Now THAT is a sexy weapon.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Now THAT is a sexy weapon.
    That, good sir, is my favorite gun to shoot.

And out of my (large cal.) pistols, the one I am best with.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Why and how the hell do you own a carbine?

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post
    I've seen quite a few posters here mention that they had a knife within reach of their bed and one or two (prolly more) have mentioned that they keep a gun in the house.

I was wondering:

- What weapons do you own?
    Not really owning a weapon, but I used to sleep with a big kitchen knife under my pillow. I don't anymore, now I have a baseball bat by the side of the bed that my brother bought me as a gift, and because he didn't like the idea of a knife under my pillow.

- Are these weapons merely for the deterrent effect in case an intruder attacks your home (or car... etc)?
    At the time, with the knife, I truly felt I needed the protection. I would sleep with my hand under the pillow so I could feel the butt of it, and be able to grab it faster.

- Do you know how to use them?
    Think I do.

- If push came to shove, would you use them in case of an attack?
    I wouldn't want to, but I would. Hesitation could be the death of me, so yes, I would use whatever I could.

- Have you used them? How did you feel about it afterward?
    No. Fortunately I have had no reason to, and I've lowered down to a bat so I obviously feel safer than I used to.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Why and how the hell do you own a carbine?
    You talking about the EBR (Evil Black Rifle) built around the AR-15 action?

They're legal semi-autos here in the US. You go down to the gun store, show your ID, pass your background check, fill out the form 4473, pay your $600 to $3000 (depending on exactly which AR variant you're buying), and take it home with you.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post
    - What weapons do you own?
    A shuriken

Wooden nunchuks

2 Cocobolo Bokkens

Bamboo Shinai

About 4 of these. I consider it a weapon

- Are these weapons merely for the deterrent effect in case an intruder attacks your home (or car... etc)?
    Somewhat. I usually practice with most of them.
    - Do you know how to use them?
    Yes
    - If push came to shove, would you use them in case of an attack?
    Well I'd have to use the cutter as I bring that whenever I go out. But if it's at home yea. I would use the Bokken
    - Have you used them? How did you feel about it afterward?
    Not in a fight. For practice.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    You talking about the EBR (Evil Black Rifle) built around the AR-15 action?

They're legal semi-autos here in the US. You go down to the gun store, show your ID, pass your background check, fill out the form 4473, pay your $600 to $3000 (depending on exactly which AR variant you're buying), and take it home with you.

You guys are crazy. I'm already against being able to buy weapons "just like that"...but anything even remotely automatic...was made to kill...not just for self-defense. Small revolvers, that should be it, and that's already pushing it.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

You guys are crazy. I'm already against being able to buy weapons "just like that"...but anything even remotely automatic...was made to kill...not just for self-defense. Small revolvers, that should be it, and that's already pushing it.
    Most people treat such weapons like classic car aficionados treat their cars. They seldom fire them, and only bring them out for special occasions.

And being semi-auto means one trigger squeeze per round. Just because it looks nasty doesn't mean anything, except as a psychological advantage.

All weapons were made to kill, some are just much more efficient than others. I can kill you with a chopstick, should we ban those as well?

Oberon

People don't like those Evil Black Rifles because they look all scary, like something you see terrorist carry on the evening news. However, the rifle/cartridge combination is actually a good deal less powerful than that of the 1903 Springfield in .30-06 that your great-grandfather carried in WWI:

Or if you're from the UK, that would be the Enfield No. 1 Mk. III in .303 British that he carried... arguably a better rifle for trench warfare, IMHO:

Both of the above rifles can deliver heavier, more destructive bullets to longer ranges than the AR-15 semi-autos in .223. The latter are widely known among the Cowboy Action Shooting community as "poodle shooters."

Personally, I think that your "made to kill/not just for self-defense" statement belies a little cognitive dissonance. Effective defense with a firearm requires quick and accurate delivery of bullets into the target. You don't gain any moral high ground by giving the perp more of a "sporting chance."

Once you've decided that deadly force is warranted, in my opinion the only question remaining is 'how fast can you make the bad man go away?'

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Most people treat such weapons like classic car aficionados treat their cars. They seldom fire them, and only bring them out for special occasions.

And being semi-auto means one trigger squeeze per round. Just because it looks nasty doesn't mean anything, except as a psychological advantage.

All weapons were made to kill, some are just much more efficient than others.
    I can understand the need to try and neutralize people. Rubber bullets etc There are numerous ways to do it. Killing is bad :footballreferee:

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    I can kill you with a chopstick, should we ban those as well?
    You can try....