User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Yeah, maybe a "what are you good at?" thread would have been more what I would have said.
    No. What are you good at is a different thread. It's the same reason that they don't get you to come up and talk about yourself at a retirement banquet. Your friends or colleagues do it, even though you could probably do a more accurate job. It's why when you introduce two of your friends to each other, you have a tidbit of information about each other to start the conversation off. I don't mind if people want to talk about what they're good at, but the original intent was for people who had interacted with other people to talk about them.

Like Hirsch - I never knew that he did woodworking at all. Here I find out that he's got pretty extensive knowledge and would be a useful resource. He gave us more information, but someone else thought of him when they thought of woodworking.

Introverts are often unlikely to toot their own horns, so I thought it would be good to give others a chance to do so if they knew something that maybe not everyone else would because of having interacted with that person more.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Rather than feeling badly, do what several people have already done and tell me what you're good at. I have no other way of knowing, it still gives you a warm glow to be recognized publicly and I have a chance to introduce your fanciness to everyone here. How can that not be a win-win situation?

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Well, I don't know if that's entirely the case regarding Islamic debates, although I grant you that an unfortunate propensity is often paid towards stereotypical elements of that particular faith. But, this is a typology message board, so it's difficult to decide if the error is one of contribution or personal expectation.

As it applies to religion, I think it is also reasonable to include aspects of a/anti-theism as relevant dialogue points. I don't see that you contribute very often to these particular debates.
    I've dealt with more than enough atheism discussions elsewhere to last me several lifetimes, so excuse me for being a little fatigued on that front. Plus I have to deal with other discussions elsewhere with people who are quite educated on such matters, and I've even shared examples of such with people here. We just recently discussed the inner workings of the secularist mentality, and currently we're engaged in two simultaneous discussions on Hell and various Evangelical sects.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Now now. Night, I think you can easily acknowledge that religion is one of Peguy's interests from the amount of time invested in that forum. Religion is a pretty extensive category. If I were consulting him, Catholicism would probably jump first to my mind as his area of especially religious expertise. Why is that a slam against him? To consider Catholicism and its implications, he's also had to consider how it relates to other religions and his position on them.

Peguy, this thread isn't intended to be a debate about who knows the most about each subject. Hence, I have listed a number of people for each subject.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Oh, gosh, you're just so good at explaining. Thanks for taking the time. But I'm still confused -- something good versus nothing at all is the choice? It's either a thread that lists people's names and some people's names are never listed, or nothing? or do I have that backwards.
    - Lists are always incomplete and the contents debatable. If people are going to say "no list because it's incomplete or I don't agree with all of it," we will never have a list.

- People were given the option of suggesting others for the list. The list was never closed. What's the problem here? If someone got missed, just add them.

- The complaint I was responding to was choosing to view the list as a personal rejection of some sort and complaining about lists in general. Taking things in that route is dooming the whole thing to fail.

So yes, it's an "all or nothing" scenario -- either accept a realistic but fallible list, or accept no list at all. The perfect list does not exist [nor do I rhyme all of the time].

That's my last comment on it; I didn't expect this derail to last this long, nor do I care to invest more in the conversation as I've said what I wanted to say, thanks.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    If you wish, I can provide some examples of what I'm usually up against in these discussions; and you can freely compare them to what goes on here.
    Sure, why not might be an interesting read. Out of personal curiosity, are you referring to online discussions or something more immediately tangible (as is the case with something perhaps similar to academic correspondence) that requires real research?

You may very well have an impressive handle on religion and religious elements. Within the template of our forum, Ive regrettably seen only a fraction of your available acumen.

Like you, Im also something of an aficionado.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

for a few more...

brainheart- making clothes, purses and all kinds of other stuff I'm totally inept at

Oberon- bluegrass!

jenocyde- homemade vegan fare

proteanmix and ergophobe- job search and resume advice

scantilyclad- punk dj-ing!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    Ooh, tell me what they are please, whats your field
    I work in IT though the things I used to be good at I've half lost from disuse or have become outdated.

I tend to keep up on information pertating to space flight and astronomy. Most of my practical application, on the other hand, I'm sure is mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    making chain mail?

LOL, I'd rather not.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Peguy, this thread isn't intended to be a debate about who knows the most about each subject. Hence, I have listed a number of people for each subject.
    I know, I'm just answering Night.

@Night: they're both online discussions as well as IRL discourse.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Can you boys take it outside, please?

This does bring up an interesting point though. I realized after my boyfriend of five years and I broke up that most of the people who were our friends were actually primarily his friends. Not only was he more extraverted than me, but he had more time to schmooze during the day with a wide variety of people. His image was also very important to him, so he worked hard to cultivate certain perceptions of himself. He was not as cautious as me about imposing on others, and therefore many people felt that they were better friends that they actually were. In reality, I put a lot more effort into those relationships, bought thoughtful presents, and was much more loyal, yet he was perceived as a better friend.

Perhaps some of what is bothering people here is that they feel that other people are being perceived at being better at something merely because they are more vocal about it and they feel that isn't fair. They feel the credit being awarded is not aligned with the actual level of knowledge.

Well, to some extent, that's how the world works. I realized after that breakup that while caution and depth is more natural to my personality, I needed to push my boundaries a little if I wanted to make a wider circle of acquaintance friends. I realized that some self "marketing" in a milder form is actually needful.

If you spend loads of time on here and no one knows of anything you can do or that you're interested in, then maybe you could open up more to at least one person. Isn't the purpose of being here to learn more about how you act as an individual and interact with a larger group? There are reasons why certain people emerge as personalities almost immediately (Halla anyone?) and others don't and it has little to do with how interesting or valuable of a person they are. Does it mean you should become someone you're not? Of course not. However, maybe it does show you where you could move closer to the middle if it bothers you.