User Tag List

12 Last

Default The Converse phenomenon

Okay, here is what I see.

Today, every second or third youngster around the age of 13-18 is wearing Converse shoes.

Basically, they seem like lowest quality chinese footwear available at every market at a laughable price. Converse shoes are, on the other hand, expensive as fuck. Yet, they are almost indistinguishable from crappy chinese sneakers except for the brand name.

My question is the following:

How is it possible that Converse shoes are regarded as ultra-cool in the aforementioned age group while they seem like crap? Is it only marketing? Even if we assume that they're high quality products, I'm still better off if I buy 10 chinese sneakers instead of 1 Converse. I thought of elegant or sporty or comfortable or good-looking shoes as "cool", and now I have to realize that shit is in fact "cooler" than quality.

What am I missing here? I never really understood fashion (especially teenage fashion), but this time I'm seriously confused. Please enlighten me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Don't you remember middle school? Our school had uniform shirt and pants so shoes were a big thing. If all the in-people wore Vans, that was universally the shoe everyone wanted. I even bought a pair of expensive Vans in 6th grade because they were defined as cool.

I even bought into the converse hype once and still have a pair of high top CTs somewhere. Most uncomfortable shoe ever, I stopped wearing them after like a month. I don't know how anyone puts up with those POS shoes (besides getting on your knees for what's in and blowing your peers for fashion points).

MBTI
    entp

came in with the punk age...rebelling against the man with shiny shoes n shit

plus they got health benefits since they dont have heels and are very flexible being made or cloth

Phantonym

It's the brand and the herd mentality. Everybody thinks they're special and rebellious and stuff...by wearing everything everybody else is wearing. I really don't get it either but it's amusing to watch how some people manage to make some kind of a twisted art form out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    plus they got health benefits since they dont have heels and are very flexible being made or cloth
    Not so sure about the health benefits. But it's like walking barefoot without getting your feet dirty. You feel every little pebble...

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I used to wear my platemail boots everywhere, but they were banned in my school and I couldn't stand all the negative attention any more.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

This is a trend in products through-out an innumerable range of markets. Companies have fallen into a situation where they do not actually compete with each other to make innovative or higher quality products. Now, if they're making essentially identically crappy products, they need another way to secure a consumer base, so that's where product differentiation comes in. Two products that are materially the same, except that they might have a different brand name, with different logos and decals, and a different ad campaign. That will be all that sets them apart.

Long-story-short, people fall for this marketing strategy, and they will become convinced that one piece of crap is better than an identical piece of crap because it has a different name behind it. It has a name which by means of marketing ads and the mere concidences of social trends, has becomes more desired than the other names.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

I've never had Converse and I doubt if I ever will. Plus really, are they expensive?
    Oh yeah?

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I loved when Target had 10$ Converse knockoffs, but they betrayed me and sold out to the real deal.
    Now the only Converse i would want to buy are those wedges they make

You have to keep in mind that the previous trend was Ugg boots and those were just as bad.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Unkindloving View Post
    You have to keep in mind that the previous trend was Ugg boots and those were just as bad.
    They were even worse
    Oh yeah?

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Hmm, I liked converse. I have two pairs and they were actually really comfortable to me. As for price, I use to just go over the border and they'd sell them cheaper. So that's how I got mine.

Those are the one's I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.