User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Default Being passionate about something

How can you tell if something is worth enough the risk of serious adversity to fight through it all?

How did you realize you were passionate about something? Can you be a bum and still be passionate about something? How do you define it?

Oberon

How about when you start venting in long rants on the internet, on a topic in which you had previously thought you weren't really all that invested?

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    How can you tell if something is worth enough the risk of serious adversity to fight through it all?

How did you realize you were passionate about something? Can you be a bum and still be passionate about something? How do you define it?
    For me I can tell when I'm right about something at times. That doesn't mean that circumstances don't change. But typically, I know when something is worth fighting for. I can feel it. And I trust my feeling. Conversely, I tend to know when to let go of something as well.

I realize I am passionate about something when the emotions from my mind and my body are poured into my passion and they don't spill over. When my passion can contain me and not become damaged.

I think anyone, absolutely anyone can be passionate about something. I hope everyone feels it at some point in their life.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    How about when you start venting in long rants on the internet, on a topic in which you had previously thought you weren't really all that invested?
    I call that denial or coming out of the closet.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    For me I can tell when I'm right about something at times. That doesn't mean that circumstances don't change. But typically, I know when something is worth fighting for. I can feel it. And I trust my feeling. Conversely, I tend to know when to let go of something as well.

I realize I am passionate about something when the emotions from my mind and my body are poured into my passion and they don't spill over. When my passion can contain me and not become damaged.

I think anyone, absolutely anyone can be passionate about something. I hope everyone feels it at some point in their life.
    What if finances got in the way and someone with a passion? Like getting at some university to start a career in something, without funds? Is the passion not worth pursuing if it's not worth sacrificing a lot for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    What if finances got in the way and someone with a passion? Like getting at some university to start a career in something, without funds? Is the passion not worth pursuing if it's not worth sacrificing a lot for it?
    With something like that funds can be usually be found. I'm not sure where you are in the world, so I am unsure of various programs wherever you are. You may have to dig, and it may take work, but if you have the drive, the passion for it, you will make it work. Many people make their dreams happen. Many people triumph over the odds. It happens more often than people think.

Only you can determine what you are willing to risk for something you are passionate about. For me, personally, I think passions almost go hand in hand with sacrifice and happiness. It is like a circle to me.

if you're passionate about something you will find a way to make it work, at least in some sort of compromise
    Call me Visa, please!
    visakanv.com
    visaisahero.tumblr.com

MBTI
    ISFJ

I would like very much to know how one knows if he or she is that unwavering kind of passionate you people keep referring to. Is there anyone to assess it all?

Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    With something like that funds can be usually be found. I'm not sure where you are in the world, so I am unsure of various programs wherever you are. You may have to dig, and it may take work, but if you have the drive, the passion for it, you will make it work. Many people make their dreams happen. Many people triumph over the odds. It happens more often than people think.

Only you can determine what you are willing to risk for something you are passionate about. For me, personally, I think passions almost go hand in hand with sacrifice and happiness. It is like a circle to me.
    I don't know how I define passionate. That's why I created the topic. I've postponed the decision to get into a game design school in north america for instance, for quite a while because I don't think my parents could afford it. There are no programs to get out of Portugal that will help me financially to get there (maybe if it was something less artsy) though.

As far as sacrifice goes, I'm not a firm believe in sacrifice breeding happiness. On the other hand I have been letting my Ti and Fi override my Ne for 23 years now, and taking no big risks.

I just don't don't want to go prison because I couldn't pay my student loans. Also, I do NOT have a workaholic within me, and most of the programs I've seen are for INTJ geeks.

Whatever sorry about that. I'm commiserating :P

I think with a feeling as strong as passion, for myself mind you, there is no question of what it is. I know that it is passion.

I'm not suggesting that all sacrifices breed happiness by any measure. Many things, in all honesty, are not worth the effort. But if you are passionate about something and it is logical to pursue, meaning that you need to work out all the fine points and that they seem doable. Then do it. Weigh the pros and cons of your decision.

Settling is rarely good, it rarely brings true happiness. But you don't want to grow to hate what you were once passionate about because you have to rely on it for life. Weigh the pros and cons, put them on paper, see how long each list is. It may help, it's what I do.

I have some experience with going after my passions, and some have changed and I'm no longer as passionate about them. Others have held me in their grasp for as long as I can remember. But I cannot think of something that I was passionate about that I regret being passionate about it. All of your experiences, good and bad, make you who you are.

Good luck.