User Tag List

First 123

The meanest filing clerk describes herself in her resume as passionate about her work.

She describes herself so, not because she is the slightest bit passionate about filing, but because it is fashionable to be passionate.

If I were trying to be clever, perhaps I might say, she is passionate about fashion.

But she is simply conforming, saying the very thing that will make her look cool. She is simply meretricious.

The word, 'passionate', has become a buzz word, and she is simply picking up the buzz.

So 'passionate' has been leached of all meaning and is now merely a sign and symbol of being cool, of being hip, of being with-it.

MBTI
    epic

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The meanest filing clerk describes herself in her resume as passionate about her work.

She describes herself so, not because she is the slightest bit passionate about filing, but because it is fashionable to be passionate.

If I were trying to be clever, perhaps I might say, she is passionate about fashion.

But she is simply conforming, saying the very thing that will make her look cool. She is simply meretricious.

The word, 'passionate', has become a buzz word, and she is simply picking up the buzz.

So 'passionate' has been leached of all meaning and is now merely a sign and symbol of being cool, of being hip, of being with-it.
    passion as a trend does make for a better aesthetic than apathy.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Usually my passion lends from my experiences in life.

For example: I am passionate about my work. Whatever work I do, I do it to the best of my abilities, allowing room for human error. I do this because.. experience has told me that when I'm working with lazy, unmotivated people, it sucks. And I don't like being a burden on others, I like being known for my independence and work ethic.

I'm also passionate about the theories I've developed for myself that define myself. I have sayings I frequently use that I abide and live by (at least, until I realize I was wrong, and change it from there) that have stemmed from my experiences.

For example: I'm not fully in the business of complaining about something I'm readily willing to do myself.. I try hard to live by those words.. because, to use the example above, you can't call someone out for being lazy if you're doing the same thing.

And finally, I'm extremely passionate about the fundamental things that make me who I am.

Example: I am very equality-driven. I am very independence-oriented. Even if there are times where I'd be more graceful, or more socially acceptable, to ease up on points like these.. I'm incapable of doing so. This isn't necessarily a good thing.. usually it doesn't work out in my favor with situations like this..

Rounding up back to the OP, just because I'm passionate about work, it doesn't mean I'm going to work myself into the grave, or risk injury to myself to be hard headed.
    But the theories I build for myself to live by, and the things that make me who I am from day 1.. I'm not only not willing, but I feel I'm generally incapable of giving these things up.. they're so ground within me that I can't help but walk uphill against the rain, even if it makes more logical sense to walk down with a coat.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by velocity View Post
    passion as a trend does make for a better aesthetic than apathy.
    'Apathy', is just another weasel word for depression. But depression is so uncool in a go-getting culture it must be disguised.

So to disguise our depression we put on the mask of passion.

But what I have noticed is that all these people claiming to be passionate, particularly women, are not passionate but depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Usually my passion lends from my experiences in life.

For example: I am passionate about my work. Whatever work I do, I do it to the best of my abilities, allowing room for human error. I do this because.. experience has told me that when I'm working with lazy, unmotivated people, it sucks. And I don't like being a burden on others, I like being known for my independence and work ethic.

I'm also passionate about the theories I've developed for myself that define myself. I have sayings I frequently use that I abide and live by (at least, until I realize I was wrong, and change it from there) that have stemmed from my experiences.

For example: I'm not fully in the business of complaining about something I'm readily willing to do myself.. I try hard to live by those words.. because, to use the example above, you can't call someone out for being lazy if you're doing the same thing.

And finally, I'm extremely passionate about the fundamental things that make me who I am.

Example: I am very equality-driven. I am very independence-oriented. Even if there are times where I'd be more graceful, or more socially acceptable, to ease up on points like these.. I'm incapable of doing so. This isn't necessarily a good thing.. usually it doesn't work out in my favor with situations like this..

Rounding up back to the OP, just because I'm passionate about work, it doesn't mean I'm going to work myself into the grave, or risk injury to myself to be hard headed.
    But the theories I build for myself to live by, and the things that make me who I am from day 1.. I'm not only not willing, but I feel I'm generally incapable of giving these things up.. they're so ground within me that I can't help but walk uphill against the rain, even if it makes more logical sense to walk down with a coat.
    Hey, you're really cool.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Forgive my asking if it's not but, is that sarcasm?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge