User Tag List

First 9101112 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I broke my left arm skateboarding when I was 8.

It was never set properly and one of the bones began to slowly dislocate. Bone chips in my arm from the break began to grow and calcify as my body produced juices to repair the bones in my elbow. As they grew larger, they began to destroy the ligaments in my left elbow.

I injured it trying out for a golf team when I was 13 while hitting a drive on the third tee. I felt/heard a pop in my elbow, and by the end of the round it was the size of a grapefruit.

I ended up having to have surgery on it to remove the bone fragments and regain range of motion. After being told by local Doc's that I would never use my arm again, we found a Dr. in Birmingham by the name of James Andrews. James Andrews (physician) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    James R. Andrews, M.D. is an orthopedic surgeon who practices in Birmingham, Alabama at the Andrews Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Center at St. Vincent's Medical Center. He also occasionaly practices at the Andrews Institute for Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine in Gulf Breeze, Florida. Andrews is widely considered one of the foremost surgeons in the United States for knee, elbow, and shoulder injuries. He has also been credited with performing some of the earliest arthroscopies.

Andrews is well known for performing orthopedic surgery on high-profile athletes from a wide array of sports. He consulted on Tom Brady after his third knee surgery, Brett Favre with his shoulder surgery, and most recently worked with Albert Pujols surgery on his right elbow.
    Well... when I was coming out from the anesthesia after the surgery, they decided it was time to pull out a tube that had been draining the blood from the center of my elbow joint. After being anesthetized, your tolerance for pain is drastically lowered. Think about sitting in a silent dark room for 12 hours and then having a 12 gauge shotgun go off 2 feet from your head. It's kind of like that. Anyway, they start pulling the tube out and my parents got to learn a few new words I'd learned.

That was the most painful...

Following that:

- Falling off one of our jet ski's going 60 mph, and shortly thereafter being hit by our other one (which was following mine 20 feet behind and also going 60 mph) being driven by a fraternity brother of mine. Resulted in a dislocated shoulder, and brain swelling. (first time I ever got a cat scan)

- breaking my arm skateboarding (hey... I was eight)

- Jumping off a branch 25 feet in the air into what I thought was clear water, but it out that there was a tree trunk covered in algae (which was why I couldn't see it, I was also three sheets to the wind) one foot under the water that I landed on heals first.

- Rehab on my arm after surgery. (six months of torture)

- Grabbing a falling sword (brand new and sharp as hell) by the blade to keep it from going into my foot.

- 2nd degree burn on my arm, which I never went to a Dr. for. Luckily it healed just fine.

- Injuring the tendon in my big toe while at Muay Thai. (I went back to fighting on it as soon as I could walk)

- Rope burns on my hand, arm, and leg that I got from doing a back flip off a rope swing out of the same tree I jumped out of. Tore a whole bunch of skin off my hand arm and my leg just behind the knee.

- Dislocating the middle finger on my left hand. (which I reset 5 seconds later)

- Being body slammed by my 6'4" 240lb sparring partner at MMA and both of us landing square on my ribcage.

- Over extended arm bars, leg locks, and chokes.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    probably getting my 4 skin clipped off/mutilated. Although I don't remember it. I was a baby.
    They do it when you are baby because the nerve endings haven't formed yet and you probably didn't feel a thing

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

Giving birth is my #1 worst pains

Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post
    Is there any truth to the statement that you forget almost all the pain when you hold your child in your hands?
    It took me about 6 months to actually forget the pain. After giving birth the first time, I spent the next 1,5 hours being sutured. That was almost as painful as giving birth, but I didn't think I was about to die when I got the stitches, so I guess it was a bit better than giving birth. It took me about 8 weeks to walk normally again

The second birth wasn't quite as bad, but still something I would like to forget. No stitches, and I left the hospital 11 hours after giving birth - walking normally

I personally don't think stories about being hit in the nuts ever can compare to birthing... AND: It's not that women *like* to talk about giving birth; that is just an attempt to handle post traumatic stress

Other pain experiences mostly consists of toenails and fingernails falling off for various reasons, and migraine

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by No Exit View Post
    They do it when you are baby because the nerve endings haven't formed yet and you probably didn't feel a thing
    I think that's BS. They do it when you are baby because otherwise they wouldn't be able to hold you down when performing the barbaric rite :steam:

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by No Exit View Post
    >:|

well besides my jew peen what do I have now? Well, I was in a trampoline accident when I was 6 and knocked out my front tooth on the metal frame. I don't think it hurt that much since it happened so fast.

Never broke a bone or anything. I'm boring, cautious, not reckless, structurally perfect, etc.

Banned
    MBTI
    ExTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Under water, killing red sea urchins, off the coast of the Queen Charlotte Islands, driving down hard to smash open a very hard urchin with my rake, in the elbow of a rock cliff and I drove a spine from an urchin on the wall through my pinky knuckle joint and it snapped off inside. It actually spread the joint out and caused my pinky to curl. That night the hand blew up like a balloon, blackened.

Woke up the next morning with the option to go into port and my season ended or keep working. The work involved using the hand thousands of times, grasping a rake, to knock urchins off rocks and into my bag for 6 -7 hours of bottom time. For this they would pay me $1000, if I got enough of them. I went to work for the next ten days, till the season ended.

The pain inside the joint was somewhat novel, as the urchin spine would grind into virgin nerves and bone. Keeeerazzzy pain. Luckily, God invented endorphins and the pain would become a dull numbness after a time. But at night, it would wake me up from the depths of sleep, making me really really not want to wake up, but somebody is pressing a hot iron inside my knuckle, so I gotta wake up to blinding pain, to make it stop. Stumbled onto the frosty aluminum deck, barefoot, grabbed a pain killer from the front cabin and back to bed and a tough go at getting back to sleep.

Same thing happened when I got my jaw broke, bobbing when I should have been weaving and I caught a hard left from a bouncer. I clipped the elastics holding the jaw in place, after they wired me up, because it was causing me tooth pain. Little did I know that all peoples jaws drop when they fall into deep sleep. The jaw dropped when I hit REM, separating the jaw bone, the pain clock screamed the alarm, time to wake up and turn it off.

I also broke my hand punching a crab underwater who was eye balling me. First shot didn't effect him, second shot blew him into tiny pieces, breaking my hand. I used the hand as an underwater scoop, shovel, doing green urchins in the bay of Fundy (the biggest tides in the world), thousands of times in a day. I could feel the bones grind as I tooled it up. That hurt. The worst part was putting the swollen and black hand into a rubber dish washing type gloves every morning.

Snapped off a calcified branch tip into my instep of my foot, while racing the other Alpha planter in Northern BC. It measured slightly under one inch, when it finally popped out three weeks after it went in. The doctor didn't take x rays when he wrote me a prescription for all the yellow puss that was leaking out of my foot, as he said there was no way I could be walking on a foot that had a tree branch snapped off in it. It popped out a bit when I stepped out of the shower one morning, I bent down and pulled out what looked like the sharpened end of a pencil, out of a hole in my foot. Kinda trippy

I got other stories, but I think my point is made

I'm good at taking pain

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Ape View Post
    I got other stories, but I think my point is made
    I got into a fight with a giant octopus, once. Suckers, tentacles and squirty-ink.

A fight to the death. With the Kraken. Spears. Straw hats. Harpoons.

At just over six inches, he made a profunctory breakfast. Olive oil. Garlic.

Et voila!

Oh, I just thought of another one. ^ This above post made me think of it.

I was scuba diving and the person I was with was catching fish, I had to hold the netted bag with the fish in it. Well, as I was descending I must have gone through a small school of jelly fish. The water was very murky so I didn't see them. A few must have been caught in the netting of the bag because I kept getting stung and couldn't find how or why. That's the only conclusion I could come to. I cut the dive short because I was on fire, and getting back onto the boat I noticed all the stings (over thirty) all over my torso and legs. The water had been warm so I wasn't wearing a wetsuit... My conclusion is that most Jellyfish are treacherous bastards.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    NICE

Not as treacherous as The Globster

These fuckas rock. Boats.

None of this lightweight spiny shit in the pinky crap.

Wasn't the Globster a Narwhale carcass?
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau