User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I would consider this much like I would within my circle of friends - someone who might be able to put me onto useful information/resources or people somewhere because they have a little more knowledge of the field than I do.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Right. I'm not coming here for a serious, professional consultation. I will pay someone and see them face-to-face for that, and not just because I want the benefits of being a paying customer--it's also just about respect. I wouldn't ask MacGuffin to draw up a will for me for free because we're pals. But for general info "what do you know about X" stuff? People start those threads here all the time and I think that's fine.

For myself, since I write and edit for a living, I certainly don't mind people asking me about the field or for general info. And I'm happy to look over written material and make suggestions or catch errors. But don't ask me to just outright do my job for you for free. Unless you're Haight, because I've already volunteered to help run your forum which I also have a personal stake in.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Some members of this site are lawyers and professionals working in other fields. I wouldn't expect a consultation from them without pay though.

I rather doubt this thread is trying to make this one site into the ultimate microcosmos in which all the answers of life may be found. I'm guessing most people would consult other information besides a member's opinion, even if they spoke from their profession.
    I realize that. Your name was one of only two which occured to me in the context of expertise relevant to this forum.

There are privacy concerns. If someone wants to advertise their own expertise, all well and good. But if I found my name advertised as a go-to person on a public forum I'd be annoyed. I get enough of that IRL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Do you think it's likely that you'll be overwhelmed here with people trying to consult you for free? And if they do, can't you just not reply? Anyone who is concerned about their privacy isn't likely to share enough information for others to share, or if they do, those people most likely realize you don't want it spread around.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I can be consulted on sewing, I just realized this week that I've been sewing for 21 years. Scary stuff. I've never learned to do good "close fit" though, strangely enough.

I know about virtual worlds, too. I have a feeling morgan wouldn't get those either. :P

I want everyone on the "Indian food" list to show up at my house and make me every meal. I LOVE indian food!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Do you think it's likely that you'll be overwhelmed here with people trying to consult you for free? And if they do, can't you just not reply? Anyone who is concerned about their privacy isn't likely to share enough information for others to share, or if they do, those people most likely realize you don't want it spread around.
    No. I think you missed the point.
    This isn't about me. I think you've made a lot of assumptions here. I've just been pointing out that not everyone sees things as you do. If you really wanted to understand people, you would take that on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    I know about virtual worlds, too. I have a feeling morgan wouldn't get those either. :P
    I know no other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I'm looking at it from the same perspective as three people meeting up in real life. Two don't know each other. The third gives both parties a slight bit of information to facilitate conversation.

That is generally not considered invasive and if it is, usually the party bothered by it learns how to deflect. (eg if one person is introduced as being a doctor and the other has a gnarly toe to show him right away, usually the situation has come up enough that it's no big deal to handle).

Man, I just don't see how something as mundane as this can be seen as a popularity contest, or as an unnecessary intrusion on people's privacy. However, I am interested in how and why others do view it that way.

Riva

Zookeeping: Curzon
    Only if the animals in the Zoo are exotic women.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Oh c'mon Curzon: You have tiger and shark pictures all over the place. (And you looked like you were on pretty good terms with that old tiger too).

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It seems like a fine thread to me and open-ended since anyone can jump in and include themselves. I'm mostly impressed with your ability to keep track of all the people on the forum in this thread and some others you have created in which you remember a lot about people in general.

I think debate is the default mode of communication online based on all observable data, and if anyone disagrees they are going to have to make a convincing argument of it.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)