User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default WTF, Insurance, Is This Legal?

This email popped up in my inbox this morning:

**New Insurance Requirement for 2010-2011**

[The University] will require students to have health insurance coverage beginning in fall semester 2010. Eligible students are required to show evidence of an existing "creditable" health insurance policy or will be automatically enrolled in and billed for the [University] insurance plan. The health insurance plan administrator is Pearce & Pearce, Inc.

Our hope is to ensure that students are adequately protected against unexpected health care expenses, such as those associated with unexpected illness, accidents, or mental health care, that can destabilize a student∆s financial situation and derail his or her progress toward a degree. These potential barriers to attendance and degree completion are reduced when students have health insurance.

**Action To Take**
    Students who are already covered by an insurance policy (i.e. through parent plans, family plans or employer-sponsored plans) must submit their insurance information for verification through Pearce & Pearce's website for [The University] which is a secure site. Have your insurance card in hand to provide your insurance company's name, address, phone, policy holder's name, member ID/subscriber#, effective date and termination date of policy. The charge will be removed from the student's bill once the policy is verified starting in June. Students who do not submit creditable health insurance information will be enrolled automatically in the campus-endorsed student health insurance and will be responsible for the health insurance premium.

The [University] plan is $744 annually, which is billed $372/semester with fall and spring semester tuition and fees. By March 31st you may view the plan summary at Pearce & Pearce's website for [The University].
    So let me get this straight. Unless I submit my private information to a private company, I'm going to be billed for $744 a year. Awesome.

And besides, shouldn't I have the freedom to choose whether or not I even want insurance in the first place? Apparently we're not allowed to take that kind of risk.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Are you at a private or public university? Seems like private institutions could have it in their right to sanction that kind of requirement. Otherwise, I smell fish.

MBTI
    INTP

Public.

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    This email popped up in my inbox this morning:

So let me get this straight. Unless I submit my private information to a private company, I'm going to be billed for $744 a year. Awesome.

And besides, shouldn't I have the freedom to choose whether or not I even want insurance in the first place? Apparently we're not allowed to take that kind of risk.
    Over here in the Netherlands we're required to have health insurance as well. The crazy part is that it is all arranged by private companies instead of the government.

On the other hand, I pay about 1200 euros a month, but I do get 620 euros back from the government.

It's a weird system, but it works well enough, we've got amazing health care over here and everything is standardized enough to make it easy for every body. It is expensive though.
    (removed)

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Our university does that for drugs and dentist, which aren't covered by our provincial health care. If you want to opt out you need proof that you have alternative, equal or better insurance.

Of course I'm in Canada so the laws are different but same idea. Really though the universities will force you to pay whatever mandatory fees they possibly can without making the student outright revolt, so...
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    On the other hand, I pay about 1200 euros a month, but I do get 620 euros back from the government.
    Whoa what the fuck 1200 euros! That's a crazy amount it's a theft to young and healthy people!
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Oberon

I would run that by your state Attorney General if I were you.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Are you serious? Every university does this, public or not.

Yours is way behind the times if it is just now instituting this policy.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

MBTI
    INFP

Is the student health insurance plan HMO?

If it's PPO, then I'd say that's a fair deal.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I think it's legal. The service a university provides is not something you need. If they wish to provide it only to people with health insurance, than that is their right. If you don't agree with that and don't want health insurance, you can find another university.

I don't see how this could be illegal.

Basicly though, it says, get your shit together and find a health insurance or we'll do it for you.

Anyways, health insurance should be mandatory if it was up to me, so I might be biased. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf