated, and loose ones for people he respected. Example: he admired a man who was a heavy drinker, philanderer, and a wife beater. But he despised his father for cheating on his ex-wife and eventually marrying the woman who would become Chris’s mother.
    Whacked out inferior Fe (it's better to think of it as he had high standards for the ones he was closest to, and thus often hated them). He showed indignation when he actually felt the impact of these decisions.

He loves taking dangerous approaches to solving problems and achieving goals. At the point of the story where he wanted to cross the river, be bought a canoe (in current times, this would be a $1500 purchase) as apposed to buying a ticket to cross.
    TiSe

Chris hates almost all forms of authority. When his manager at McDonalds tells him to bathe more, Chris takes every opportunity to show disobedience to his manager. Example: the rules that all employees had to follow were ‘must wear SOCKS and shoes.’ At the end of Chris’s shift and during breaks, he would take off his socks right in front of the manager with an angry expression on his face. (passive aggressive?)
    So much Ti you wouldn't believe it.

The necessary details that might have kept him alive (like carrying more food, extra clothing, a pair of mud boots, where he was going to go next, and what he was going to do once he got there) he viewed as trivial miner obstacles that he would deal with once he set up camp in his new location.
    There is no Si in this gentleman.

ISTPs have feelings too, you know. They can do wacky things as well.

MBTI
    INTJ

Default I didn't mean to be mean

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    ISTP.
    ISTPs have feelings too, you know. They can do wacky things as well.
    Thank you for your help, and I'm sorry I made such rude coments- I was in a terrible mood when I posted this thread.

I don't mean to say that all ISTP's are jerks who would leave their parents on a whim- Chris McCandless was just an unhealthy special case, I think. I lashed out because my English teacher is practically on his knees- with his hands in the air- describing what a 'brilliant, inspiring young man he was.' I am either supposed to make an utterly flattering review on into the wild, or come up with irrefutable evidence that Chris was... wacky. If I don't do one or the other, I will get an 'F' for my midterm.

I'm sorry for being angry.

And thank you, once again, for telling me Chris McCandless’ type. You’ve helped me gather ˝ of the research I need to complete my paper.

Thank you.
    Q: "What is the process of seeking the truth?"
    A: "Distilled liquor"

Q: "If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?"
    A: "Between a starving prostitute and a steak sandwich."

Q:How would a mathematician capture an elephant?
    A:He would build a cage, step inside, and rename his new location as "outside."

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Oh, that wasn't directed at you - more at the assumption that Ti doms/auxes don't have or express any feelings, nor do Se doms/auxes have any creative or offbeat thoughts in their lives.

Clearly, this isn't the case.

MBTI
    ISFP

There's an older thread on this subject; I just found it. Type "into the wild" . . . into the search box.

The topic interested me because I know someone whose sibling, when seeing the movie, told him, That's you! (He thinks so also.) I'd been wondering about his type.