User Tag List

123 Last

Dali

Default Have you ever used a weapon in self-defence?

I've seen quite a few posters here mention that they had a knife within reach of their bed and one or two (prolly more) have mentioned that they keep a gun in the house.

I was wondering:

- What weapons do you own?
    - Are these weapons merely for the deterrent effect in case an intruder attacks your home (or car... etc)?
    - Do you know how to use them?
    - If push came to shove, would you use them in case of an attack?
    - Have you used them? How did you feel about it afterward?

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post

I was wondering; are these weapons merely for the deterrent effect in case an intruder attacks your home (or car... etc)? Do you know how to use them? If push came to shove, would you use them in case of an attack? Have you used them? In case you have used them, how did you feel about it afterward?
    I have several knives, and a couple hardwood sticks about 36 inches long. Don't keep guns, although I am familiar with their use.

No.

Yes.

Damn straight.

Yup.

Just fine. I only broke a couple of their fingers, and a wrist. A firearm is much more final.

Oberon

I am the first line of defense for my wife and children, and we live in an iffy neighborhood. I have a firearm within reach at all times at night, and a permit to carry concealed when we're out and about.

I hope for deterrent effect; most burglars and violent criminals really have no desire to risk death, and I don't want to kill them. I would take no pleasure in harming someone, but I will use the weapon to stop someone if he or she forces the issue.

I have never actually drawn a weapon on someone, but I have trained for it and know how to do so if the need arises.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

no, but i have threatened a rapist with a broken beer bottle

also i used to carry tool like this with me for scratching graffiti, tool for random things and self-defense(never had to use it for that tho)
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

A few knives and an air rifle
    - Are these weapons merely for the deterrent effect in case an intruder attacks your home (or car... etc)?
    Nope, the knives are for practical use. The gun for some leisure time, because I got it cheap and I like target practice, once in a blue moon.
    Yup.
    Define push comes to shove, I wouldn't use them with deadly force unless I really had no choice and am absolutely certain I wouldn't survive unless I use them. I might use them in order to instigate fear however. Don't want to end up in jail just because I harmed an intruder or something. (Law a bit different here then over in America. :P )
    I've used knives to decapitate dead deer I've encountered in the woods for their skull and antlers. I only ever used the air rifle for target practice. I don't like killing animals, so I don't do it.

I've been in a bloody fight in my late teen years, in which some weapons came to light, like bats and stuff. I've used a bat that I took from some guy trying to hit me with it and aimed for knees. Figured that wouldn't kill them, but definatly neutralize them. I don't like fighting, never did. These fights were all instigated by other people and forced on me. Either fight back or get beaten up (or worse). So, I don't regret having used a bat that one time. But I didn't enjoy it either.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    *SNIP*
    Dude, you are a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I am the first line of defense for my wife and children, and we live in an iffy neighborhood. I have a firearm within reach at all times at night, and a permit to carry concealed when we're out and about.
    How does one get a concealed weapon permit? Does your spouse have access to - and knowledge on how to use - the firearm when you're not at home?

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    also i used to carry tool like this with me for scratching graffiti, tool for random things and self-defense(never had to use it for that tho)
    I've heard a little bit about a close-combat weapon that resembles that... or is that the actual weapon? The hand-grips on its side makes me think it is. What is it called? Is it legal to carry it without a permit where you are?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Define push comes to shove, I wouldn't use them with deadly force unless I really had no choice and am absolutely certain I wouldn't survive unless I use them.
    What about if you were (hypothetically) restrained by a burglar while his accomplice(s) carted away all your valuables. Would you attempt to use it then if you had the knife on your person?

Dali

To answer my question, I don't own any weapon myself but, I've given it dwell on this topic quite a bit and, the thought of stabbing another person leaves me cold. Completely cold. I have the feeling I'd be the stereotypical film murder-victim that has a chance to use a weapon and then freezes up until the villain approaches them and knocks it out of their hand. I'd probably feel differently about this in an actual situation or, if a loved one was in danger. I don't know. I hope so...

Keep them responses coming.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post
    I've heard a little bit about a close-combat weapon that resembles that... or is that the actual weapon? The hand-grips on its side makes me think it is. What is it called? Is it legal to carry it without a permit where you are?
    its a centre punch. a tool used with hammer to mark and guide a drill to right spot before drilling metal. i think its legal to carry since its pretty small(bit under 4 inches)
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

fake swords, nun chucks, improvised weaponry

they don't serve a purpose

lol no

no

swing them around when no one's home, I feel like I'm 12/whole again

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    its a centre punch. a tool used with hammer to mark and guide a drill to right spot before drilling metal. i think its legal to carry since its pretty small(bit under 4 inches)
    Ah, ok.

I hope someone here knows what weapon I'm talking about. It's about 6 - 8" long (I think. Not sure) long and is usually made of some form of hard plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    *SNIP*
    You made me LOL.