User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: The bear test

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Did you make it up yourself? I thought it was a meme or something.

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyBunny View Post
    So... which parts were wrong, and in what way? Maybe I could fix the test to apply to more people.

• Bare, empty room = complete absence of memories of childhood.
    Not really, while I don't remember everything I have some very vivid memories. Of course it's hard to compare these things between people but I wouldn't say I had very little memory, not at all.

Basic description of comfort levels and their meanings:

• Comfortable = childhood was pleasant

would not say I had a pleaant childhood though it's the only one I've known, so who knows.

Wanting to stay in the room indicates an unwillingness to grow up.
    I was always been eager to grow up and become independent.
    A semi-dark forest tells us that the subject felt somewhat oppressed by the attention the adults gave.
    nope
    Thick or tall trees indicate that the subject was dominated by adults at the time.
    not any more than any child.
    Basic descriptions of the trees and what they mean:

• Large = adults had strong influence on you.

Note! How dense was the forest? If the trees crowding together, it means that the subject had many adults influencing his life (parents, teachers, older siblings).
    Would not say I was greatly influenced by anyone as a child, in particular.
    Basic descriptions of the level of light in the forest and what they mean:

• Dusky = somewhat oppressed by the adults.
    • Average = received enough attention to be guided, but not oppressed.
    Again would not say I was "oppressed" any more than any child.
    3. Path leading to the forest.
    Adolescence is represented by the path through the forest. A narrow path suggests that the subject had limited options for emotional growth at this time.
    ok, I'll give you this one.
    If the path is free of obstructions, this indicates that the subject had no problems during adolescence.
    well...this is ridiculously untrue.
    Being able to see all the path indicates that the subject knew exactly what he/she could expect from adulthood.
    Didn't feel that way.
    Basic analysis of path:

• Visible path = good idea of what to expect in adolescence.
    • Narrow path = Had limited options for emotional growth
    • Infrequently used path = Strong feelings of isolation at that time.
    • No obstruction in path = Had no problems during adolescence.\
    Again, I'll give you the isolation and emotional growth, but not the others.

Clear water tells us that the subject has no issues regarding sex. Fast-moving water indicates a strong, active sex drive.
    Ok, close enough.

Crossing the water (wading threw, swimming) means that you are open to having new sexual experiences. Avoiding “getting your feet wet” means that you aren’t as open to new sexual experiences.
    Well mine was a creek I hopped over so not sure which one applies.

Taking the cup indicates that you are interested in marriage. Filling the cup means that not only are you interested in marriage, but that sex will be a significant part of that relationship. Taking the bottle and leaving it empty means that sex isn’t important to you.
    Not true for me, at all.

Maybe it is more applicable to more imaginative people or something. I feel like mine was more representative of a forest I would realistically be in, since it was similar to those I've spent time in before.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISFP

Yes, I wanted to leave the room. After all, I'd just woken up,
    and when I wake up I have to go to the bathroom.

At that point I figured the test probably wasn't for me. :-)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Here's what I wrote. No peaking if you haven't finished the test.

The floor is made of wood, the bed is made of wood, and the walls are made of wood. All of this wood is fudge, while the pillows are marshmallows and the sheets cotton candy. Outside the open window, from which there wafts a savor of mint, a great many tree leaves rustle in the breeze. As far as the room's temperature, it is neither too warm nor too hot; it is a perfect blanket of coziness. As far as the room's decor, the only thing that stands out is the painting that hangs over the bed, looking like a slab of marble cake.

As much as I enjoy this room, with its low light and soothing atmosphere, I want to find out what lies beyond.

The forest is neither dark nor light; it's about as bright as you'd expect it to be in the early afternoon. The trees are gigantic things with twisted, gnarled trunks that reach high to join a sheet of green leaves through which snatches of sunlight can be seen. The ground beneath me is made of a loose, dark soil that resembles crumbled chocolate cake.

I look around for a path, but there isn't one, just a lot of soil that is so loose I feel like I'll sink through it. Nor is it easy to set out on a path of my own, since there is nowhere a clearance greater than a few feet. A lot of weaving and winding round trees will be necessary, and I can only imagine what lies beyond the thick wall of trunks that meets me on every side. Probably more trees, although it's difficult to judge.

(I imagined myself as already having entered the forest; hence the absence of the trail.)

I come across a stream in the middle of the forest. The stream must be six feet wide, and rather than water, it flows with something thick and silver like a cross between syrup and mercury. I look down at the oozing stuff, and it's like gazing in a melting mirror.

As it's a stream, I have little choice but to try and cross it, but before I wade through, I head downstream in search of a bridge. I find no bridge, but I do find a boat with some paddles. I step in and begin to row, but the boat will not budge. It's only when I try rowing backwards that it scuds forward.

When I reach the shore, I find a sparkling, long-necked vessel resting at my feet. It's made of crystal, stoppered with a diamond-like plug, and it resembles a flower vase. Nothing is in it except air.

I decide to take it with me. Why not?

I scoop up some of the silver fluid with a fallen leaf and pour it into the vessel. I don't fill it, as that would take too long, but I do get a sample of the stuff.

The key is made of white and brown chocolate, and turning it over with my shoe, I see it has a flattened side like boxed candy. The first thing I think of is a treasure chest full of sweets, but on further thought, I think it's meant to unlock the mouth.

I'm not a fool. I tear the ground up running from that bear, and I have just enough presence of mind to wish I had picked up the chocolate key. If I had, I'd have some candy to distract it with.

I have no reason to think there's anything worthwhile behind the wall, and so I turn back to explore some areas that are more favorable to my purpose.
    So far it doesn't match me that well, especially not the part about the bedroom.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Okay, my answers aren't always analysable, so I guess I'll just post them.

1: It’s warm in the room. The sun is shining through the window. The walls are purple, but they’re covered with treeish plants. There us a fluffy, dark red carpet on the floor and the floor itself is made out of cherry wood. The room smells like cinnamon. The bed that I’m lying in is made out of old wood, the matras is soft and the pillow and the balnket are gold, with green and orange decoration. There is a fireplace on my left, this fireplace is dark brown.

2: I want to stay in the room. The bed is way too comfy to even thing about getting up!

3: The forest smells really nice. The trees are huge and they’re green and purple, but they're also thin and they don't have many leaves. The forest itself is dark, but there are many brightly colored butterflies flying around that light up the place with tiny little candles. The butterflies are everywhere. There are dragonflies too, orange ones and green ones. The path is easily navigated. It’s quite straight, actually. It’s narrow. There are lots of plants growing on this path, so it isn’t really visible, but there are rocks on both sides of it, so this makes it easier to see. I guess it’s old. It used to be well-travelled in the past, but people stopped using it. Maybe because it’s dangerous.

4: It’s a pond, with a geyser in the middle. But it’s not really water. It looks like water, it's even a bit bluer and clearer than normal water, but it tastes like pineapple. I like it. I drink some of the water and then I swim through it it. There are still many butterflies and gragonflies, but there is also a tiger sleeping by the pond, lying in the sun.

5: It’s a cup, a very normal one, the kind my grandmother owns. The cup is with and it has blue flowers painted on it, but it’s dirty. I take it to the geyser and wash it. It stays dirty and so I put it back.

6: The key is old, probably Medieval. It’s made out of gold. I think it’s made to unlock a treasure chest.

7: I greet the bear, and then I give him a jar of honey. The bear is happy. He starts eating the honey, I give him a hug and then I go back into the forest.

8: Depends what the other side looks like. First I take a look, and then I decide. If I like it, I climb over it. If not, I go back.
    Can anybody say what it means?
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Sudden excuse

Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    So far it doesn't match me that well, especially not the part about the bedroom.
    I now realize that the test is grossly inaccurate for about half the people who took it. It worked for me though

But anyway... The reason the "odd room you wake up in" is supposed to represent your childhood is because you would treat suddenly being in a new situation (exploration of environment, deciding if this is a safe location, etc) the same way that you would treat life if you were a child growing up.

The idea that the room is uncomfortable/ comfortable is supposed to be based on your sense of pessimism/ optimism towards any new situation (which is supposedly a product of past experience. although, that's not necessarily true.)

Anyway, I just now pulled this excuse out of my ass.

I wish I could make this test work for everyone, but I'm not that tallented. This test will fail sometimes.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

I now realize that the test is grossly inaccurate for about half the people who took it. It worked for me though

But anyway... The reason the "odd room you wake up in" is supposed to represent your childhood is because you would treat suddenly being in a new situation (exploration of environment, deciding if this is a safe location, etc) the same way that you would treat life if you were a child growing up.

The idea that the room is uncomfortable/ comfortable is supposed to be based on your sense of pessimism/ optimism towards any new situation (which is supposedly a product of past experience. although, that's not necessarily true.)

I wish I could make this test work for everyone, but I'm not that tallented. This test will fail sometimes.
    Any segment of text will contain more layers of meaning than you can anticipate, and these layers of meaning will interplay with each other and their author in ways that are even less possible to predict. Rather than jot down a list of guidelines that are bound to fail when it comes time to use them, it's best to meet the unpredictable head-on and grasp its meaning intuitively. At most, you might prepare yourself by adopting a certain attitude or method that will bring clarity to your task. For instance, you could decide to seek sexual metaphors in a person's text, and you'll find them all over the place. This is to be done with utter spontaneity, though--it would be reckless, not to mention limiting, to think that a certain object by itself must stand for a certain thing. An object is embedded within a context, and this context will always transform its meaning. Nor should you aim for the truth so much as you should aim for an interpretation that will speak the truth. A daydream means nothing until you create a meaning for it.

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Forest

I’m sorry that it didn’t work. I hope this explanation that I just now made up will make the test results make more sense. The test is basically built on the principal that you approach similar tasks/events in the same way (if the circumstances put you in the same position)

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Did you make it up yourself?.
    I found it online, but I adapted it and added explanations.

*Tall trees= adults gave you little freedom*
    Would not say I was greatly influenced by anyone as a child, in particular.
    Again would not say I was "oppressed" any more than any child.
    *If the path was free of obstructions, indicates smooth sailings threw adolecence.*
    well...this is ridiculously untrue.
    *Seeing path= are not confused about what is ahead*
    Didn't feel that way.
    The field and forest don’t actually represent adults; they represent life after an enormous change (room to outside/ childhood to adolescents/ summer vacation to military school, etc). I called it “adolescents” because the room you were in has the same characteristics as childhood (it’s a new place to explore, you get to make a decision about whether it is safe or not, you start searching for ways to adjust yourself/react to it), and from there you go immediately to someplace new.

The trees themselves (not the forest as a whole) represent a possible obstacle/ complication. In a real world example, a tree can block your view of a predator. If the trees are close together, it means (even in a real life sense) you have constricted movement for you if you needed to do something like defend yourself, find shelter, spot a predator at a distance, spot fellow travelers, etc.

Most adults force their kids to act in a certain manner regardless of what the child wants (constrict them, as dense trees huddling trunk to trunk would). For example, you probably didn’t want to go to high school, dress formally for a casual event, and eat you’re your vegetables, but your parents made you do it anyway.

Tall trees also make it hard to tell where the forest ends (without having to walk the length of the forest).

Not knowing where the forest ends represents not knowing where your boundaries are. A boundary is a change in your current situation, one that you need to react to differently to survive. (Example: A forest of plentiful food borders a grassy field where the predators are larger and the food is more scarce. / Parents go from approving of your behavior to being upset with you.)

Going back to the symbolism…
    With short trees, if you wanted to see if the forest was only a few hundred feet deep or several miles deep, you could just clime to the top of one and see how far it goes by seeing how many tree tops are ahead of you. With tall trees, you would have a tough time climbing to the tree tops if you wanted to see where the forest ends. In other words, a forest of tall trees is an unforgiving place that won’t give you any indication when you about to wander into a pride of lions.

Unyielding parents rarely let their children know where/when/why their rules are going to get them in trouble and what it takes for you to earn back their trust –oppressive adults just expect you to obey the rules without question.
    Light levels- human eye sight is poor in dim light. This part of the test was playing off the fear/ frustration of not being able to see what is around you and ahead of you. If you said “dark,” you are at the mercy of being in the midst of animals that have much better eyesight than you. If you said “nice and bright,” you have a better chance of seeing the difference between the movements of an animal running threw the brush and the wind blowing threw the forest.

--
    --
    Sorry about the test. I just found something that was seemed to work for me, so I wanted to share my discovery. I suppose I should have known that it was bound to fail- but the test is giving bad resutls to about 50% of the people who take it!

I didn't realize that when I posted though. It worked amazing well for me, I just asumed it would do the same for everyone else.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

don't read if you haven't done it!
    i think you did an awesome job and it was pretty accurate for me...i did envision my childhood room...it was warm and comfortable...but sparsely furnished for some reason...the window was open and the curtains were blowing...i felt confused and alone and wanted to go outside...i saw the path to the forest it was narrow but well defined and unobstructed and the forest was dimly lit and surrounded by very tall pine trees...but inside was intriguing and not scary...the water was a creek...with very fast moving water and mostly see through...i crossed it and saw the water bottle...it was a plastic evian bottle with a screw top and it wasn't mine so i left it...i saw the bear and very slowly moved away from it trying not to be noticed...came to the wall and decided the best option was to go back the way i came...

interesting test...odd how clearly i saw everything...and what you wrote about those choices seem pretty accurate for me.

nice job.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Sorry about the test. I just found something that was seemed to work for me, so I wanted to share my discovery. I suppose I should have known that it was bound to fail- but the test is giving bad resutls to about 50% of the people who take it!

I didn't realize that when I posted though. It worked amazing well for me, I just asumed it would do the same for everyone else.
    Don't feel bad. It's just for fun, right?

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Re-explanation

Room:
    The reason the "odd room you wake up in" is supposed to represent your childhood is because you would treat suddenly being in a new situation (exploration of environment, deciding if this is a safe location, etc) the same way that you would treat life if you were a child growing up.

Leaving your childhood (just like leaving a room) means that you are about to subject yourself to new situations and posibly new rules.

---
    Feild/forest:
    The field and forest don’t actually represent adults; they represent life after an enormous change (room to outside/ childhood to adolescents/ summer vacation to military school, etc). I called it “adolescents” because the room you were in has the same characteristics as childhood (it’s a new place to explore, you get to make a decision about whether it is safe or not, you start searching for ways to adjust yourself/react to it), and from there you go immediately to someplace new.

The trees themselves (not the forest as a whole) represent a possible obstacle/ complication. In a real world example, a tree can block your view of a predator. If the trees are close together, it means (even in a real life sense) you have constricted movement for you if you needed to do something like defend yourself, find shelter, spot a predator at a distance, spot fellow travelers, etc.

Most adults force their kids to act in a certain manner regardless of what the child wants (constrict them, as dense trees huddling trunk to trunk would). For example, you probably didn’t want to go to high school, dress formally for a casual event, and eat you’re your vegetables, but your parents made you do it anyway.

Tall trees also make it hard to tell where the forest ends (without having to walk the length of the forest).

Not knowing where the forest ends represents not knowing where your boundaries are. A boundary is a change in your current situation, one that you need to react to differently to survive. (Example: A forest of plentiful food borders a grassy field where the predators are larger and the food is more scarce. / Parents go from approving of your behavior to being upset with you.)

Going back to the symbolism…
    With short trees, if you wanted to see if the forest was only a few hundred feet deep or several miles deep, you could just clime to the top of one and see how far it goes by seeing how many tree tops are ahead of you. With tall trees, you would have a tough time climbing to the tree tops if you wanted to see where the forest ends. In other words, a forest of tall trees is an unforgiving place that won’t give you any indication when you about to wander into a pride of lions.

Unyielding parents rarely let their children know where/when/why their rules are going to get them in trouble and what it takes for you to earn back their trust –oppressive adults just expect you to obey the rules without question.
    Light levels- human eye sight is poor in dim light. This part of the test was playing off the fear/ frustration of not being able to see what is around you and ahead of you. If you said “dark,” you are at the mercy of being in the midst of animals that have much better eyesight than you. If you said “nice and bright,” you have a better chance of seeing the difference between the movements of an animal running threw the brush and the wind blowing threw the forest.
    ---
    The path:
    A path is a calming sight in the wilderness- it means “people come threw here, follow it and you may find someone.” However, if it looks like the path is never used, you feel a sense of isolation.

If the path is skinny, you again, have little mobility once you enter the forest. You’d be elbow to elbow with the trees, which will limit your ability to do much of anything. A wide path (wide enough to stretch to stretch both arms, at least) indicates that you have the room to do what you want (ex: make a fire, draw “I went this way-->” in the dirt, etc.) That is why a wide path represents multiple options.
    --
    The river:
    I actually don’t understand why water always equals sex in these tests. I haven’t been able to figure out the reasoning behind it. Sorry for my cop-out answer. I suppose water is one of those things you want to have multiple times in your life (like sex). Water fixes problems like thirst (lust/relief) and heat-stroke (feelings of extreme loneliness to where dieing seems like a relief.) Stepping into rushing water probably indicates how much sensation you are interested in having.

Fish/frogs:
    Animals can give you company; children can do that too. Fish and frogs come from water; children come from sex. Because this trip threw the forest was imaginary, you didn’t have to put anything in the water unless you wanted it there. Life in or around the water represents a strong desire to have children.

The Cup:
    Assuming that running water represents sex, you can assume that a cup is a means of containing it in a convenient form. Marriage (or boyfriend/girlfriend relationships) is a container of sex. If you filled it, it means you were interested drinking the water even after you left the river.