First 6789 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Your current environment, and previous experience, usually have a lot to do with having weapons around.
    True. I'm just wondering where you all hang out and what you do that puts you in situations where you are forced to defend yourselves physically.

I've lived in some fairly rough neighborhoods and I'm pretty small and mousy. I know that I have to take precautions if I want to remain safe, but I also know unless I want to invest a lot of time into training to use a weapon and go around armed to the teeth, I don't have a snowball's chance of defending myself from even the wimpiest determined male.

So I guess I kind of rely on awareness and stuff and it has been pretty effective. It's just sort of baffling that so many guys don't seem to feel safe despite what I see as their comparative safety.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    True. I'm just wondering where you all hang out and what you do that puts you in situations where you are forced to defend yourselves physically.

I've lived in some fairly rough neighborhoods and I'm pretty small and mousy. I know that I have to take precautions if I want to remain safe, but I also know unless I want to invest a lot of time into training to use a weapon and go around armed to the teeth, I don't have a snowball's chance of defending myself from even the wimpiest determined male.

So I guess I kind of rely on awareness and stuff and it has been pretty effective. It's just sort of baffling that so many guys don't seem to feel safe despite what I see as their comparative safety.
    Try coming from an upper class socio-economic background and going to public high school in Jacksonville Florida...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Try coming from an upper class socio-economic background and going to public high school in Jacksonville Florida...
    That was a dirty trick to have played on you. Were you assaulted with weapons a lot?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

That was a dirty trick to have played on you. Were you assaulted with weapons a lot?
    I had armed guys setting me up for robbery in a gas station parking lot. The hess as the corner of Monument and University to be specific.

And I had my glock in the car, but no rounds in it. Thats when I told myself I would get my Concealed carry license.

I hope you can hear me up there on your high horse.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

when i was a kid our house got broken into several times, and i think that my dad got huge satisfaction from chasing them out with his shotgun. i think that he really looked forward to someone breaking in. he would be furious and bitch about it for days afterwards, but i think he got a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment from the complaining too.

once he shot our refrigerator and destroyed it, and another time he shot our living room window from the inside.

sammy

When I first read the thread title, I read it as "Have you ever used a woman in self defense."

No, luckily enough I haven't had to use a weapon in self defense.

I dont think that my views on weapons have so much to do with environment or any present needs in my situation but my politics or philosophy of life, its not that a feel unsafe and weapons wouldnt make me feel safer if I did feel unsafe but I do believe in personal responsibility as an objective reality, that includes for safety and even if its only symbolic a weapon can represent that.

I also have an issue with the availability of weapons being associated with or even making for a violent society, there was a long time when people had free access to weapons but they managed to control themselves and didnt kill themselves or other people. So in principle I think that possessing a weapon should also symbolise rectitude, you have the means, you choose not to use them at any minor slight.

On the other hand I also believe in duelling, satisfaction/revenge.

People should use situational awareness and other options first.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I had armed guys setting me up for robbery in a gas station parking lot. The hess as the corner of Monument and University to be specific.

And I had my glock in the car, but no rounds in it. Thats when I told myself I would get my Concealed carry license.

I hope you can hear me up there on your high horse.
    Sure. I guess guys are more likely to be victims of this kind of thing so it makes sense that they would fear it. Women are more likely to be targeted by people they know and are even friendly with, so the perception of threat is going to be different.
    ~ John Rogers

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Let me put it this way. I prefer to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it. I feel plenty safe, but I am not jaded enough to think nothing can ever happen to me, or those around me. Awareness is great, but sometimes it's not enough.

That said, I almost always carry a knife, just because it's a tool which I use for many things.

Oberon

I have never been in a situation in which I drew a weapon, but I do see having the capacity for active defense to be part of my responsibilities as a husband and father.

Of course, anyone who goes after my children had better hope to God that they run up against me rather than my wife... there's a small chance that *I* might have mercy on them.