User Tag List

Senior Member sketchymcsketcherson's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

Default HELP with job application

I just got out of an interview with the head of student employment at my local college. He really liked me and the way he spoke made it seem like I was "in".

I need some help filling out my job application. It asks me to list my previous employers from most recent to least recent, just like any other job application.

I've held three jobs in my lifetime, A, B, and C. B and C were both places that I wouldn't mind the guy calling to verify I had, in fact, been employed with. However, I worked A when I was 15-16 years of age (I'm 19 now), and it ended with my termination.

Should I list A down there, or not? I didn't put A on my resume and no mention of it has come up. I'd like to keep it that way, if possible.
    For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication. -- Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    INFP

Since it was your first job, it won't leave a questionable gap in your work history if omitted. I'm not sure if it's legal, though.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Since it was your first job, it won't leave a questionable gap in your work history if omitted. I'm not sure if it's legal, though.
    When I applied to C I never brought A up and I never had to during my 8 or 10 months there.

I just asked my father and he said to put it on there just to be safe and hope they don't call. Everyone agree with this approach?
    For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication. -- Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    INFP

Well, it's a job at a college. They might be a little more careful. If you were applying at some retail store, I would say that it's unlikely they'd contact A.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Well, it's a job at a college. They might be a little more careful. If you were applying at some retail store, I would say that it's unlikely they'd contact A.
    It's a student employment job. I asked about the dress code during the interview and he said the student workers were allowed to wear anything they wanted, within reason. There's not a single mention of a drug test on the application. It's clear it's pretty laid-back. In addition, I already had a good word put in, and that combined with the way I presented myself today seemed to make the guy pretty happy.

MBTI
    INFP

Oh. I didn't know what that meant (just googled it). I guess put it on if it's this tough of a call.

Senior Member ChildoftheProphets's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

I'd leave it out; you weren't even an adult at the time.
    "In the opening and shutting of heaven's gate, are you able to play the feminine part?" -- Lao Tzu

"For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name,
    He marks - not that you won or lost -
    But how you played the Game."
    -- Grantland Rice

“Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.” -- from The Catcher in the Rye

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do, and what a man can't do." -- Jack Sparrow

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I'd leave it out.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

MBTI
    epic

don't mention it.

MBTI
    SEXY

In the ideal scenario you should put it on your job application and give your termination there a positive spin.

Only two weeks ago I had a job interview and I had given up as reference a company that I resigned from without sticking to the termination term. I had expected some nasty questions about that, but apparently the company I previously worked for was very happy about me and they gave a very good reference.
    (removed)